Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Swap Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 03:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 Swap Exhaust?

I have a 2000 f150 with a lm7 and 4l80e under the hood.

I am buttoning up the final details now like exhaust and air intake. i got the exhaust from just before the cats with 02 sensors from a 03 2500. ecu and wiring harness are also 03.
my questions are
MAF? The truck runs and since it has a MAP is the MAF needed?
I am a little iffy on the open vs closed loop thing and how it relates to the MAF and O2s?
Exhaust Cross over X Vs H VS None? I love the way the rode kill muscle truck sounds and it has no cross over, since i started the project i have wanted that sound but also love shrieking that doesn't pop/crackle or sound hallow like the muscle truck.
I intend to use black widow mufflers any one have experience with them?
I know the cross over is to help pull exhaust form the opposite bank of cylinders resulting in less power loss,
but how much power?i have herd many many different numbers.

Thanks for any help
Old 10-27-2018, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Most swaps into older cars will use the MAF and the front O2 sensors deleting the after cat sensors from the tune. Your truck being a 2000, if you are required to run cats you may as well keep the rear O2 sensors as well.

As far as exhaust goes, i personally had true dual 2.5" mandrel bent pipes with magnaflow mufflers when i first did my swap and later added an H pipe to the system. I preferred the sharpness of the sound before the H pipe was installed, but it's done and I'm not paying to have it removed. As far as power goes, EngineMasters did a test with a 360hp 5.3 and found that both H pipe and X pipe added about 5lb/ft of torque with the X pipe adding about 2hp more than the H pipe... So nothing really impressive is being gained. They also found that both crossovers reduced the noise level somewhat from true separate duals. Another finding they had was that they all preferred the sound of the X pipe the most, but mentioned the added difficulty of fitting an X pipe in a chassis.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_Swap_Ford
The truck runs and since it has a MAP is the MAF needed?
I am a little iffy on the open vs closed loop thing and how it relates to the MAF and O2s?
Exhaust Cross over X Vs H VS None?

Thanks for any help
1) A bump to let others help with the maf or not question; just because it runs doesn't mean it's running right or well. If it came with an maf and you're using the ECU from that set up, then I'd put the maf in.
2) Open loop means the ECU is controlling air/fuel mixture from the tables of data stored in the ECU. Closed loop means that the ECU is controlling air/fuel mixture based on data received from the O2 sensors. The car has to run for a short period of time for the O2's to get warm enough to generate stable/useful O2 data before it can switch into closed loop. So almost all cold starts have the vehicle in open loop. Many OEM set ups also go into open loop at wide open throttle as well. But the vast majority of the time it will run in closed loop as using the O2 data will optimize drivability, fuel mileage and emissions.
3) You like the sound you like. Personally, I do not care at all for the sound of a 90 degree V8 with duals and no crossover. However, if you like it, you won't lose more than a few HP due to lack of a crossover. But -- for me -- put a crossover in.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Teching In

I already had the rear O2s deleted from the tune and the harness. in Ontario we got a new premier and he got rid of our drive clean program so we don't need to get our vehicles E-tested every 2 years any more and the truck passed safety when i got it so it doesn't need one again. so i am not going to run cats

I do want my engine to run properly and not open loop all the time so i guess i am going to run a MAF.
is there a good stock one to pull from the junk yard?
Truck, Car, any differences between them that is not obvious?
does it mater where in the air intake the MAF goes or can i put it right in front of the throttle body?
Old 10-27-2018, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Get one from any truck that has/had an LM7 in it. Or get a new one for that application.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Re-read my previous post — you need the FRONT O2’s for closed loop. Rear O2’s only needed to monitor effectiveness of cats - which you won’t need. I’d put the maf in if the ecu you’re using used one originally.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Teching In

oh yep i see i grouped a bunch of stuff together.
i will grab a MAF next trip to the scrap yard the ecu came from a 03 1500 so it had a MAF.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

the ecu came from a 03 1500 so it had a MAF.
That's the one you'll want then.....pretty sure all maf's are not created equal. Good luck with it.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think ANY LS engine came stock without a MAF.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

if you can handle it, the muscle truck uses 3" pipe stepped up to 4" race bullets. we made a copy of it for a friend....we took it off after about a week of driving. obnoxious loud drone in the cab. might be okay for something you only take out to vaporize tires with, but there is no way you could daily it.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the engine came factory with a MAF and a MAP sensor - obviously it needs both of them. Sure, one or the other can be tuned out - by why would you do that? Why would you change any of the OEM setup in a bone stock LM7?
Old 10-27-2018, 10:45 PM
Teching In

the truck will be weekend truck, occasional daily, and yes for tire shredding.
i have used dynomax mufflers on the truck before the swap and they are good but had a crackle sound to them i didn't like. that why i was going to go with black widow mufflers.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Simplicity if i don't need it i why would i put it on the motor. egr, evap, ac, oil level sensor. stuff like that makes it easier to change things later.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Simplicity if i don't need it i why would i put it on the motor. egr, evap, ac, oil level sensor. stuff like that makes it easier to change things later.
Right. The above don't affect how well the engine runs. MAP and MAF do.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

you definitely need the MAP sensor. these pcm's dont do an alpha-n mode.

you can delete the MAF and run it speed density, but honestly they run so much better on the MAF if they are NA and not "dad-cammed"
Old 10-28-2018, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by truckdoug
you definitely need the MAP sensor. these pcm's dont do an alpha-n mode.

you can delete the MAF and run it speed density, but honestly they run so much better on the MAF if they are NA and not "dad-cammed"
So true.
LOL'd at "dad-cammed"! Hadn't heard that one yet! BUT it DOES fit! lol
Old 01-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Sorry to hijack this thread a little but how did you mount the engine? I got my hands on a 2001 Harley edition F150 for $500 and I already bought a 2000 Tahoe for the engine/trans/harness. Was planning on running the LM7 in something different but hey for $500, i'll attempt this blasphemy any day. Apparently, there arent many LS swapped F150s out there.