Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air/BP Automotive binary or trinary switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Default Vintage Air/BP Automotive binary or trinary switch

I'm installing my Vintage Air on my 63 Chevy II wagon LS swap. I've got a 2006 GTO Ls2 with a e40 ecm. I'm running entropy radiator/fans. So my BP automotive engine harness has wiring for the GM pressure sensor. I've already spoke with Bill at BP and I feel confident he knows his stuff regarding this and he recommends using a binary switch. My issue is that Vintage Air recommends a trinary switch and the gentleman I spoke with yesterday said he didn't even know what the GM pressure sensor was or how it worked. I want my ecm to control my fans and I want factory like functionality with no additional controllers etc. To my understanding I can use a trinary whether it's wired with two wires as a binary function or four wires as a trinary. Can anyone here speak in layman's terms and explain the pros and cons of either way? Thanks and pardon my ignorance.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm not too sure about pros and cons, but I wired my ecm to control my fans and used a trinary switch and a small isolation relay to allow the vintage air and ecm to both control the fans and I love the setup.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Only one reply, really? Lol, I figured this would be a relevant subject to LS swaps.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

It is relevant, but not a common issue, apparently. Give it more time.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1964SS
I'm not too sure about pros and cons, but I wired my ecm to control my fans and used a trinary switch and a small isolation relay to allow the vintage air and ecm to both control the fans and I love the setup.
I have a 68 camaro equipped with LS6 engine and 2004 Lumina/ GTO OEM ECM & binary switch.

I don’t like the way the fans are operating. One fan comes on within a few minutes of engine start up, and second fan kicks after the fist fan also within a very short time, may be 2 to 3 minutes.

So both fans start running too early way before reaching engine operating temperature and keep running.

I took the car to a tuner to check at what temperature settings the fans operate. He said he could not recognize that the fans are controlled by ECM, which sounded strange to me.

There are four relays for the fans and compressor instead of 3 relays. I am totally confused about how they are wired.

Also, they come on when AC is on even when engine is cold.

Both low speed and high speed wires ( blue and green) are wired with the relays.

I also need to replace the binary switch with trinary switch.

Could you please share the schematic of the dual fans wiring with the compressor and trinary switch.