Notices
Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Right Parts for a rear end rebuild

Old 06-11-2019, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default The Right Parts for a rear end rebuild

Car: 1978 Caprice, stock 8.5 open diff w/ 2:41 rear end. (swapped 2004 Avalance 5.3/4l60e)

I'm going to replace my rear 2:41 rear diff with a posi/limited slip unit. After talking with some folds I've decided to go with a Yukon brand. Firstly, I want to make sure I order all the right parts, but second, I must not have the right search terms because I would have sworn I'd seen the ring gear and pinion sold with the posi unit and all of shims, etc necessary to install as a kit. Now I can't find it anywhere and they're all separate.

Have I left anything out? I'm going to have this installed by a mechanic. Is there a better way than buying all these separate? Also, these are significantly cheaper through Amazon than Summit, and so much cheaper it's made me a bit suspicious that I'm missing something.

Here's the part numbers:

Posi Unit - YDGGM8.5-3-28-1
Ring Gear and Pinion - YG GM8.5-342
Overhaul Kit - YK GM8.5-HD

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 06-12-2019, 01:48 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Install / rebuild parts, carrier, and gears are sold separately unless a vendor markets it otherwise.

Amazon has some knockoff stuff floating around. When you receive your new parts, contact Yukon to verify legitimacy.

Here is your old thread in case you have other questions:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...d-options.html
Old 06-16-2019, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't seem to decide between a clutch-style posi or a torsen rear diff. I keep going back and forth. I can't seem to find agreement on how long I could expect an clutch-style posi to last before the clutches wear out. Also, I do almost no drag strips, but it is my primary, daily driver and I just want something that will allow fun in the rain (sideways) and increased traction in the snow.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Torsen is widely used, is quiet, and no clutches to wear. That would be my choice. It is VERY tough.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious if anyone can explain why these parts are almost $400 cheaper on amazon compared to almost anywhere else, including Summit. I've heard of "knock off" parts, but these appear to be legitimate. I've had very, very good customer service with Summit but $400 is a very big difference. The descriptions detail them as the same manufacture's part number. I don't want to get caught up in a rip off. Does this seem legit?

The links are below:

Summit:_________________ Amazon
Posi -------------------- $552.00
Posi Posi
------------------- $335.00
Ring & Pinion -------- $315.59
Ring & Pinion Ring & Pinion
------- $201.28
Overhaul Kit --------- $227.66
Overhaul Kit Overhaul Kit
--------- $161.36
________________$1,095.25 _______________$697.64

____________Difference: $397.61
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I bought the parts to upgrade the open 12 bolt 2.41 in my car I used the Yukon Duragrip. I bought mine on a vendor on eBay called Ron's Machining Service and it came with Richmond gears, Timken Bearings and the Yukon Duragrip all in one kit. It was something like $625 a few years ago. You may want to check that out on eBay and maybe he could put you together a kit. Doesn't your car have the standard 8.5 corporate diff?
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vetteman61 View Post
I'm curious if anyone can explain why these parts are almost $400 cheaper on amazon compared to almost anywhere else, including Summit. I've heard of "knock off" parts, but these appear to be legitimate. I've had very, very good customer service with Summit but $400 is a very big difference. The descriptions detail them as the same manufacture's part number. I don't want to get caught up in a rip off. Does this seem legit?

The links are below:

Summit:_________________ Amazon
Posi -------------------- $552.00 Posi ------------------- $335.00
Ring & Pinion -------- $315.59 Ring & Pinion ------- $201.28
Overhaul Kit --------- $227.66 Overhaul Kit --------- $161.36
________________$1,095.25 _______________$697.64

____________Difference: $397.61
It appears like the Amazon products are coming directly from the manufacturer? I can see a reduction in price if this is the case since the middle man is eliminated. Another thing to note is the Amazon overhaul kit says Timken or equivalent bearings and the Summit specifies Timken.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used Yukon gears in my C3 LS swap a few years ago, 3:73 ratio and they were quite noisy both on steady driving and coast. Ended up changing them to Motive and they were nice and quiet. As I understand Summit will price match in some cases. Worth checking into. I've had very good luck with Summit standing behind parts quality. Don't know about Amazon suppliers.
In my 73 Z28 I used a Detroit True Track. Worked very well. On my C10 I have a Auburn posi and again it works well. If you thinking higher HP consider the posi with 30 spline axles. Means new axles. About $325 from Moser?

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: