Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

55/58 Chevy Truck 5.3 4L60e Build.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey BAM, any updates?? We're developing withdrawal symptoms here!!
Old 03-28-2019, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Well once again I could not leave well enough alone. The more I looked at the truck the more 20x12 in the rear kept on calling me. So I decided on new shoes for the project.
I thought 20's in the rear would look better with the Fleetside bed. So I went with 18x7 front, and 20x12's rear.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are awesome sir , are you a bodyman by trade ?
Old 03-29-2019, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Chipping away.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ijimmy
You are awesome sir , are you a bodyman by trade ?
Thanks man, and no I'm not a bodyman by trade. This is just a hobby for me.

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Chipping away.
Yep, if I keep chipping away it will be finished someday.lol
Old 03-29-2019, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAM55
Yep, if I keep chipping away it will be finished someday.lol
That is exactly the approach that I'm taking with my swap as well - biggest difference is that I don't have the skill level that you obviously do. That's OK though, it'll still be plenty rewarding when I hear it fire up for the first time.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Yes another change.lol I keep looking at my 55 hood and my 58 hood and thought it would look good if I grafted the 58 hood onto the 55 hood.

Mocked up to see how it would flow.

Welding it in.

Done

Last edited by BAM55; 09-05-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow nice work.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Motown 454
Wow nice work.
Thank you
Old 04-10-2019, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Another subtle modification most people won't immediately notice but makes the difference between looking good and looking great. Some day someone will be staring at your truck thinking something is different but can't quite place it.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Another subtle modification most people won't immediately notice but makes the difference between looking good and looking great. Some day someone will be staring at your truck thinking something is different but can't quite place it.
Thanks man and yes those are the kind of mods I like to do. The head-scratching modifications are what I call them. You are right about most will notice immediately. I showed my brother this and asked him what's different? He said something is but I'm not sure what.lol
Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BAM55

I am working on a build but not to your extent it's a 59 I have in the conversion thread. My family has had the truck for a long time sitting and now everyone is eager to drive it as I am. It's clean and we decided to leave the original, original so we went with a new chasis. Body work is my weak part as I've never done any of this. Done a lot of electrical and mechanical for years never body stuff on anything.

Where do I start on the chair body build and fitment. When do you know the body is ready to paint? Do I build it all electrically and mechanically before body work or what?

Any news is good. I'm a little new on older vehicle body stuff. Thank
Nick
Old 05-20-2019, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Becker
BAM55

I am working on a build but not to your extent it's a 59 I have in the conversion thread. My family has had the truck for a long time sitting and now everyone is eager to drive it as I am. It's clean and we decided to leave the original, original so we went with a new chasis. Body work is my weak part as I've never done any of this. Done a lot of electrical and mechanical for years never body stuff on anything.

Where do I start on the chair body build and fitment. When do you know the body is ready to paint? Do I build it all electrically and mechanically before body work or what?

Any news is good. I'm a little new on older vehicle body stuff. Thank
Nick
Your questions are way too broad and no way to answer all that is involved here. All I can say is there are good videos on youtube that may help you with specific things you are trying to learn or accomplished. A question like how do you know a panel is ready for paint. I can tell you block sanding, running through your grits with a guide coat, and then finally wet sanding or shooting a sealer and sometimes doing both. Now that means nothing if you never done it before or know how to block sand, that is a art in itself. You can do it but its all developing technics and procedures that work for you as an individual. There is no one answer if you ask 10 people you will get 10 answers and none of them would be wrong.

I’d just say dig in and ask specific questions when you run into issues, join some of this autobody forums and read and get info, watch youtube videos, and talk to any and all body and paint guys you meet.

Last edited by BAM55; 05-29-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your questions is way too broad and no way to answer all that is involved to answer here. All I can say is there are good videos on youtube that may help you with specific things you are trying to learn or accomplished. A question like how do you know a panel is ready for paint. I can tell you block sanding, running through your grits with a guide coat, and then finally wet sanding or shooting a sealer and somethings doing both. Now that means nothing if you never done it before or know how to block sand that is a art in itself. You can do it but its all developing technics and procedures that work for you as an individual. There is no one answer if you ask 10 people you will get 10 answers and none of them would be wrong.

I’d just say dig in and ask specific questions when you run into issues, join some of this autobody forums and read and get info, watch youtube videos, and talk to any and all body and paint guys you meet.
Awesome man, yeah re-reading it I can see what you mean being broad. I have done a little bit of everything but never done a full vehicle so I wasn't sure what a seasoned person would do first I suppose. Not sure that makes sense either Basically don't want to regret doing/not doing something in a certain phase.

Im going to finish the mechanical and put the body back on in an unfinished state and try and get it road worthy before disassembly and body work. It sounds like I need to do more research on the body shop side of things as I am the least familiar in this department.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:43 PM
Teching In

BAM55 awesome build Sir. I am working on a 59 fleet side, Question to anyone that may have been where I am about to go.
I have two trucks, my project Deluxe Cab and my donor Regular Cab. I want to cut the complete firewall toe board and floor from my donor which came from Kansas. And replace it my Project Cab of which came fro MS. For the obvious reason rust and more rust. I know there has to be a billion spot welds. As anyone here accomplished this task?
Appreciate it, and Hello for Houston TX
Old 07-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Looking forward to another update, whenever you're able to get to it.

(As long as my project has taken, I definitely understand that "real life" can get in the way...)
Old 09-05-2019, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project Sandy
BAM55 awesome build Sir. I am working on a 59 fleet side, Question to anyone that may have been where I am about to go.
I have two trucks, my project Deluxe Cab and my donor Regular Cab. I want to cut the complete firewall toe board and floor from my donor which came from Kansas. And replace it my Project Cab of which came fro MS. For the obvious reason rust and more rust. I know there has to be a billion spot welds. As anyone here accomplished this task?
Appreciate it, and Hello for Houston TX
Thanks man,
Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
Looking forward to another update, whenever you're able to get to it.

(As long as my project has taken, I definitely understand that "real life" can get in the way...)
No real updates to speak of but I got the doors and hood painted and I currently blocking the bed trying to get it ready for paint. I have to install windows, its getting there slowly but surely.

Here are some pics of how the doors and hood turned out.

I was not going to post any pics until I had everything together but you asked.lol
Old 09-05-2019, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am very impressed with the work you have done! Your truck is coming along very nicely, though it troubles my mind thinking you have made all this progress custom-fabricating stuff and only as a "hobby"? Great work man, keep it up! My best friend has a 1955 and this thread will inspire him to get his running!
Old 09-06-2019, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Thanks man,

No real updates to speak of but I got the doors and hood painted and I currently blocking the bed trying to get it ready for paint. I have to install windows, its getting there slowly but surely.

Here are some pics of how the doors and hood turned out.

I was not going to post any pics until I had everything together but you asked.lol
AWESOME, another BAM55 update!! So purrrty...
Old 09-06-2019, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I am very impressed with the work you have done! Your truck is coming along very nicely, though it troubles my mind thinking you have made all this progress custom-fabricating stuff and only as a "hobby"? Great work man, keep it up! My best friend has a 1955 and this thread will inspire him to get his running!
Thanks man I really appreciate the kind words. Yeah its a hobby for me but its also a sickness.lol

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
AWESOME, another BAM55 update!! So purrrty...
Thanks man

Quick Reply: 55/58 Chevy Truck 5.3 4L60e Build.