Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen III 2004/LQ4 to 2006/4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gen III 2004/LQ4 to 2006/4L60E

Ok, guys... I hate to be that guy, but I need your help on this..

Im putting a rebuilt LQ4 from 2004 Gen III (short crank on the back), and mating it to a 2006 4L60E that was just rebuilt with upgraded inners and added a planetary gear to make it a 4L65E....
So, I mated both of these using a 2006 5.3 Gen lll engine flexplate.... the flexplate is dished, and has 3 holes for a 3 bolt TC...
Upon installation I noticed an almost 10mm gap between the flexplate and the TC.
So, my thought is using a spacer (12563532) between the crankshaft and the flexplate...
I used bolts (19257940), but this are still only one inch long???
I would think these will be longer to compensate for the flange and flextplate thickness....
I havent mated them yet, but my measurments tell my I will have a 2mm to 4mm gap between flexplate and TC....Ideal right......??

I have read some 20 threads on this and most of them have some sort of variation as I see that others are using older trannys or different combos.....

I figure I tried installing my starter to see where I would be with this much space between engineblock and flexplate...
well the flexplate touches the housing of the starter as it is too far from the block...... any ideas what migh be happening here?
Im using my old starter from a 2006 5.3 Gen lll engine...are the starters for a 6.0 engine any different ?

thanks for any help/ advice you might have to help me solve this......

Last edited by MANUCHAO; 06-21-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Well, after installing the spacer and mating the tranny up to the engine... there was contact between the flexplate and the TC.
Guess I dont need the spacer (already off ), but what to do with the gap (10mm) between the flexplate and the TC?
I read that you need to have a 4mm or 3/16" for the TC to be able to expand when hot....
I was already running a washer when I had the tranny mated to the 5.3, but did not have a 10mm gap either....
Going tomorrow to talk to the tranny shop to see if I can add another washer to the one Im already running between the flexplate and the TC...
Perhaps I need a different thickness TC if there is such a thing ?
We'll see tomorrow....

Pic of the flexplate and TC with spacer between engine and flexplate.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 PM
Teching In

used 6mm (1/4") spacers and longer 10.9 grade bolts... ended with 3mm gap...