Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What dont i need on a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What dont i need on a LS1

Hello i am new here my name is Daniel and i have an LS1 from a 2002 Camaro SS. Also has a 4L60e tranny,
Placing in a 1962 SS impala convertible

I have been researching but am still basically a newbie when it comes to LS swaps and everything that goes along with it.

I have a few questions if anyone could help me out a bit, it would be appreciated.

What hoses etc can i rip off that i wont need later?

Also i have seen some folks that flash the PCM and rework the wiring.
i want to put in a dakota digital dash as well.

i have a very long way to go.
Here is a few pics.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

First we need to know what emissions state/conditions you require.
There are some emissions 'junk' to remove immediately but not if you need it
Old 07-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Teching In

I am in Washington state. I am not sure about emmisions i will have to look into that. I dont think we have smog test etc. I used to live in AZ and i know they had it.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

The only emissions-only hardware you MIGHT have would be air injection and/or EGR, and only the earliest LS1's had either.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks like they end emissions testing on January 2020. Not sure about vehicles there, but usually pre 67 had no emissions anyway.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

In Calif. nothing older than 1975 MY is tested or inspected. Not sure about WA.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

WA is county based.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Checked into it and no inspections where i live.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Teching In

What are the pros and cons of emission removal from LS1? Does the exhaust stink if you remove the emission things you may not need in an older car on a LS swap?
Old 07-08-2019, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

The only emissions gear on any LS would be EGR and/or air injection. Does your engine have either one? If not, there is nothing to remove.
Do a little homework on how engines work and what came which years.
You would be able to tell if your engine has either one. It's all external.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Ok Thanks

I have done research but it is just alot to take in so i joined a LS forum hoping there was some folks that would be willing to help a newbie with a few dumb questions and hoped there was some folks that probably new a little bit about ls engines. I have used the search function and google.
I will keep researching to the point where i wont need to ask any questoins. Appreciate the help.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

If you don't have to pass any emissions tests, which I think would be unheard of on a '62 Impala, but I guess some states are dumb like that, then you can get rid of all that stuff. That is the big AIR tubes you have the arrow pointing to in your first pic. You can also remove the EVAP stuff. Keep the PCV stuff though. Then remove the rear O2 sensors and reprogram the PCM. not sure that answers your questions, but if you ask specific questions, you will get more specific answers.
The following users liked this post:
Daniel R (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Appreciate it @ls1nova71
Old 07-09-2019, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would have a evap system, no fun smelling gas fumes all the time
Daniel R (07-09-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

The exhaust smell depends on a few things, most likely whether or not you install catalytic converters, and what cam you are running, and how efficient it is at idle.

You might want to install a set of decent high flow cats, given that you have a convertible. My swap is a 1971 GMC Jimmy, which is also a full convertible. I have a 6.0 (LQ4) with a 223/231 cam, and no cats. I do get some exhaust smell at startup and idling at times. Enough that I feel that it clings to my shift, if I drive to work in cool, damp mornings. (I'm overly conscious of smells, admittedly). The rest of the time, it's quite good, but my fueling is dialed in pretty well at this point. Something to think about. A stock cam might be efficient enough to not have any issues at idle.

Also, since you are at this early phase, and the engine is out, think about your goals. Its very easy now to make mods like a cam swap, a torque converter, etc. A small cam, and a good torque converter add a lot of fun factor with more or less no downside, other than $$$
Daniel R (07-14-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

You might also think about if you want to be able to tune/tweak things yourself, or will be changing anything in the future. I switched my ECU over to a Terminator X Max to control my LQ4 and 4L65e, and love this system for older retrofits like this. My Valiant will be getting the same system.

Again, just a good time to think about things, before you put the car together and spend money.
Daniel R (07-14-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 AM
Banned

As above mentioned somewhere,

I would keep all PCV and Evap related
Research the evap system because different vehicles use a different technique.

I do not consider these emissions devices, although many do. For me the PCV is not emissions related because it:
1. improves idle/cruise cylinder ring sealing (which improves mileage and engine cleanliness)
2. scavenges combustion gas byproducts which keeps the engine oil cleaner (which improves engine cleanliness)
3. helps maintain oil seal quality/prevents oil leaks (keeps pressure off the oil seals of the engine which improves cleanliness)

So the PCV is more of a cleanliness/ health aspect with a bit of efficiency mixed in. Hardly what I would consider emissions device, as I am barely reducing any emissions by using it. Without pcv the combustion gasses simply diffuse into the engine oil the excess pressure forces its way through oil seals over time creating leaks, the rest blowing out of the engine forcefully instead of drawn out.

Next the EVAP system is implemented to control fuel smell, conserve fuel vapor (molecules of fuel in the air). To me this system is all about comfort and efficiency, keeping the fuel locked away where it can wait safely to be consumed by the engine later. It keeps the fuel tank happy by allowing pressure to escape or enter as needed and it keeps the fuel from going stale by sealing it up from the atmosphere.
Not a huge problem on gasoline but when you start getting alot of Ethanol content in the fuel, the tank needs to be very air tight. And that is difficult to do if you have removed the EVAP portions of fuel system, since now where will fuel vapors go? any external vent/exit which presents to atmosphere runs a risk of drawing water vapor.
hope you enjoyed
Daniel R (07-14-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Depending on what he is using for a fuel tank/pump assembly on that car, maintaining a complete EVAP system may not be practical.

There's little reason not to keep a PCV system, unless this is a show car and you're going for "hey, look, we've shaved everything".
Daniel R (07-14-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemming104
Depending on what he is using for a fuel tank/pump assembly on that car, maintaining a complete EVAP system may not be practical.

There's little reason not to keep a PCV system, unless this is a show car and you're going for "hey, look, we've shaved everything".
If I shave the pcv from traditional valve covers

it means I've put a hole and re-invented baffle somewhere else

I would never permanently disable pcv even in a delete, merely relocate
Daniel R (07-14-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Washington only has emissions in a couple of areas. Up around Kings county by Seattle and down by Vancouver. That's only until 2020, then the program is gone altogether. I still live in AZ and have been looking to move up there for a while now. So I've scoped out the emissions thing. 1962 would be emissions exempt automatically, as federal emissions didn't start until 66-67.

Air injection can be removed - make it much easier to find headers/manifolds that fit. If you have an ls6 (2002) shouldn't have an egr valve. Keep the pcv, as mentioned it's a good thing. Fuel-evap you'd want to read up on and see what it's gonna take put it together and mount it up in your car. Not required to make it run, but it's not something that'll leave you stranded down the road either. But may help some w/ smell - as your garage/shop wont smell like a gas station.

Cats would be the biggest help, and you can find high-flowing cats that will not hinder performance more than an hp or 2. It will help the exhaust smell cleaner once their up to temp.
Daniel R (07-14-2019)