LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   1st gen CTS LS swap? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1914846-1st-gen-cts-ls-swap.html)

kott0n 02-07-2019 04:24 PM

1st gen CTS LS swap?

I can't find any recent forum posts, last one was from 2009.

With the 2nd gen V's holding their value above 30k and the 1st gen V's in the mid teens, the v6 variant 1st gen can be had for under $2000.00.

I know the suspension, cradle, rear end, brakes are different but so is all of those things when you swap a LS into xyz random car.

Any build threads on these? Seems more straight forward than a lot of swaps as the car came with the motor originally.

I like the idea of 4 door more than a coupe. I like the interior/exterior of the CTS.

RecklessV 02-07-2019 04:45 PM

1st gen V also have different front/rear bumpers and side skirts. The differentials are the same between the V and regular cts, they're complete shit.. Ford 8.8 is the way to go company called creative steel makes a bolt in application for it.

I had an 05 V and loved it until I blew 2 diffs and 1 axle. The driveshaft also sucked because the carrier bearing, so dont bother getting a used V driveshaft.

by the time your set and done, you could have just bought an original V. I've seen about 4-5 here locally in south florida for 7-10k.

kott0n 02-07-2019 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by RecklessV (Post 20043964)
1st gen V also have different front/rear bumpers and side skirts. The differentials are the same between the V and regular cts, they're complete shit.. Ford 8.8 is the way to go company called creative steel makes a bolt in application for it.

I had an 05 V and loved it until I blew 2 diffs and 1 axle. The driveshaft also sucked because the carrier bearing, so dont bother getting a used V driveshaft.

by the time your set and done, you could have just bought an original V. I've seen about 4-5 here locally in south florida for 7-10k.

That makes sense and I agree with you, I would love a V. I'm mostly wanting a project to get my hands dirty with vs. something turnkey. My dad is going to be 75 and this will likely be our last project together and my family is growing so I want to show them the love of cars.

My ultimate goal is 500+ whp/tq. I would love to run a supercharger. I see used V takeoffs for good deals. I actually thought of starting with an F body, I used to have a nice 2000 TA 6speed ls1, but wanted something different also.

Does the CTS pose more of an issue for a chassis then say an Edge Mustang, or even maybe closer a 4th gen V6 F body?

I know these questions get asked a lot and usually the answer is if you are asking its too hard for you, which I get! I'm just trying to gauge the difficulty level. Really, I've looked at a lot of swap candidates, as I'm sure we all have, and I keep coming back to these for the entry level cost vs. the luxury/nice lines.

gofastwclass 02-07-2019 09:18 PM

As a guy who builds everything himself my only concern with a project is will the body / chassis I chose do what I want from a goal perspective. If it will, play ball. I don't know what your mechanical and fabrication skills are but I doubt there is going to be anything bolt in for it without parting a V8 car.
I really see no reason to LSx V8 swap a V6 CTS since a CTS-V exists with the same V8 architecture but it's your time and money. I also see no reason to LSx V8 swap a 4th or 5th gen Camaro for the same reason.
Mustang... I'd rather re-arrange my tool boxes.

I have an LSA supercharger on a project car and the worst part about one now is buying the lid. They used to give away the superchargers and lids until someone figured out they actually had power potential outside of stock. Now the lids alone are over $600 US which like a used T-56 starts making those setups financially unattractive. By the time you buy a supercharger, lid, fuel rails, injectors, accessory drive and miscellaneous necessary random stuff you have a mixed bag of used parts and aren't too far from a proven Edelbrock kit in a box.

Now if the primary purpose is to spend time with your pop and kids... hell, what are you wasting time asking us for? Get out there and spend time with them doing anything. He won't be here forever and soon enough the kids will be concerned with other stuff.

bigassogre 02-11-2019 07:12 PM

honestly, most people including myself are gonna probably say to just buy a real v1. i see em all the time in the $4500-$8000 range. but if your dead set on building ur own, im pretty sure that a v2 rear cradle, diffs, and axles are all a direct bolt in as an assy. i would atart with that to eliminate the weak v1 diff. then id use 5th gen camaro parts to 5lug swap the front.

kott0n 02-12-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by bigassogre (Post 20046150)
honestly, most people including myself are gonna probably say to just buy a real v1. i see em all the time in the $4500-$8000 range. but if your dead set on building ur own, im pretty sure that a v2 rear cradle, diffs, and axles are all a direct bolt in as an assy. i would atart with that to eliminate the weak v1 diff. then id use 5th gen camaro parts to 5lug swap the front.

No, that makes sense.

I've decided I want a sleeper anyways. Looking at picking up a 5.3l in the GMT360 platform (Trailblazer, Envoy, Ascender etc) and boosting it. I can always grab Trailblazer SS parts from a junkyard and all the SS aftermarket suspension will work.

I found a clean one with leather, 5.3l and 110k miles for $2300.00. Slam it with some nice lowering springs/shocks, put some nice big tires out back and boost it. Would be a nice sleeper, especially in Isuzu or Buick trims.

bigassogre 02-12-2019 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by kott0n (Post 20046592)
No, that makes sense.

I've decided I want a sleeper anyways. Looking at picking up a 5.3l in the GMT360 platform (Trailblazer, Envoy, Ascender etc) and boosting it. I can always grab Trailblazer SS parts from a junkyard and all the SS aftermarket suspension will work.

I found a clean one with leather, 5.3l and 110k miles for $2300.00. Slam it with some nice lowering springs/shocks, put some nice big tires out back and boost it. Would be a nice sleeper, especially in Isuzu or Buick trims.

i always wanted to build a turbod v8 saab 9-7x. people in my neck of the woods dont even know what they are.

Jrgunn5150 02-13-2019 08:58 AM

I don't see a single reason why you can't grab some plates, weld your mounts, put a stand alone harness on a 5.3, and go do burnouts. It's the same as swapping any other car.

Everyone always get's all hung up on it looking factory and whether or not it'll sync their Spotify playlist and blow heated air up their ass like factory... When some people just want cheap thrills.

G Atsma 02-13-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 (Post 20047032)
I don't see a single reason why you can't grab some plates, weld your mounts, put a stand alone harness on a 5.3, and go do burnouts. It's the same as swapping any other car.

Everyone always get's all hung up on it looking factory and whether or not it'll sync their Spotify playlist and blow heated air up their ass like factory... When some people just want cheap thrills.

Most people don't want their install to look like a Neanderthal did it. Plus it's kinda nice when everything works right.

kott0n 02-14-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 (Post 20047032)

You get the mission. I have nice cars with all the bells already. I want something to beat on and it cant be worse than say swapping it into a Fairmont or a 90's Caprice as far as style.