Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 996 LS1 Swap - Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Porsche 996 LS1 Swap - Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior

Yes, another 996 LS1 Swap I've been itching to have another quick sports car since I sold my BMW 135i. I've seen the Porsche 996s but never liked the looks as much as a 993 or 930. As a joke to myself, I started looking at Craigslist for a 996 that needed work or had the engine removed. Oddly enough, I find a black 996 Tiptronic with a knocking M96 engine. Since these are the first year of water cooling, the M96 engine is under powered and prone to failure on a few fronts. This one is likely suffering from the IMS bearing failure as it's leaking oil and this seems to be the case with IMS failure. Either way, it's coming out! I looked into the Tiptronic to LS1 swap and did some research on the transmission itself. In 2002, the 996 underwent a revamp of the electronics as Porsche switched the entire car to CANBUS and also swapped Tiptrinic transmissions from the weak ZF5 (99-01 996 cars) to the 722.6 or NAG1 in the later cars. These are MUCH stronger than the ZF5 and can be converted. We went through all of this research in my other exploratory thread here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...tiptronic.html

So, a Tiptronic to manual swap is also in my future, much like 1dirtyZ. His car is a turbo model, however, and all wheel drive. Mine is neither of those, which makes things a bit easier. I am swapping all Tiptronic parts with standard Porsche 6 speed manual parts with the exception of the hydraulic lines since these require the interior to come out and are very complex. I will be making custom adapters to run AN braided line from the P-car clutch master to the clutch slave with it's own reservoir. I have already sourced the CV axle shafts, shifter mechanism, shift boot and ****, shift cables, 6 speed limited slip transaxle, clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, and clutch pedal. I will need to find out how to "trick" the P-car computer into thinking the car is always in neutral or park. Since my car is a 1999, it is pre-CANBUS and the computer system is very simple. I can install the P-car sensors into the LS1 and those sensors will work as intended, no changes needed. I will need to modify the output of the LS computer or find some other way to adapt the LS tach signal and speed signal to the 996 cluster. Fan controls are neutral trigger so that is just a matter of wiring them together. The oil pressure sensor screws right into the LS oil pan. The LS cylinder head can be drilled and tapped to M14x1.5 for the coolant temp sensor.

For electronics, I've ordered the new Holley Terminator X setup. I was originally going to use a PSI harness and 0411 ECM like my Jeep TJ swap but I ran across the new Term X system last week and knew I wanted to try it. Self learning fuel management, changing tunes on the fly, and a LCD display for the sensors until I get the P-car units hooked up is exactly what I want. I really like the control and ease of use in this kit and it was only a little more than what I'd already be spending. Win-win for me.

Originally I wanted to use a LS3 or LS2 for this project but a fantastic deal popped up locally for a disassembled LS1. Since I wanted 400rwhp, my game plan of just a cam swap went out the window. I was also planning to use a e38 ecm to make an easy transition to 58x. The Porsche computer and tach runs on 58x so I wanted to match these for easy signaling. Well, after a few other 996 swap owners told me that HPTuners can change the output signal, I ditched the idea of 58x. I will be looking into this for the Holley Term X setup but I know there is a TACH ADAPT module that can convert signals as well. The new plan for the LS1 is a 243 head swap, a Tick performance SNS Stg 2 cam (came with it), a Fast 92 intake, and PTM 92mm Throttle body. I'll be adding LS3 injectors and a Holley fuel rail and Corvette regulator with the stock Porsche pump. If this pump isn't enough, I'll upgrade to a Bosch or similar external pump to help. I'm sticking with standard LS1 coils but swapping to a LS3 corvette water pump and pulley to clear the rear trunk latch on the 996.

As for adapting the LS1 to the G96 transaxle, I'm using the adapter kit from Eric at Kitcarchassis AKA A&E Machining. He's been in and out on this forum so maybe he'll see this. I went with the stage 2 SPEC clutch and this should hold around 525HP. I am using motor mounts from Stuttgart Muscle and should have an easy time making it fit with the help from the tech section on Stuttgart Muscle. For exhaust, if the budget is there, I plan to get help from a local exhaust fab shop to make a set of very clean and nice 180 degree headers. I've seen a set installed on a LS to P-car swap and they came out very nice. I'd do this myself but I'm not sure I want to spend all that time going through the learning curve of such a project. I'd rather get this on the road as soon as possible.

Onto the build pics! I'm hoping to have the engine complete and assembled within two weeks and then pull the old P-car motor right after that. Looking to have the LS in-place by this time next month.

Drove over to the other side of WA to grab this in the middle of winter....it was a sketchy ride to say the least. Two blown trailer tires and a 15 hour day.
Porsche 996 LS1 Swap - Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior-rturvjul.jpg

Tan interior that's actually growing on me
Porsche 996 LS1 Swap - Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior-t5qipxwl.jpg

Porsche 996 LS1 Swap - Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior-fnqjyygl.jpg

A little rough from the transport
Porsche 996 LS1 Swap - Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior-51vdmocl.jpg

It's still rough in some areas but cleaned up a bit!
Porsche 996 LS1 Swap - Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior-hdtbfnpl.jpg

Transaxle picked up and awaiting adapter kit and LS1
Attachment 715357

Porsche 996 LS1 Swap - Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior-jeyfbpcl.jpg
Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Almost sounds like you know what your doing ! This should be interesting I'm sure there will be some good info for me as I'm doing a LS3 2006 Cayman.
Keep the posts coming !!!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by driveability
Almost sounds like you know what your doing ! This should be interesting I'm sure there will be some good info for me as I'm doing a LS3 2006 Cayman.
Keep the posts coming !!!
I like the looks of the Cayman! I know AEM makes a full ECM replacement module that runs the LS3 and the Porsche computer all in one. There's another computer made by a company in Europe that can control the Porsche ECU for you and then you can use a standalone ECU for the LS. The AEM unit is around 4500 and the other unit is about 1000. Makes your conversion much easier due to the CANBUS system.

I did a lot of research so I have a good idea of what to do. Hopefully no surprises!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer
I like the looks of the Cayman! I know AEM makes a full ECM replacement module that runs the LS3 and the Porsche computer all in one. There's another computer made by a company in Europe that can control the Porsche ECU for you and then you can use a standalone ECU for the LS. The AEM unit is around 4500 and the other unit is about 1000. Makes your conversion much easier due to the CANBUS system.

I did a lot of research so I have a good idea of what to do. Hopefully no surprises!
I see the advantages for sure, it would make the transition easier. Installing an LS3 in any NON LS car has its limitations as to some of the value-added systems
modern cars have to offer. Correct me here but things like traction control, advanced stability control, maybe even the PASM are likely lost. Or are you
saying they could be incorporated ? I'm not so concerned about the engine gauges as a stand alone IP is a easy option.
keep it coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2019, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Well, having some trouble getting Eric at A&M on the phone. I placed my order last month on March 8th. We had good communication until last week when he stopped answering my calls. He used to answer until 8pm at night so I'm either concerned something happened to him or he is just blowing me off. Hopefully something small like a phone issue but I have emailed him as well.

This is now holding up the project.

EDIT: He called me shortly after this post after a week of waiting for a callback. Apparently he's been screening my calls after mistakenly labeling my number as a telemarketer. He also informed me the material he ordered was incorrectly shipped and now there's a 2 week delay. Soonest I'll get my order is sometime late next week. So 6 weeks turnaround for parts that should have taken 2. Same story, different shop. I really like to help small businesses but this kind of stuff shouldn't happen.

Last edited by gtxracer; 04-11-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after seeing a crate Coyote 5.0/tptronic in a '09 Cayman the other day in KCMO, the want is strong. very strong. keep us posted, brother.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flame-Thrower
after seeing a crate Coyote 5.0/tptronic in a '09 Cayman the other day in KCMO, the want is strong. very strong. keep us posted, brother.
Thank you Hopefully I'll have something for you all in a week!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Default Ls swap

and i gotta say, the noise of that 5.0 in that Cayman was amazing.
it almost made me think warm thoughts about Ford vehicles.
but then i remembered the spark plugs in my F250. so nah.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flame-Thrower
and i gotta say, the noise of that 5.0 in that Cayman was amazing.
it almost made me think warm thoughts about Ford vehicles.
but then i remembered the spark plugs in my F250. so nah.
Hahah! You got the 6.2 gas? I have a 2013 Raptor with the 6.2 and am dreading the 100k spark plug service...I'm at 83k!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Teching In

had one of the plugs stop working at 60k. what a nightmare. flatbed, a 2 day wait, and $450 later, i had a running truck.

i had to lawyer up to get my $450 back as this was a warranty issue. Lawyer cost me $250.

i still drive to that dealer's lot and spit on the new cars whenever i get a chance.

still trying to find out from Ford Powertrain as to whose idea that design was.

if i ever find out, i'm gonna do the world a service. you can thank me later.

Flame-Thrower