Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably the 10000TH time you saw this question!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Probably the 10000TH time you saw this question!!

I am looking for a quick straight answer, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. First i have an LQ9 (6.0) from an 04 Escalade with Electronic throttle and whole wiring harnes. It obviously came with an Automatic transmission originally too. I am putting it into my 67 camaro, and at the point where i have the engine and T56 6 speed transmission from a 2000 Camaro SS mounted into the car. I know the truck intake doesn't work with the stock hood, not to mention it's ugly as hell. I put a pilot bearing in the back of the crank before putting the motor and trans together before installing them. But from what I hear, I will need a balancer off of a manual vehicle. I also know the front accessory belt and pulleys are all different too from truck to car intake.
However, more importantly, I need a car intake, but I didn't know wheather to just buy an intake, and the injectors, throttle body, sensors, will all just swap over, or wheather I'm better off buying an intake that has all the stuff on it.
Also, what PCM stuff is recommended on a swap like this?
All things considered, the motor and trans are stock, and I just want to get the car together and running before I worry about tearing it down for cams, heads, and other upgrades.

Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

The ONLY difference between stock balancers is the offset or spacing for accessories, Closest to the engine is the Corvette balancer, followed by the Gen 4 F-body (others used this one too), and furthest out is the truck and Gen 5 F-body balancer. Holley's website has a great illustration on this. The LQ9 has the truck balancer. NO difference between manual/automatic.

Last edited by G Atsma; 01-02-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar question, I have a 68 camaro with an lq4. Im having clearance issues, which headers/exhaust manifolds fit? some hit my power steering box and others like long tube headers hang low and cause me to bottom out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Op, it will be much cheaper to buy a intake with everything on it AND be less of a hassle trying to piece everything together.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Keep the truck spacing accessories. Get a 98-02 LS1 (with spacers) or 2010 camaro LS3 water pump. Ue an LS1 or LS6 intake (cathedral port).
You can probably reuse the injectors, might have to remove the plastic tips and make a custom hold down and aftermarket rails.
Use the ecu, TB, MAF, etc and harness you got.
Post 78
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-build-4.html
Old 01-02-2019, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaier
I have a similar question, I have a 68 camaro with an lq4. Im having clearance issues, which headers/exhaust manifolds fit? some hit my power steering box and others like long tube headers hang low and cause me to bottom out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Check into the Holley system. They have Motor Mounts/Oil Pan and headers that are made to work together so they will fit the first time.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
The ONLY difference between stock balancers is the offset or spacing for accessories, Closest to the engine is the Corvette balancer, followed by the Gen 4 F-body (others used this one too), and furthest out is the truck and Gen 5 F-body balancer. Holley's website has a great illustration on this. The LQ9 has the truck balancer. NO difference between manual/automatic.
To G Atsma's point - I bought a new crate LS3 -- it comes equipped with a flex plate for an automatic. I removed the flex plate and installed my choice of flywheel/pressure plate/disc and manual tranny. Never touched the balancer that came on the car. Works like a champ.