Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1- overflow radiator to use with steam line ??how to

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls1- overflow radiator to use with steam line ??how to

Have a radiator in rear of 33 roadster and not sure how to hook up overflow if being used by streamline or do I need overflow ??
Question 2. The loop line that connects 3/4 size plug and 5/8 plug behind thermostat. Was told it could starve one head if not connected. ?? That true.

Tee fitting to use overflow tank and steam line not sure help ??

So I need a overflow tank if so and use steam line what to do use a T tee fitting ??

Was told to make a loop here to connect water flow ???
Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Default Overflow tank /steam line help ? 97-98 Vette Ls1

Currently running steamline to the radiator cap vent line etc
would I need a T fitting to use both??? Thanks
Old 01-15-2019, 01:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You CANNOT run the steam line to the overflow on the radiator. It needs to go into the tank itself or you can drill and tap the water pump and connect it to that since running it all the way back to the trunk would be a long way.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 01-15-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Teching In

the Line has already been Run through frame rails to back as it was connected there..was told to hook streamline there .. to radiator overflow ,, but now i need a overflow Tank hate to change much now ,,, that was done at a shop ,, i didn't do that so i figured he knew what he was doing,,, i do not want to drill and tap the custom made radiator either .
Old 01-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Default steamline

thanks for the reply ,,hmmm Line is already ran through frame rails to the back,, been running the car a little bit on street ,, the fitting at the Cap is not tapered so it leaks , so was going to get one that is ,, and or a also add a overflow tank ,,Do i really need a overflow tanks ??HMM

also that loop line ,, anybody ever connect one of those ,, pro tuner i know said to hook up because could starve one of the heads for coolant he said.??? Bottom picture shows it plugged up for now the 3/4 ands 5/8 plugs etc. ??
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You don't necessarily need an overflow tank, cars got by for years without them, you just cant fill the radiator all the way to the top without one. If you do, it will just puke out what it cant hold and will be fine from there on out, providing you have an adequate cooling system.

As for the steam line, if you don't want to tap a hole in the radiator, then just tap the water pump, or T into the upper radiator hose, but judging by the pics, your upper hose is kind of low.

The debate about capping the heater outlets is an ongoing one. Some people say its fine, others say it isn't. I've done them both ways and never noticed any difference between them. My '33 has a Vintage Air that has a shut off valve that effectively shuts the water flow completely off when the A/C is on, which is when you would think you would need the most cooling, and it's got over 100k miles on it, most put on in the summer, with never a cooling problem.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The steam vent has to go back into the system itself. It can not go into the pressure relief of the radiator and it can not go into an overflow tank unless it's a pressurized overflow looped into the cooling system. As stated the easiest solution would be to drill and tap your water pump or add a T to your upper radiator hose. I tapped my water pump behind the top boss so it's not very visible.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having an overflow tank is a good idea if it is used as a recovery tank. When the coolant expands it overflows into the tank and then when the engine cools it is drawn back into the radiator. Helps eliminate air in the system. The guys building the Factory Five GTM have found that when using a heating/air conditioning system that shuts off the flow from the heater ports can result in overheating issues after the car has been driven for some time. It can vary considerably with some having the problem early on and some not for quite a few miles. Some never have a problem. The issue is solved my using a valve that allows coolant to flow through these ports at all times. I am not sure if all GM factory vehicles have flow here at all times but makes sense to me to set it up that way. I think it allows coolant to circulate through the engine when the thermostat is not open.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Most modern (past 10 years or so) vehicles use a pressurized reservoir, keeping it all on the pressurized part of the system. Overflow tanks are not required then. Good on older systems though.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your cap is leaking because pressurized coolant is venting out the steam lines into the unpressurized cap vent. Easiest solution will be to cap off the steam vents at the motor. Just get some caps for the rear vents and put them on the front. Some people get all upset at the idea bu it doesn't change the fact other people run that way all the time. If you cap the vents you just need to make sure to bleed all the air each time you fill the cooling system. More fool proof solution will be to T it into the water pump or a radiator hose like suggested

I would run some sort of overflow recovery tank in the car just to keep coolant from leaking everywhere. Never a bad thing to have.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Default Steam

ok thanks guys Didn't figure what i want to do yet ,, possible tap the water pump not sure another issue is

now my thermostat Fan trigger Passenger side HEAD in Rear is a Freeze plug i think can i use that for a Extra thermostat switch to turn my fan on

Iam running Infinity Box Canbuss system i can use there input wire from master cell to turn fan on without a relay ..but i also need on reading on my digital Racepak Dash display iq3
my Ecu is a Street and performance older 2002 Ls1 camaro ,,combined with a 98 Vette Ls1 ,etc ,,UGHH Frustrating to get all this working one fan is on a switch and other i want on thermostat switch not the Factory Censor So iam trying to Add an a thermostat the SPAl one from Summit eventually . etc