68 Camaro Build with a Gen V Swap - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Camaro Build with a Gen V Swap

Old 01-11-2019, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I thougt about using that, its cool. All the companies making accessory drives for these motors and others with my accessory drive using the LT1 intake use an additional idler pulley to get the belt out of the way of the TB. If for whatever reason I cannot get my intake routed correctly around the belt or fan I'll grab one of these.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I smartened up a bit and put the car back on the blocks so I don't break my back.

Went ahead and started to remove this section of firewall to insert my DSE smooth panel. I cleaned out the seam sealer and spot welds to start then cut out a preliminary area to test fit the panel. While I was test fitting the area I found that the firewall and cowl were pushed back roughly 2" to fit the old distributor so I had to find a tool to fix this. I ended up borrowing my friends slide hammer that screws into the sheet metal rather than spot welds to he sheet metal. This worked good for pulling out the majority of the large dented section but the amount of holes needed was going to destroy the cowl so I left it as is once I got the firewall and cowl pretty much in line with the rest of the cowl. I'll acquire a spot welder in the near future and finish up the smaller dents. All holes were filled on the firewall lap and cowl and ground down flush prior to welding the panel in place. I'll need to go back later and fill the throttle petal hole and a couple other areas down low on the firewall. Also addressed the rust around the whiper motor hole.

Once I got it fitted I went ahead and welded the panel in place then went back and ground down the welds a bit.

The burn marks on the panel you see is my sweet nut I welded on the backside to bolt up the Vintage Air motor.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The next day I cleaned it up real good and applied seam sealer and put some primer on it. Applied seam sealer to a few areas on the tunnel along the welds used to make the tunnel higher too.

Like I said, I'll need to go back and pull the cowl out a bit to get it straight. You can see I also did not get it completely flush with the cowl, I was not going for that, I just wanted to get rid of the heater box and make it look a little better.

I don't have a picture but my Vintage Air motor had to be moved over about an inch from the original position due to fitment issues with the raised tunnel. I also welded a nut to the back of the new panel to secure the motor and it fits good now.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lookin' GOOD!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!

I got a few more weeks worth of body fab work to do then I'll jump back on the motor and I be installing a new AAW harness.

Just got word that the headers are done and should be shipped back to me soon so I'll need to see if they fit now. The only issue I see is a problem with the headers is that the motor now sits lower so we'll have to wait and see.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: