Sponsored by:

Dakota Digital button wiring: sw1 sw2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Dakota Digital button wiring: sw1 sw2

Hello all,

I'm trying to wire the two buttons on my Dakota VHX box (sw1 and sw2) and I've run into a couple of problems. Two switches are provided, each with 3 wires. The written instructions say to put a white wire in SW2 and a red wire in SW1. It also states not to use the outlet for the dimmer switch, which is right next to the sw1 and sw2 outlets, for anything at all except the dimmer switch. However, the printed diagram shows one switch with all 3 wires plugged into the controller. Red goes to sw1, white goes to sw2 and black goes to the ground on the dimmer controller. I can't believe Dakota would go to the expense of including two switches if you weren't supposed to use both, but how to wire both switches is unclear to me. Can someone explain how they wired these switches? In the below picture A is how the written diagram shows the wiring, B is how I interpreted the written directions.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are the switches 3 position momentary or are they 2 position, off and on? I have a VHX as well but won't be using the DIM module or the switch inputs.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've installed these and it is super simple, you are probably over thinking the entire thing. Why not contact Dakota Digital directly for clarification on their directions?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they change the design of the SW switches? I used to have the VHX stuff and now have HDX series in my car. I remember the SW switches were 2 wires (both black) and were a normally opened, momentary switch. Pick one wire from each switch, tie them together and ground them. Take the other wires (from each switch) and put them in the SW1 and SW2 terminals on the control panel.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, each switch has 3 wires, which is what is confusing to me because the written instructions indicate they would only have two wires like you mentioned. I plan on contacting Dakota Digital, however they aren't open and I'm usually not able to work on the project during the week and their support line isn't open. I was hoping to get an answer so I could get this wiring finished up.

I don't think I'm over thinking this as the written instructions are directly in opposition to what the wiring diagram is showing. I'm curious if perhaps a change in design may have caused this, or I received incorrect switches or something else.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

So if they are three wire, they should have a common, normally open and normally close contact. Take an ohm meter and see which is normally open, then operate the switch to see if it closes and you get continuity. Those will be the ones you need......like 130 said above.....should have terminals on the controller to tie the other sides to. Those are programming switches for the controller. I have a dimmer on mine, but it is not connected like that. It does go to the controller but I can't remember exact wiring. I just know it's not the way you show, has nothing to do with the sw1 and sw2 switches.

T,
Old 12-09-2018, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Below is a copy of the wiring diagram from someone else's installation and I notice the switch wiring is different than what is shown on my diagram. In photos I have noticed that others' installations use two switches which are just on and off buttons. This is different than the switches which were provided with my kit, which have an up (1) position and a down (2 position). Given that the switch I have has an up and a down feature I'm curious if perhaps they've combined both switches into one, but didn't mention it in the instructions and also accidentally included an extra switch like the old kids have (this is all speculation). As was stated above, I need to test continuity to see what the switch is doing.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
VHX manual main.docx (470.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

My concern for a potential change in design, typo in the instructions or diagram or simple confusion is why I said to contact them directly.

All the Dakota Digital stuff I've owned, seen or installed had a manufacture date, revision or other identifying mark on it. I would make sure to have that information handy and contact them before proceeding. Best case it doesn't work as desired, worst you let the warranty smoke out.

Just my suggestion.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the sake of posterity I'll follow through on the results here. My switch is installed in the car but I have the extra one so I went and grabbed it to test it. I will call Dakota tomorrow to confirm but from what I can tell the kit used to come with two switches, each had one button and two wires. My kit came with two switches that looked like the switch pictured below, but had three wires. Because the past installations I've seen included two switches and my kit came with two switches it seemed obvious that both switches should be installed, however if you followed the written instructions this didn't seem to make sense given each switch had three wires. The printed diagram indicates only one switch is needed.

I just tested the new switch with a multi-meter and it seems that one switch now combines the features of the two older switches. I'm not sure why they included two in the kit if this is the case and was the cause for my confusion. Push or hold up ( I ) for the SW1 features and Push or hold down ( II ) for the SW2 features. I installed my controller box this weekend and since this seemed the most likely reasoning I went ahead and wired it up, so I won't have to be taking everything apart.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

That makes much more sense now. You didn't happen to mention the switch had three positions in your initial post and you didn't include a picture of said switches.
While installing the last one and having problems with where to hide them I wondered why Dakota Digital included two momentary switches when a single would be simpler to hide.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I was unaware at first that all kits did not come with rocker switches.

Hopefully this will clear things up for anyone else with this issue. I called Dakota today and can confirm that they have changed the design of the switches. The written instructions could be interpreted to fit this change if only one switch were included, but are obviously they are a holdover from the old design. I confirmed that I was sent an extra, unneeded switch, which is what was confusing here given the old design required two non-rocker switches. Also, the new wiring diagram, according to the tech guy, is not written properly. It indicates that the black wire from the switch should be wired in the same port as the black wire from the dimmer switch (if used). According to tech support, this is only true if the dimmer switch is not used. If the dimmer switch is used, as in my case, the black wire from the rocker switch should be located on an external ground. One switch = Red wire to SW1, White wire to SW2, Black wire to dimmer switch port if no dimmer switch is used or external ground if dimmer switch is used.

To sum up quickly: The VHX series Dakota Dash now comes with a single rocker switch (3 wires) which replaces the previous two individual switches (2 wires). The instructions have not been updated accordingly and should be wired as indicated above.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a better/easier design than the 2 separate buttons.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I agree completely. I installed mine in the ashtray and I was particularly fond of a second button taking up all the room.