Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley 4L80e trans x-member - Shiftworks tailhousing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Holley 4L80e trans x-member - Shiftworks tailhousing

Nothing too big of an issue but figured I'd post so others would know.

First the Holley trans x-member. Everything was fine, but was missing (2) of the 7/16" shouldered bolts for the side brackets. the 1" long that went up and threaded into the crossmember itself. I was also missing 2 of the shouldered 3/8" bolts that go through the top bracket at the subframe. I was also missing (2) of the 7/16" locknuts then as well. I have a hardware store close by, so was easy fix. Just figured a company charging this much for stuff could spend 5 seconds with someone counting out stuff.

Second, pay close attention to the hardware that is included versus the instructions. Instructions are garbage. Mine calls for (2) 7/16" x 1" long bolts to be included. But within the first 8 lines of the instruction, I'm already using 4 of them(2 at the trans mount and 2 at the crossmember-to-subframe brackets).

The most important reason for this post, is that this transmission is going into my '68 camaro. I bought the shiftworks conversion plate for the shifter and I also bought the rear tailhousing that has the mechanical speedo.

The transmount bracket needs to be ground down in the center because of the tailhousing casting reinforcement. The holes on the Holley bracket were significantly misaligned and the actual tabs that get bolted on using the 2 existing lower bolts of the tailhousing were either welded on incorrectly or misaligned when welding it on.

Lastly, because of where the mechanical speedo portion is, it is ALMOST impossible to get the lower driver's side bolt back into the tailhousing. I had to grind down a box wrench to almost nothing to get it to fit in the space and luckily could get it tightened up. I dont plan on ever removing that bracket, HAHA.

In the end, 90% of this isn't Holley's fault. It wasn't meant for that tailhousing and who is to say if the casting of the tailhousing is off compared the bracket. The most important thing to get across is that to get that last lower bolt on, its going to be a pain in the rear for you guys that opt for this mechanical speed option. Don't have pictures uploaded right now but did take some.

Last edited by Slow Z28; 03-11-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I cant speak to the tail housing but my cross member was missing hardware as well which was frustrating having to stop in the middle of the install. I would say do a fastener check before getting started for anyone going this route.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Poor quality control on Holly's part or the packaging engineer that has this system set up for quick processing and shipment,
Old 03-15-2019, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for posting your experiences with this particular Hooker crossmember guys, I’m going to order one in from inventory to check the hardware contents against the BOM. Whatever discrepancies are found will be forwarded to the supplier for corrections to be made...we don’t package these at Holley. As far as compatibility with the aftermarket tail housing is concerned, it was designed for use with the stock GM tailhousing only.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Thanks for posting your experiences with this particular Hooker crossmember guys, I’m going to order one in from inventory to check the hardware contents against the BOM. Whatever discrepancies are found will be forwarded to the supplier for corrections to be made...we don’t package these at Holley. As far as compatibility with the aftermarket tail housing is concerned, it was designed for use with the stock GM tailhousing only.
3rd party supplier,
Old 03-15-2019, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve68
3rd party supplier,
Yes, that is correct.