Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lm7/60e (or something of that nature) in a 1989 Mercedes 300SEL

Old 05-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lm7/60e (or something of that nature) in a 1989 Mercedes 300SEL

I've creeped around on these forums for a while but don't believe I've actually ever posted.

With that being said, I bought this very long '89 300SEL Mercedes a while back for very very cheap. Car is in good shape but doesn't run right. Won't rev over 3k rpms, even worse when under load. A pic never hurts

https://www.flickr.com/gp/137222699@N06/X47rv4

So, it's a ~180hp inline 6 in this huge car, with a very early form of Bosch electronic fuel injection I believe.

I could dump hundreds if not thousands into getting this engine running right. Actually, I already have about $300 into it replacing plugs, wires, fuel filters, pump, tank screens, sensors, wiring, etc etc. Nothing has helped it.

I love Mercedes, currently have 6 of them, with all but one having extensive lists of current issues. Like one of my friends said, "it's no different than a yard full of F-bodies"

But, my first three vehicles were GM trucks, so I do love the engines for the same reason everyone else does. Easy to find, inexpensive, small, and extensively supported by aftermarket companies

Space should not be an issue. These cars in the highest trim level came with a SOHC 5.6 V8 with a pretty hefty automatic trans.

I'm completely in the dark on engine swaps. Which is why I want to do this. As a learning experience

There is no rush on getting it finished or anything.

I'm planning on just running a stock truck engine with FBO/trans for now

Why?

I don't want to get in over my head at the moment. I consider myself mildly mechanically inclined. I've done full suspension rebuilds, chased fueling issues on old Mercedes diesels, some mild wiring, etc etc. I know these older Mercedes pretty well.

But I've never done an engine swap as mentioned before.

I really just want to get the car moving with a stock drivetrain in it, then build from there vs going all out right off the bat. Any 5.3/6.0 will be miles better than the stock drivetrains

I guess my main question is, what do you guys recommend using to control the engine/trans?

Other than that, it should in theory be custom engine mounts, custom trans mount, custom driveshaft, exhaust, low mount accessories, different intake, and some form of fuel cell/pump setup?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Talk me out of it. Talk me into it. I'd love to hear a GM V8 in a old big body Mercedes

Old 05-16-2019, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

There's a big thread in this forum about the new Holley Terminator X and Max, which can control the engine or engine and transmission. Might be worth a read.

What does the factory fuel system look like on your 300SEL? Does it have an in-tank electric fuel pump to feed the fuel injection? If so, then it may be that all you'll need is a higher capacity pump in the stock location along with the popular Vette regulator/filter to feed the engine.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
There's a big thread in this forum about the new Holley Terminator X and Max, which can control the engine or engine and transmission. Might be worth a read.

What does the factory fuel system look like on your 300SEL? Does it have an in-tank electric fuel pump to feed the fuel injection? If so, then it may be that all you'll need is a higher capacity pump in the stock location along with the popular Vette regulator/filter to feed the engine.
Sweet I'll look into that. Thanks for the quick response.

The stock setup has an external pump, filter, and accumulator all housed in one bracket, located behind the rear right axle, plumbed into the bottom right of the tank.

Search this Thread