Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 horsepower in a 90 hp bag

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So not a huge amount to report, I ordered a bunch of parts, but the intake is on backorder and held it up. I called today and had the rest of the order sent out though so I should have a racepak, heater core, and some other goodies showing up in a few days.

I did get farther with mocking things up, you can see here how tight the water to air is going to be, but I found a different water pump that doesn't have as big of a "button" on the front of it, so that should give me an extra bit of room for it. I also got the stock heater core out so if needed the engine can go back about an inch from where it's sitting here, but it would make pulling the heads off in the car very difficult.

I did finish getting the dash out of the car, that was not fun. I need to do more yoga lol

And this is just a better shot of it with the 26x10 slicks on it. It's better lined up with where it would actually sit than the other shot, still not sure if they'll clear but I remain hopeful.

I did get the garage cleaned up and more organized, aswell as adding some better lighting. It was pretty dim with the little dinky light bulbs, and that's no good, because how are you great people supposed to see with dark *** pictures lol

Old 11-28-2018, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

This is So Awesome!!! I love the way, the right side of the car has 4 different shine levels!!! So perfectly funky!! That's why I hate when people clear over patina, you lose character!!
Old 11-28-2018, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

damn your garage is organized as ****. i need more of those home depot totes
Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
Doug, the hot deal on those IS the ones in the pics above. Black totes with yellow lids come from Costco, at about $7 each(I think). We have a bunch of them!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

ha! they're twice that much at home despot. thanks man I'll have to grab a bunch. my garage looks like a hoarder with all the cardboard boxes
Old 11-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zanie
This is So Awesome!!! I love the way, the right side of the car has 4 different shine levels!!! So perfectly funky!! That's why I hate when people clear over patina, you lose character!!
Yeah I love the patina this car has, it definitely tells a story. It's what made me fall in love with it in the first place

Old 11-28-2018, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man! It still has a bit to go but I'm slowly chipping away at it. If you were local you could have a few of mine, I've got like 5 empty ones now after going through them all lol I got them at Home Depot for like 10 bucks each on sale, I didn't even know Costco had them, but 7 bucks is a wicked deal
Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Parts have started showing up now, but progress is still slow with 13 hour workdays 7 days a week. But you guys don't care about that, onto the shiny things!

this is a box of used parts I picked up. The box is deceiving lol no rods yet but there's lifters, dual springs, head studs, ls9 gaskets, rod bolts, a cam and vette accessories in there
Old 12-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

The racepak is a really cool piece I'm excited to play with.

I wanted to keep the interior simple and not ruin how old school it is too much, and the racepak will show me everything I need without imposing too much.

so managing to fit almost everything I need into the dash means I don't need as much of a centre console, so the heater controls are replacing where the dimmer switch was, the racepak is replacing the radio and factory heater controls and the new radio (not the one pictured) is replacing some vents. All that leaves for the console is USB ports for the racepak and ecu, and charging ports, along with the shifter and of course, cup holders

This little heater from vintage air is a badass unit, it's tiny and should put out enough heat for the cold spring and fall mornings. And in the winter if I'm feeling dumb enough.

And that's where I'm at now, the block I was using for mock up went to the machine shop for a different car, and I'll be assembling that soon. I'll throw some pictures of that process up on here, just for fun. Oh and my backordered intake showed up last night. It's pretty.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

All work and no play - careful there - 13x7 is a great vintage wheel size, but not sustainable as a work habit. Parts bin coming along nicely! Is that a bench seat?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
All work and no play - careful there - 13x7 is a great vintage wheel size, but not sustainable as a work habit. Parts bin coming along nicely! Is that a bench seat?
haha well put. I do shift work so I'll do this for like 3-4 weeks and then I get a full week off. That's when I get **** done in the garage, and yes it is a bench seat that'll get reupholstered after the cage and interior work
Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

you work up in ft mcmurray?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Tickled that you’re keeping the bench!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Tickled that you’re keeping the bench!
OK, as long as the harness is good in the twisties…..
Old 12-13-2018, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Got a sneaking feeling this one won't place a premium on turning.

But I could be wrong....
Old 12-13-2018, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

you work up in ft mcmurray?
sometimes, I get sent all over the place from bc to Manitoba. You from up here somewhere?

Originally Posted by G Atsma
OK, as long as the harness is good in the twisties…..
Got a sneaking feeling this one won't place a premium on turning.

But I could be wrong....
Oh it's gonna see twisties lol I don't want it to get too out of hand as a straight line car, most of the time it'll be used to go camping in the mountains, road trips, getting groceries, all that. It will be very much a street car.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Understand. The difference here is one of perspective I think. I'm a former road racer -- so when one says "twisties", I think of something that's built to stop and turn every bit as well as it accelerates. Because of the configuration of the little wagon (my racer was a 70's rwd Corolla) -- the big V8 is gonna sit pretty far forward and it's gonna have a pretty significant front wheel weight balance. Not a deal breaker -- but would take a good bit of work suspension-wise to help allow for that. Not to mention - some significant brake upgrades and serious rubber up front. You won't necessarily need any of that to make it a fun, reliable street car that gets driven a lot. But I'd love to see the suspension and body/fender mods to allow big rubber to be fitted setting this thing up to be a real corner carver.....do it! And then the bench does become problematic without a harness.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Understand. The difference here is one of perspective I think. I'm a former road racer -- so when one says "twisties", I think of something that's built to stop and turn every bit as well as it accelerates. Because of the configuration of the little wagon (my racer was a 70's rwd Corolla) -- the big V8 is gonna sit pretty far forward and it's gonna have a pretty significant front wheel weight balance. Not a deal breaker -- but would take a good bit of work suspension-wise to help allow for that. Not to mention - some significant brake upgrades and serious rubber up front. You won't necessarily need any of that to make it a fun, reliable street car that gets driven a lot. But I'd love to see the suspension and body/fender mods to allow big rubber to be fitted setting this thing up to be a real corner carver.....do it! And then the bench does become problematic without a harness.
i won't be going crazy with it off the hop, but it will get a coilover conversion up front, and sway bars, aswell as the widest wheel/tire combo I can fit under the stock fenders. Brakes are a bit of an issue, I want to swap to a different spindle with a 5 lug pattern and better brake options, but because of the steering being behind the suspension it makes it weird.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Vorteccrack
i won't be going crazy with it off the hop, but it will get a coilover conversion up front, and sway bars, aswell as the widest wheel/tire combo I can fit under the stock fenders. Brakes are a bit of an issue, I want to swap to a different spindle with a 5 lug pattern and better brake options, but because of the steering being behind the suspension it makes it weird.
I've got a bit of familiarity with it -- I'd have thought you make a run at getting rid of that steering box/Pitman/idler arm set up just for the room and the benefits of putting a quicker rack in it. But that's lots of work. Coilovers provide access to a range of spring rates which you'll need to figure out what's gonna work. The lack of struts provides some engine width room up top, but narrows things up at the bottom - you'll figure it out I'm sure. As for brakes -- you're gonna need WAY more stopping power - which is of course provided not only by more brake but also by more tire. And there's just not a lot of room under the stock front fenders -- hence my comments. You'll sort it out - I can tell!
Old 12-14-2018, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vorteccrack

sometimes, I get sent all over the place from bc to Manitoba. You from up here somewhere?

not me, the wifey is originally an Edmontonian. She's been teaching me cultured things like hockey and such

Quick Reply: 1000 horsepower in a 90 hp bag