LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   Torque monster 84 trans am lq4 4l80e swap (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1913016-torque-monster-84-trans-am-lq4-4l80e-swap.html)

Kaleb_ls2 01-07-2019 10:34 PM

Torque monster 84 trans am lq4 4l80e swap

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I've been lurking on the forums for a while now and yes I've searched, but I'm at the point where my questions are getting too specific to find an answer to. I am on a budget and have an lq4 I am rebuilding to go in an 84 firebird. I want to build a torque monster of a motor and don't plan on revving past 5500-6000. It will be ran mainly on e85 but I'd like it to be flex fuel capable. heres my build plan so far:​​​
ARP rod bolts
706 heads
.048 in thick fel pro head gaskets to put me at 10.4 comp.
Stock bottom end with new rings and bearings
F body oil pan
Need help on cam, thinking triple 12 or something similar?
​​​​​​hardened pushrods and stronger valvesprings
Ls2 timing chain
Melling high pressure oil pump
Speed master/pro comp intake
102mm tb
F body accessories
Siemens 80# injectors
Walbro 450 fuel pump​​​​​​
Aeromotive a1000 fpr
4th gen plastic gas tank
Stock radiator
Stall converter, unsure of stall speed
manual 4l80e
12 bolt 3.55 or 3.73 gearing
Ls1 f body clamshells
Hooker ls swap brackets
Flipped truck manifolds?
Smaller turbo?
​​​​​I'm sure theres plenty I missed but for now that's the basics, its going to be a street car I can have fun with but also take on occasional 2-5 hour trips, it will be a fun only strip car and won't see it much. I'm also interested in/debating on doing a smaller single turbo like in the 60-70mm range that will spool fast enough for my powerband but not die off before 5500 rpm so I'd be curious of what turbo everyone suggests. Like I said in my list I mainly need help figuring out my cam and converter, I want a smaller cam for more low end, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post and thank you for any suggestions!

Toddoky 01-08-2019 07:23 AM

I don’t see any reference to a specific K-member in your post, but I can let you know up front that the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets will not permit you to use the F-body oil pan with the stock K-member without notching it.

Kaleb_ls2 01-08-2019 01:08 PM

I plan on using the stock k member still, I'd like to use an f body pan unless I could find another pan around $200 because I plan on just buying new, would you guys recommend a different pan or mounts? I wanted to go with the hooker mounts because they are the only ones I've heard of that make up for the difference in height on the passenger side mount to keep the engine level.

Toddoky 01-08-2019 02:21 PM

You can use the F-body pan with the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets by notching the back of the factory K-member. I've seen others notching the F-body pan, but I wouldn't go that route personally as it decreases the oil capacity of the pan. Using the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets will make the installation of your 4L80E a straight-forward exercise if you also use the Hooker Blackheart 3rd-gen LS swap transmission crossmember. If you use a different brand of engine mounting brackets to permit the F-body pan to clear the stock K-member without notching it, the Hooker Blackheart transmission crossmember will no longer be of use to you.

Kaleb_ls2 01-08-2019 06:29 PM

I probably will have to start researching then, I want to find a pan or mounts that will work and I'd prefer not to notch the crossmember if I don't have to, I'll do some searching to see what I can find. Is there anything else anyone can suggest like a good quick spooling turbo for a 6.0? This would be my first turbo build and honestly my first full engine rebuild so I know it will be a bit of a challenge but I'm not afraid to fab things up so I think I could do it.

MY_2K_Z 01-08-2019 06:34 PM

On3 7875 and be done. It will be a light switch but out of breath at 6k rpms.

Kaleb_ls2 01-08-2019 07:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into it, for $400 they seem like a decent deal too but I'll do some more research, I research a lot lol. I'm just between a turbo or n/a because I figure for the $300 I spend on headers I can put that and a little more towards a turbo. I don't need anything crazy a cheap ebay turbo would do it thats just what I was thinking, I don't need the fastest or highest hp car I'm on a budget and want a fun streetable car with some balls compared to the 305 that's in the car.

Kaleb_ls2 01-09-2019 09:37 PM

I've done some more research and planning I will be using the hooker mounts and notching the k member, but if I also notch it for the 4th gen a/c compressor will that interfere with the mount? Also what should I do for a torque arm mount? I'd love to get the hooker crossmember but probably won't have the extra cash to do it, so I'm curious of what anyone else has done. And for now I plan on building n/a but hopefully as funds increase I can put a 7875 or a tc76 on, so for now I'd like to build the motor ready for the turbo with the smaller cam and everything. My only issue is the exhaust, I'd prefer not to drop $300 on headers if I'm redoing it all soon anyway, could I modify some stock car or truck manifolds to work? Sorry for so many questions just need to get it planned out