Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Gen Camaro Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default First Gen Camaro Swaps

What's everyone using for front runner systems? Post pics with details, please. I'm in the process of balancing my rotating assembly and the machine shop is asking for the harmonic balancer. I'm not quite sure which LS vehicle type to use for my LS2 based, 427. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the stock '02 F-body on my '68 swap and added the Holley AC compressor bracket. Using the Holley mounts, trans crossmember and exhaust system required notching the factory subframe crossmember for the F-body alternator and bracket.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

I used the factory C5 Corvette accessories with the holley AC setup for several years. Great working setup but I was disappointed in one aspect (alternator output). On start up , I was getting 14.0v. While sitting in traffic in with everything running (AC, cooling fans, radio ect) I was experiencing a lower than expected voltage, around 12.3v. one thing to consider was I am using an Entropy radiator with their fans. While doing a great job of cooling, the fans are power hogs. Originally I had a used the factory corvette alternator (C5). Wondering if my alternator was not working u to speed, I upgraded to a C6 145 amp one. Installed it, same results. Even though the alternator is rated at 145 amps, I was never about to find out what its capabilities at idle (when you really need the power). I was running a 4AWG charging wire and everything else was good to go.

Looking for a change, I ended up buying Holley's Mid Mount setup. I found someone who wanted my old setup so it made the purchase easier. I read about the new alternator design and using a C7 water pump (cartidge type). After installation, the results blew me away. The biggest advantage I see initially is the alterantor output. This new style (similiar to a Mech Man) has on output of around (info I found through Holley) of 100 amps at idle. On startup, voltage is at 14.3v and I started driving it. with everything going (AC, both fans Ect) at idle voltage is still at 14.0v. I see this being an advantage in helping the electrical system, I don't think your cars electrical system is design to run below battery voltage ;-).

Not saying everyone has to go with the Mid Mount even though I love its compact design, I would definitely recommend upgrading to their new alternator if you are having charging issues. Also, make sure your charging wiring is up to speed also (proper size). It has the same bolt spacing as the camaro/truck LS alternators. Looking good and excellent performance is a win/win in my book.

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...BoC5CIQAvD_BwE
Old 12-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Here is the new Mid mount installed in my car.

​​​​​​
Old 12-09-2018, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I'd get a ATI for that ever style FEAD you're going to run. If you eciide to run Holleys' new mid mount like 130fe commented on, you can opt for a ATI balancer insted of a OEM pc.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I'd get a ATI for that ever style FEAD you're going to run. If you eciide to run Holleys' new mid mount like 130fe commented on, you can opt for a ATI balancer insted of a OEM pc.

i am am running the version with the ATI balancer. Not sure if it is absolutely necessary but a nice piece in the end.