Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman ls project begins

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Like the progress.

Where will the exhaust rout? It will be above the sub-frame, right?
What about triangulating to the outboard side of the mounts? You could put in one more member bisecting the large (almost) triangle at the front of the sub-frame.
You'd have more leverage outboard side. If you really need to keep it tight, build a 4 or 5" wide 1/8" plate gusset on the column motor mounts to increase moment of inertia. Then triangulate a brace to the column base tube so it doesn't twist.

Doug
Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was looking at the photos again. A pair of gussets per side would work. The first one, a triangle, place in in the forward corner of the rear (almost triangle) adjacent to the motor mount strut (parallel to the ground) and a second gusseted between the motor mount strut and the first gusset. It would be in a vertical plane and also a triangle.

In general....
Do any of the subframe members carry enough force to be trussed for strength?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DW SD
I was looking at the photos again. A pair of gussets per side would work. The first one, a triangle, place in in the forward corner of the rear (almost triangle) adjacent to the motor mount strut (parallel to the ground) and a second gusseted between the motor mount strut and the first gusset. It would be in a vertical plane and also a triangle.

In general....
Do any of the subframe members carry enough force to be trussed for strength?
DW SD,
I'm just being lazzy to be honest . I will come up with something once I populate the area with what ever else needs to be
installed going forward. Here are more pictures (red hose just to simulate an exhaust )

I'm really looking at accessory drive systems, using maybe a passenger side Alternator and A/C Compressor mounted low down. I would like to find a crank pulley that's a one belt unit like the LS4 ????

Old 06-17-2019, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Here is a link to a video
Old 07-03-2019, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

So I did a little more work on the engine support, I'm going to mount the alternator and a/c compressor one on each side of the engine low at crank pulley level. That will keep
the cab intrusion to a minimum.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

I got a a/c and mount system that seems to work well. The alt is going on the driver side at this point and using the outside larger wider belt. I could make up something using a spring loaded tensioner but I think the static one here might work fine. Placing the Alt lower will really help keep driver seating unchanged.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Will you still need a bulge in the bulkhead for the water pump /pulley?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Will you still need a bulge in the bulkhead for the water pump /pulley?
Yes for sure, I didn't push the engine and transmission back much (1 1/2") . The W/P is in the center so its inconsequential IMO

I received the GM engine controller package, wiring harness, ecm, fuse/relay block and gas pedal. Really a plug and play unit but placement is key to serviceability. Its not installed yet LOL
Old 07-04-2019, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

That thing's gonna be a BEAST!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Question

Ok so I'm trying to minimize my belt exposure ( not a real belt in picture a stand in strap) using one belt and some idlers / bearings to help direct the traction angles ??
what is your opinion's on this type of setup ? Will it work ?
I'm thinking of using the Davies Craig electric water pump system, pump, and controller. Any thoughts on that system would be helpful as well.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 996 C2 / LS6 with the Davies Craig pump and inline mechanical thermostat that works well .This is a street car and do not know how it would do on the track .
Old 07-08-2019, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I've never seen a pulley have a belt contact it in two different locations. It may work, but I've never seen that before.

Why not go with two separate belts, as you had done with your first mock-up a few days ago?
Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by driveability
I'm thinking of using the Davies Craig electric water pump system, pump, and controller. Any thoughts on that system would be helpful as well.
I've used the Davies Craig EWP150 without a controller and it worked great. Just set it up on a relay and have ECM trigger it same as you would do a fan (except I didn't turn pump off at lower temps like a fan does).
Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I've never seen a pulley have a belt contact it in two different locations. It may work, but I've never seen that before.

Why not go with two separate belts, as you had done with your first mock-up a few days ago?
I think you have a good point, I'm going to test some different belt setups.

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
I've used the Davies Craig EWP150 without a controller and it worked great. Just set it up on a relay and have ECM trigger it same as you would do a fan (except I didn't turn pump off at lower temps like a fan does).
Thanks for your input, I'm not going to track this car just a fun retirement rig.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

so by now you guys can likely tell I go down every rabbit hole possible just to waist time LOL
Hopefully I now have the accessory drive ironed out !!

I did come by an interesting VW setup where the A/C compressor had two pulleys that transfers to drive all the other sub-systems. Interesting setup maybe for another build LOL
Old 07-15-2019, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

So I'm looking at how to connect the radiator hoses and am having trouble identifying the upper / lower hoses ?? Trust me the layout is NOTHING like any car I have ever seen. Trying to get any detail of flow over the net has not helped much at all.

Anyone know which coolant pipe under the car right or left driver or passenger side is the "upper" and "lower" designation ?
Old 07-17-2019, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

I decided on the Davies Craig water pump, pump controller and water manifold. I think the pump will move enough coolant but I like the fact I can control the pump and fans. I may add a second pump and use it when engine temps warrant.
Things are all coming together well hope to have the Cayman running in the next 30 days
Cheers all

Below is a picture of my bud who runs a body shop in Everson WA, here he is painting a single engine Plane. Gary's auto body shop, he does fantastic work !!!!! Gary is going to help with the engine cover / firewall construction. He will be painting the car as well down the road.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

didn't know davies craig made manifolds -sure simplifies install and should be good flowing .
Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I look forward to seeing the water pump layout in the car. I hadn't heard of Davies Craig until you posted about it, so this is all new to me.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I'm looking into placing the electric water pump next to the passenger side vent/scoop. Surely a rough layout but moving forward. I have 20 T-Bolt hose clamps coming to insure a great seal.

This 1 1/2" hose is indestructible, bends well and is very smooth inside to help coolant move less restricted. I am going to use 2 electric water pumps so there's plenty of flow and some redundancy.

Quick Reply: Cayman ls project begins