Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound / vibration deadening opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Sound / vibration deadening opinions

I'm starting to put the Camaro back together... I'm been doing some research trying to decide on what sound/vibration deadening to use. I would appreciate anyone's experience whether it be good or bad. I want something that works and lasts. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Here's what I've done.
First Dynamat "like" through out the floor pan and fire wall. It's the super sticky 3/16" under layment. Then the double foil sided material with the jute in between the foil layers. Glue it down to the Dynamat "like" under layment. Then glue the carpet to that. I use 3M spray can glue.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

So you said dyna mat "like". So it sounds like you used another manufacturer? What did you use?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at Resonix, Soundskins, or Sonic Barrier (from Parts Express). The last 2 combine a thin butyl layer similar to Dynamat, but also adds a layer of closed cell foam on top of that. On top of that, I'd do a layer of 1/lb per square ft Mass Loaded Vinyl. Probably the best place to get it is Amazon, there are people selling it on there with free Prime shipping (and 100ish sq ft, is heavy, so it's a great deal.) Avoid brands like Murder Mat, FatMat, etc.

Another great resource is the website for the (now defunct) "Sounddeadenershowdown.com" It will be up will Feb of 2020, but the owner retired.
Has a lot of good info on what to use for what purpose and how to implement it. Resonix has some posts in Strictly Sound Quality on Facebook, and may also on their website. You can also find some interesting info on DIYmobileaudio.com and there's even a sound deadener comparison thread, if you google it.

Jay
Old 05-17-2019, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

I will definitely check that out... some brands I never heard of.
I was actually leaning towards one you said stay away from. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes67
So you said dyna mat "like". So it sounds like you used another manufacturer? What did you use?
I think he means he "likes" it vs. "dislikes" I was wondering at first too.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

OR he meant to use a Dynamat-like product. AKA, a copy.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure... there's a lot of different products out there. I want something good, but don't want to waste money either.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sound Deadener Comparison

Resonix is a new company that has stepped in to fill the void left when Don at Sounddeadenershowdown.com retired.
I know the owner, but I am not affiliated with him. He spent quite a lot of time getting samples, and making changes until
he got a quality product at a very reasonable price. All deadener is not the same, even tho they look similar.

Resonix Sound Solutions

Sound Deadener Showdown How-to's

As of this posting, the SDS website was temporarily down for maintenance, but the owner had previously stated he was going to leave it up
until Feb. 2020.

Most people not in the car audio biz (or NVH/engineering) don't understand all the different products and their uses for reducing different kinds of noise.
Don had taken the time to break it down into easy to digest sections explaining each product, it's use, application, etc.

Nick at Resonix is filling the void left by SDS's closure, and is a very accessible person, on many types of social media.

Jay
Old 05-19-2019, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

I used and will use more of some stuff at Lowes called "Peel and Seal" at about 18 bucks a roll. It has stuck like glue to my floors and firewall in my El Camino. It is also sticking very nicely to the underside of my EC's roof and I will also apply some Peel & Seal onto the doors under my door panels.

People warned me that this material might have a hot day "road tar" asphalt smell but that has not happened. I hit a hunk of it with some heat out of a thousand watt heat gun to see if it made any smell. Nope. None at all.

All of these products need a very clean surface for best adhesion. The bare metal of my floors initially got several heavy coats of some sound deadener liquid stuff called "Lizard Skin". Then a clear coat of paint on top of that and then the Peel & Seal. With the jute carpet and pile carpet under the seats, only my doors make any noise. Sadly, my Legendary door panels to solve this noise problem are on back order until nearly September after already being on order with the Original Parts Group folks for a month.

Rick
Old 05-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

How long have you had the peal and seal installed?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let's see - I got the EC back from paint in early December last year. I started on wiring and the Peel & Seal soon after that - so, maybe six months. I suggest buying a roll or I will send you a hunk of it. It's tough to go wrong at 18 dollars a roll. Seriously, LMK and I will send you a piece.

Rick
Old 05-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I have a lowes a few miles away from me. I just want to do this once and have it last
Old 05-19-2019, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

This stuff is a roof leak repair product and will be in that section of the store. Yea, I had to go to Customer Service and ask . . .

https://www.lowes.com/pd/peel-seal-i...BoCUusQAvD_BwE

Rick
Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why do car guys spend 10's of thousands of dollars on their hot rods, but cheap out on audio and interior? LEt me use a roofing product to sound deaden my car. Sure. Why? Because it's cheap. smdh.

Jay
Old 05-19-2019, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the same position as the OP, looking for a good vibration damper - sound deadener - heat insulator

Two thing I have noticed. First everyone seems to compare these products to dynamat and second the only complaint I commonly see about dynamat is the price. Sort of tells me dynamat is the gold standard.

I have a garage full of harbor freight tools. I'm not the type to get hung up on designer label anything, I look for values and what works.

But have to agree with JayinMI here. Roofing materials by design melt in hot weather to help them reseal. I spend enough time chipping the tar out of my Datsun floor pans to fix the rust that method left behind. If I did a dozen cars a year I might experiment more, but at this point the added expense to use the right product just isn't that much. In my case the cheapest solution is going to be the one I only have to do once.

I'm not sure what products I will use but do plan on looking at Jay's links.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Bought the materials from Summit. Made by Cool-it Thermo Inc.
Part # THE-14620 and THE-14125.
I put # THE-14620 on the under side of the roof and inside the door panels also.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

I totally agree with pop n wood. I want to do this once... just because something is expensive or inexpensive doesn't make it good or bad. I want something that works well, decent to work with and lasts.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinMI
Why do car guys spend 10's of thousands of dollars on their hot rods, but cheap out on audio and interior? LEt me use a roofing product to sound deaden my car. Sure. Why? Because it's cheap. smdh.

Jay
Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it doesn't work. I used frost king duct insulation and it worked very very well. Did my entire car with 3 rolls and you can carry a conversation with the passenger with a normal talking voice and my down pipe is dumped right under the passenger seat. So for me it seems dumb when people spend thousand of dollars on "car specific" products that work the same or marginally better.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

If people used the correct products in their intended environment, you'd notice a bigger difference. But since most people just slap some "Dynamat" (which has become a generic term, like "Kicker" means sub box) on and think that's all there is to it, they think it's fine. But whatever. Usually on car forums everyone says "I want to do it once, and do it right" then proceed to go on about how they can do it cheaper with an inferior product.

Dynamat isn't (as much) the "gold standard" as much as it was one of the first, and most well known brand of sound deadener.

Jay