Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyrdoboost Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyrdoboost Questions

Is anyone else out there running the BMW H31 hydroboost system (or a different system)?In my setup, I am using a manual rack, so I need to decide what to do the outlet from the regulator that would normally lead to the PS rack.I currently have it capped off, but the PS pump seems to be noisier that it seems like it should be.Is it possible that the outlet for the PS rack should be routed back to the reservoir?Sorry if these are dumb questions.Been searching for a while and I can’t find much information on running hydroboost without a power steering rack.The only reason I am running it in the first place is there is not enough room for the stock booster due to clearance needed for the valve cover on the driver’s side.

Link to my build thread (
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls1-swap.html)

Last edited by 87944turbo; 01-09-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

By capping the outlet, you are blowing the relief valve! Run it to the reservoir SOON!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure if I'm following you (hydroboost is all new to me). But this is an image of the stock routing.

The only difference between my setup and this one is the absence of the PS rack, and the outlet to the PS rack being capped at what I have come to understand is called the regulator (the portion that is sitting on top of the accumulator). In the image, the dark red denotes high pressure and the light red low pressure. You can see the light red line that is plumbed directly from the regulator to the reservoir. I assumed that this line is the overflow or relief?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not sure how the flow divider/priority valve works. If the pump is making more noise than before, something is not right. Right now you have the pressure line that would normally go to the steering box capped off?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Right now you have the pressure line that would normally go to the steering box capped off?
Correct, that is the way the guy who sold me the system told me he had it setup when he ran it with a manual rack. He eventually went back to a powered rack.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Call a GOOD independent BMW mechanic and ask him what is right. A dealer might give you the cold shoulder... lol
Old 01-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

That sounds like good advice! I talked to a supposed hydroboost expert and he told me that what I was talking about, capping or not capping the PS outlet was "too abstract", WTF. Appreciate the help.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm running hydroboost on my 61 Impala with manual steering and have no issues outside a self-inflected reservoir capacity problem.
My low pressure return from the hydroboost and my high pressure through the unit (power steering feed) go to a T fitting and back to the reservoir.

IMPORTANT - if you use my method the pressure side of the T needs to be the straight through and the return side needs to be the leg. A better option would be to purchase a Y in the appropriate size and plumb that in. That will be done on mine when I fab a new reservoir but the T came with the hoses I used.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

I'm running hydroboost on my 61 Impala with manual steering and have no issues outside a self-inflected reservoir capacity problem.
My low pressure return from the hydroboost and my high pressure through the unit (power steering feed) go to a T fitting and back to the reservoir.

IMPORTANT - if you use my method the pressure side of the T needs to be the straight through and the return side needs to be the leg. A better option would be to purchase a Y in the appropriate size and plumb that in. That will be done on mine when I fab a new reservoir but the T came with the hoses I used.
Thanks for the info! I think I know what you mean about self inflicted reservoir capacity problem. I fall into that category as well in that if my accumulator unloads, the reservoir that I have cannot handle the additional fluid.

Also, get what you are saying about the Y. I picked up one of these just to experiment with. I was planning on putting it as close the reservoir as possible. I have heard that if you T the return lines, your PS return can cause back pressure all the way through and into the booster, which may hinder/prevent it's ability to operate. Based on that, your suggestion about putting the pressure side of the T on the through portion and the return on the leg makes a lot of sense.

I have also been checking out a remote reservoir solution, like this one from PSC(https://www.pscmotorsports.com/motor...kes-21204.html). Although not cheap, they are a pretty nice solution, even come with a serviceable filter in the tank which I like.
The only issue for me with this tank is the size, it's 3.5" in diameter and 8.25" long. I just don't have a lot of room for something like that. And ideally, I would want the base of that unit higher than the inlet for my pump. If I could swap the placement of my alternator and my PS pump, this PSC reservoir would probably work perfect for me.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I use the Ford Hydroboost system in my 944 LS2 with manual steering so this may or may not apply. I took the ford hydroboost diagram and routed the hoses exactly as shown but replaced the steering rack in the diagram with a cooler. I was told the line to the rack only sees pressure because of the resistance provided by the steering rack. Haven’t had any issues at all, nicely assisted braking after a summer of street driving and many laps on track.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Chrenan, thanks for that diagram. Good to hear that having it T'd is working good for you. Do you have your T located near the reservoir? I was thinking that having the two lines come together as close as possible to the reservoir will provide the best scenario (short of having separate inlets) to try and prevent back pressure from one line into the other.

The more I see the mustang setup, the more I like it. Seems to have fewer lines. I would really hate to have to ditch the BMW setup at this point, but nice to know there is something else out there that is proven to work.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve got the T right below the reservoir. Probably a hose of a couple of inches from the bottom of the reservoir to the T connection.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My setup is using salvage yard GM Astro van parts but one ton Silverado parts are similar. The Ford setup Chrenan posted is basically the same design as the Astro Van parts I'm using.
For a reservoir I'm using a home made deal I whipped up from random bits. In the near future I'll be making a new reservoir from aluminum with a higher fluid capacity and adding a cooler while it's all apart. I own four cars with power steering coolers and I still ask myself each time I work on it why I didn't install one on the 61 Impala.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

I’ve got the T right below the reservoir. Probably a hose of a couple of inches from the bottom of the reservoir to the T connection.
That's exactly what I am going to try to do.

My setup is using salvage yard GM Astro van parts but one ton Silverado parts are similar. The Ford setup Chrenan posted is basically the same design as the Astro Van parts I'm using.
For a reservoir I'm using a home made deal I whipped up from random bits. In the near future I'll be making a new reservoir from aluminum with a higher fluid capacity and adding a cooler while it's all apart. I own four cars with power steering coolers and I still ask myself each time I work on it why I didn't install one on the 61 Impala.
Loving your Impala thread, wish I had a fraction of your fabrication skills!