Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap - 4WD Indicator Switch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS Swap - 4WD Indicator Switch Wiring

I am doing an (2003) LS (5.3 LM7 Vortec) swap into a Jeep Wrangler TJ. I bought a stand-alone NP241C manual transfer case because the transfer case that came with the 2003 LM7 was an electric push-button. (I need the manual transfer case for the Jeep.) I believe it is a 1996 year, but I don't know what vehicle it came out of.

My questions are about the 4WD indicator switch/sensor that is near the range selector. It is a three-pin sensor (see image). I bought a pigtail/connector for it so I can integrate it into the engine wiring harness. However, I don't know where the wires should go. Do all or some need to go to the GM ECM or to the indicator light in the dash? I don't have a pin-out diagram for that sensor. I do for the 2003 Vortec, but it doesn't have the same sensor.

Pin 16 on the GM ECM Green plug is for 4WD Low Signal. Pins 22 and 23 on the Green plug are for AT ISS High Signal (4WD w/MT1) and AT ISS Low Signal (4WD w/MT1), respectively. Pin 62 on the Green plug is for Transmission Range Switch Signal C (A/T). Should any of the wires from the sensor/connector terminate to any of these pins?

Which wire would terminate to the dash 4WD indicator light?

Can anyone guide me as to where each of the three wires should go?

Thanks

4WD Shift Indicator Switch

4WD Shift Indicator Switch Connector
Old 01-31-2019, 08:06 PM
Teching In

I am pulling the indicator from the dash and wiring an led in for it. I am building a 98 tj Ls swap and I'm right in the middle of it,

Pull the wiring diagrams. I can't remember if it's a hot switched or ground switched. I am going with an autometer cluster and led indicators.

From all that I have read the gm and jeep components do not talk to each other. Basically motor is stand alone and jeep is stand alone.

Message me your number if you need more details. I will try and get a build thread up.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98teejay
I am pulling the indicator from the dash and wiring an led in for it. I am building a 98 tj Ls swap and I'm right in the middle of it,
Pull the wiring diagrams. I can't remember if it's a hot switched or ground switched. I am going with an autometer cluster and led indicators.
From all that I have read the gm and jeep components do not talk to each other. Basically motor is stand alone and jeep is stand alone.
Message me your number if you need more details. I will try and get a build thread up.
Are you using an NP241C transfer case? Is your 4WD indication switch in the transfer case a three-pin or two-pin?
I ran across a YouTube video (below) of a guy saying the three-pin switch in his NP241C wouldn't work for his application. (He didn't say into what vehicle the LS was going.) He swapped it out for a two-pin switch, but didn't indicate how he wired it up.

If I change mine to a two-pin, my guess is that I can just run one wire to ground and the other to the indicator light on the dash. Thoughts?

That is very interesting. My build is going into a 97 TJ. And, I am going with Autometer gauges. Have you wired them up yet?
Yeah, I'd love to bounce ideas/thoughts off of you. There is no one in my area (that I've found) doing anything like my build. And, I live in a very large city.
I have a complete build thread over at WranglerForum. Check it out. You'll be able to tell that I was completely clueless when I started the build, but slowly built up experience and knowledge.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Np231. Stock on the 98 tj. Just installed sye.

I am tapping into the cluster wiring.

i will check the schematics this weekend.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I have found some more information, but none that helps me with connecting two of the wires.

The three-pin 4WD switch, I believe, is ACDelco p/n 15693423.

From research, it appears the wiring is as follows:

Pin A: BRN – Fused ignition

Pin B: GRY/BLK – Ground (Low Signal) to PCM

Pin C: LT BLU – Transfer Case Relay (also spliced to front axle actuator)

I can run pin B to Green pin 16 in the PCM – 4WD Low Signal.

But, I have neither a front axle actuator nor a 4WD relay. So, the other two wires can’t connect there. Any suggestions where they would connect?

I did purchase two different two-pin connectors that look very, very similar to the three-pin – ACDelco 14069600 and ACDelco D2209D. The problem is that the thread pitch on both are slightly different than the three-pin so they don’t fit. I’d prefer a two-pin. I think it will be easier to wire, but I can’t find one that fits. Any ideas?

Thanks