Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for help LQ4 in a dodge charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help LQ4 in a dodge charger

I am undertaking a giant project with my son. I found a dirt cheap base model 2007 dodge charger with a blown 2.7. I have a LQ4 currently residing in my 99 silverado and am going to be replacing it with a 454. So me and my son thought we would try our hand at a "sloppy" style turbo build in the charger with the used LQ4. My question is can anyone out there give me some tips and information about what all I need to accomplish this. I know some will see this as heresy but my boy loves the charger style and the going rate for hemi engines is astronomical. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Get yourself a good welder and learn how to use it. Everything is going to be a custom fit so lots of welding.

After it's in expect to rewire the entire car since the gauges and such won't be compatible with the ecm and sensors that you need to run the engine. You'll essentially have 2 computers spliced together to make everything run. Or run aftermarket gauges and fuel pump and stuff like that, and figure out how to handle any of the typical bcm functions separately.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure

I’m gonna just say that you are just really over thinking this great project for you and your son just as almost any ls swap you will be better off running your ls complete stand alone harness meaning it’s either you make a custom cluster to fit in ur dash or u buy a small pillar set up and don’t even get into the wireing into the dodge gauges and your gonna wanna use the gm pedal and bolt it up then you can just hook up your fuse block originally in the charger just no ignition system going through it because ur using a ls stand alone harness I even just bolt my original starter wire onto the gm starter and and run a separate on off under dash or throw a toggle but it’s a really nice build your gonna do it with no problems as long as you can wire motor on its own and you settle for not trying to wire into the factory dodge harness
Old 06-28-2019, 06:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The Hemi installations in all the Chrysler/Dodge LX cars utilize front sump oil pans, so you will need to convert your LQ to a front sump pan also (stock GTO pan may be an option for you).
Old 06-28-2019, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 504 Likes on 328 Posts

Great project for you and your son. Only problem I can imagine is that after you drive your son's charger with the turbo'd LQ4, you may want the engine back.