Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squatch build "98 sonoma 2wd ext cab" 4.8 budget build for 800rwh

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squatch build "98 sonoma 2wd ext cab" 4.8 budget build for 800rwh

I just wanted to start out by saying thanks for having me here, here is the foundation i have to start with:

98 2wd sonoma
4.8L 135K from a 03 chevy express complete wire harness for entire van including cluster etc, non flex fuel
2wd 4l80 jasper trans with aprox 30k on it from the van
ford 8.8 diff with 3.73
dirty dingo engine mounts

going to be stripping the truck in the next week or so to install the engine/trans and fab a trans cross member and mock up harness etc to start with a running truck before doing hp mods...
questions are as follows and sorry to be another question asking noob but here goes

1 should i go with a single or twin turbo setup? was thinking around 60-70mm this will be a weekend worrier at the strip but a frequent driver to "putt around town" was going to purchase a walbro 525 fuel pump
2 should i pull the bottom end apart to gap the rings/ install rod studs is it worth it?
3 should i go with stock heads and cam or upgrade. any recommended springs to install with studs and a 6.0L head gasket anything else within budget to do while they are off? was planning on using the stock truck intake

thanks for any and all input and ideas in advance
Old 05-03-2019, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

4.8 to 800 wheel horse you should at minimum gap the rings. You should get better flowing heads by porting some nice stocker or upgrating. Personally I prefer single's as it cuts costs and power wise you can get to 800 no problem. You may also want to look for some gen 4 rods or upgrade.

People make that power on stock gen3 stuff but reliability will become an issue.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what mm turbo would you recommend if i went with a single turbo setup?