Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on custom air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for advice on custom air intake

Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a Chevy express I put a modded 6.0 in, nothing crazy but I'm having a really tough time with IATs this summer. I'm looking to install a scoop on my hood, nothing too difficult there, but here's the twist; I'm looking to plumb my intake directly to the scoop. I've been racking my brain to come up with ideas for this, but so far I have nothing practical. Does anyone have any suggestions for making a custom air filter box that would mount to the hood? Or maybe an off the shelf product that might work? If you can picture a Chevy express hood, I'm looking to put it right in the front where the hood drops off to keep as much of a "stock" look as possible, maybe 2" tall and 15"-20" wide. Or am I just overthinking this and I can just put a duct on the hood and run an inline air filter and be done with it?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Posting pictures of your current set-up would be helpful. Usually the OEM air boxes do a decent job if isolating heat from the intake.

Andrew
Old 07-08-2019, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Alright I'll get a picture in a little bit. The stock intake does a great job until ambient temps are above 80°, then I see iats of around 140-150 after sitting at a stop light for a couple minutes. I made a cardboard heat shield that helped a good amount, but it's still getting pretty warm
Old 07-08-2019, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Is there any blank space on either side of the radiator to go thru the support with an air duct?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yes if u have room on either side of the radiater support I would move the cold air intake down toward the bumper and add a filter. Me and the Trailblazer ss guys use a cai similar to what im talkin about. Works a lot better and adds a big diff in power. PCM of NC has some kits u can look up to get an idea of what im talking about.

Would be a better option than hacking the hood up etc.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just throwing the most different setup (mine) I've seen done up here in case it gives you some sort of idea to come up with something simpler. The air intake is completely hand made, throttle bodies operate with ls1 throttle body, & sucks through opening in custom hood. Cone air filter is inside box.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

That's a pretty sweet setup jlcustomz, it does get me thinking that there might be a better way. In terms of space next to the radiator, there's not much. I might be able to hack something off and make some room if I decide to go that way. How much of an issue is water if I run it that low?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

As for hacking up the hood, I'm not too worried about that, hoods for these are plentiful and pretty cheap at scrap yards
Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dropped entire radiator support about 1 1/2" which still does what it needs to do with the LS. The custom hilborn style aluminum case has a huge notch on the bottom side underneath the high side of it to make up the rest of the difference. Then of course the cowl induction hood is extended forwards into a scoop, which adds the remainder of the room.
Not for everybody I know, but it's both in your face intimidating & functional.
Yea, chevy express van hoods should be plentiful. Our company just junked an 01' model with a freshly painted hood.
In your case you may be able to use a premade hilborn style case & make the opening in the hood about midway, which may put it high enough to clear everything. Possibly could mount case to hood & make it seal to air cleaner assembly when hood shuts.
Just another thought in my head after a 12 hour day with no actual van to go look at.
Edit; if you meant rain by water, I have gaps for water to drain out here & there & intake charge does hit somewhat on the notch at the bottom, which helps water brake apart from air. Drove in numerous thunderstorms.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a link to a van at the Detroit Hot Wheels Legends tour. The SS383,Pause at 4:27. Looks like a speedway intake possibly.Not centered though, don't like that. Could remove hinge latches & make double latches on ends or hold downs.