Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 in late model 4th gen Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS3 in late model 4th gen Fbody

Hey guys, I’m seriously considering acquiring an 00-02 camaro ss 6 speed roller as a host for an engine/trans swap. As of now, I’m thinking an LS3 would be the best option, perhaps from a newer camaro. As for use, I plan to ocasionally take this car to the drag strip but mainly use it as a weekend fun vehicle. I’m thinking a factory LS3 would be a great motor with much room to grow. Maybe I could do a few bolt ons to get closer to the 500 hp mark but that isn’t a necessity, at this time.

From my searches here, it sounds like an LS3 would be a painless swap for a late model 4th gen fbody. Most of the information/threads I found when searching were from around 2010 and were related to swapping an LS3 motor into LT1 cars rather than LS1 based cars.

As for sourcing the motor, are there other donor vehicles that I should consider, in addition to the newer camaro? I’ve read that there are some different variants of the LS3. Perhaps there is a cheaper option that would be similar to what I’m looking for?

Regarding the transmission, I’m considering the T56, T56 Magnum, and TR6060. I understand RPM transmissions has a direct bolt in T56 magnum option (seems fairly expensive) or I could source a trans from a donor car. As far as sourcing a used T56 or TR6060, I’m not sure how difficult it will be to retrofit it to my application but that is something I’m concerned about.

So, what do you guys think? Is there any information regarding this swap that you may be able to provide? Am I looking at a difficult process? Any tips for keeping costs down? Is there anything I should be on the look out for or avoid?
If I can iron out a plan for this project, I’ll be going next week to source the camaro roller.

As always, I really appreciate the information you guys provide and any information you can give me about this project would be greatly appreciated. I’m not sure what I would do without you guys when it comes to LS based info. Thanks guys!

Last edited by areax; 02-08-2019 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Grammar/spelling
Old 02-08-2019, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Now that I have created a new thread, I somehow find a fairly recent thread with a very similar situation presented. I accidentally looked over it in my saved tabs.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...camaro-ss.html

I also found the sticky in Gen IV internal engine.

Ill review the information ive found but would still like to hear what you guys think about the issues I’ve raised and any comments you may have.

Thanks

Last edited by areax; 02-08-2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-09-2019, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to drill the block like in that other thread. I had my LS3 525hp crate engine in my 01 and tuned. That dude does not know what he's talking about.

You'll need the crank conversion sensor from Lingenfelter and there's a couple of extensions for the harness to reach where you need it to. There's even a knock sensor adapter harness to keep the sensors on the side of the engine. I just swapped my LS1 accessories over to my LS3 and to keep belt alignments and went to a cable driven throttle body. I think I even just swapped out the oil pressure on the back of the block to the LS1 style IIRC. Then I got HP Tuners, asked questions on the forum there about specifics to my engine and drivetrain setup and went from there.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

OH, and if you're going to keep the LS3 injectors you can get adapters that plug into them and connect to the harness.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kyphur
You don't have to drill the block like in that other thread. I had my LS3 525hp crate engine in my 01 and tuned. That dude does not know what he's talking about.

You'll need the crank conversion sensor from Lingenfelter and there's a couple of extensions for the harness to reach where you need it to. There's even a knock sensor adapter harness to keep the sensors on the side of the engine. I just swapped my LS1 accessories over to my LS3 and to keep belt alignments and went to a cable driven throttle body. I think I even just swapped out the oil pressure on the back of the block to the LS1 style IIRC. Then I got HP Tuners, asked questions on the forum there about specifics to my engine and drivetrain setup and went from there.
Yes you do have to drill and tap the sides of the block for the gen3 knock sensors. The p01 can't use the gen 4 style.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

You have "resonant" (LS1) and "flat" (LS2/LS3). Go under Engine>Knock Sensor> General and change it to whichever you want to use. EFI Live has the capability to change it also but IIRC you have to do a wiring or pinout change.

Last edited by kyphur; 02-10-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

I really appreciate your help guys. I値l look into the knock sensor issue and see what I come up with.
ill also start collecting the harness extensions/Lingenfelter conversion box/injector adapter plugs.

Great tip tip on the HP tuners. I will definitely look into purchasing EFI live or HP.

Since I値l be dropping this engine in and will probably not take it out for a while, I壇 like to make sure I cover all my bases when installing it, such as polyurethane motor mounts, etc. would you guys recommend an aftermarket K member for its strength, adjustability, and weight savings? If I知 ever going to swap the k member, this would be the prime time. I知 also going to go with long tubes and some other nice touches, as well.

As as far as motor, I知 fairly certain I知 going to go with an LS3 from a 10-15 Camaro so I値l try to find one with all the front accessories and such. Hopefully they will fit.

What do do you guys think, regarding the trans?
I would like to go with a TR6060 from a 10-15 Camaro pullout but I知 not sure how involved of a process it would be to convert to my car. I知 sure the bellhousing would need swapped. Perhaps the driveshaft connection would need to be modified? Would the shifter set too far back up top?

I appreciate the help guys. I知 going to try to go Tuesday to pick up the car that I値l be doing the swap in. I知 going to try to find the best example of a complete, non salvaged car that I can.
Theres a lot in Searcy, AK that has a bunch of cars I知 going to look at.