Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakota Digital gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Digital gauges

I would like to use the Dakota Digital gauges and can interface to reduce the wiring in my 1980 Camaro LQ4 6.0L 4L80 conversion. I'm wondering if the can will pick up oil pressure or do I need to run additional sending unit and wire? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

You might need the BIM-01-2 expansion module to read oil pressure but . . . but . . . this is vehicle specific as to whether this is supported within your PCM software protocol at the OBD2 port. Call tech support at Dakota Digital to get a specific answer. I have the same question for the temperature within my 4L60E transmission but I have not called tech support yet.

Rick
Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 PM

Default Dakota Digital

Thanks for the reply Rick. I knew about the CAN interface. That was the reason for asking if engine oil pressure is supported through the CAN on the LS engine family. Thus far I've been unable to locate that information. Dakota Digital tech department doesn't know the answer. I would like to use their gauges with their BIM -02-1 CAN interface, but I don't want to go that route if I'm going to have to install another sending unit with more wiring anyway. It just wouldn't make sense. I would also like to monitor transmission temperature like you. So I guess I'll just keep looking for the answer. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hello,

Here's a thought but you will need to spend fifteen bucks on a Bluetooth OBDII reader and I think five bucks on the "Dash Command" app for your smart phone. With these two, you can read what is available in the already built preset Dash Command "gauges" that somebody has setup for the popular PIDs (parameter ID). You can also customize Dash Command if you know the PID that contains the data you want to be displayed but I have never done this before. Dash Command is currently the only dashboard on my El Camino but somebody had a 15% off sale last week on the Dakota Digital HDX gauges, dashboard, dash carrier, ash tray, glove box door and lap AC vent assembly. Hopefully, it'll all be delivered here later this week.

Rick
Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Hello,

Here's a thought but you will need to spend fifteen bucks on a Bluetooth OBDII reader and I think five bucks on the "Dash Command" app for your smart phone. With these two, you can read what is available in the already built preset Dash Command "gauges" that somebody has setup for the popular PIDs (parameter ID). You can also customize Dash Command if you know the PID that contains the data you want to be displayed but I have never done this before. Dash Command is currently the only dashboard on my El Camino but somebody had a 15% off sale last week on the Dakota Digital HDX gauges, dashboard, dash carrier, ash tray, glove box door and lap AC vent assembly. Hopefully, it'll all be delivered here later this week.

Rick
Sounds like a cool project. I hope that it comes together the way you would like Rick. So that's a good point about the scan device. I have a Inova scan tool but it doesn't show engine oil pressure when connected to any vehicle that I know of. I always thought that the scan tool doesn't support engine oil pressure; but more than likely it's the vehicles that I've used the scan tool on that don't support engine oil pressure. What's interesting to me is that my completely stock 2001 Chevy Silverado has a 0-80 psi engine dash oil pressure gauge. It has the same basic EFI with the same basic PCM as what I've put in my Camaro. I don't see an additional oil pressure sending unit anywhere on the 5.3L engine in the Silverado, so where is the reading for the stock dash oil pressure gauge coming from? It has to be coming from the PCM. But my scan tool doesn't show engine oil pressure when connected to this vehicle?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

My 5.3 liter, 1999 GMC Sierra LM7 engine is I think identical to yours. I'm currently using an aftermarket Auto Meter oil pressure gauge hooked up via a thin plastic hose to where the standard Sierra oil pressure sending unit would go - the middle, top, rear area of the engine. For my Dakota Digital gauges, I will be using an oil pressure sending unit there replacing this Auto Meter gauge. When I first brought this used 5.3L engine back to life, I absolutely wanted to know its oil pressure and this was the only way I could think of. The Sierra oil pressure sending unit is perhaps a little longer but about the same thickness as a ten dollar roll of quarters.

Rick
Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
My 5.3 liter, 1999 GMC Sierra LM7 engine is I think identical to yours. I'm currently using an aftermarket Auto Meter oil pressure gauge hooked up via a thin plastic hose to where the standard Sierra oil pressure sending unit would go - the middle, top, rear area of the engine. For my Dakota Digital gauges, I will be using an oil pressure sending unit there replacing this Auto Meter gauge. When I first brought this used 5.3L engine back to life, I absolutely wanted to know its oil pressure and this was the only way I could think of. The Sierra oil pressure sending unit is perhaps a little longer but about the same thickness as a ten dollar roll of quarters.

Rick
I'm with you Rick. Oil pressure is a parameter that I always want to see. It ranks right up there with a voltmeter and a fuel gauge as far as I'm concerned. There's a good place on the lower rear corner of these engines to mount an additional oil pressure sending unit. It's where the oil cooler lines would be if they were installed right above the engine oil filter. I have a block-off plate there right now on my LQ4 6.0L. I've seen people drill and tap a hole in the block-off plate with 1/8" pipe threads and install a fitting for a manual gauge such as yours or an additional resistance type sending unit for an electrically operated gauge. This is probably what I'll do if I can't get oil pressure from the CAN interface because I have very little clearance at the top rear of the block where the OEM sending unit is.

Thanks again for your help!
Jeff
Old 10-16-2018, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you do end up drilling the oem piece near the oil filter, be careful not to insert the pressure sensor too deep. This could potentially cause the oil flow to be obstructed. The metal on the oem piece is somewhat thin so the sensor would need to be threaded in deep in order to seal. I remember reading something like this happening before.

A better solution might be to get an aftermarket piece with the tap already there. I think ICT billet or maybe another company makes a thick aluminum piece pre-tapped for not too much $$.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:14 AM
Teching In

We often use the Improved Racing adapters to add coolers and sensors.

http://www.improvedracing.com/produc...ystem-c-3.html
Old 10-19-2018, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hdx dd gauges did off of can.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also get trans temp but it’s not displayed (or I haven’t found it). It will only show trans temp if I go into the app on my phone and go into “real time gauges”
Old 10-19-2018, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

I think gen 4 ECUs support oil pressure over CAN, while Gen 3 do not.

Andrew
Old 10-20-2018, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bu
I also get trans temp but it’s not displayed (or I haven’t found it). It will only show trans temp if I go into the app on my phone and go into “real time gauges”
Ditto to what Mr.Bu said. I have HDX gauges, BIM unit and it reads oil pressure (E38 ECU). Same goes for trans temp (can only view it on Dakota Digital's cell phone app as of now, I haven't really driven my car much since finishing it up, might show on gauges if I play with settings, not sure). Good luck.