Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Can I swap a 5.3 into a 4.3 truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Can I swap a 5.3 into a 4.3 truck?

Hi,
What problems would I encounter in swapping a 5.3, 6.0 or LS1 into a 2003 Silverado with a 4.3? I want to know if wiring is the same? Will the computer work and just reprogram? Any help appreciated!!!
I have a 305 TPI in my '90 Silverado with complete wiring/computer change and I am not interested in that much work again!
Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 03-06-2005, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should just be able to edit the computer that you have now to work with the bigger motors. Externally they are the same dimensions, and same sensors so everything should cross right over. I would think accessory positions could be different if anything. Should be a straight forward swap.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not going from a 4.3. It's not going to be straight forward.
The harnesses will be entirely different, I don't know if a V8 harness will just plug in to the truck or not. Usually there are other differences in the truck's wiring when the engines differ. The computers are the same though, and beyond that, you can pretty much use factory parts to do the install since those trucks came with the V8's in them.
I would think that if you got a complete engine, with intake plumbing, accessories and everything including the wiring. It would make it much better. Then you can probably take care of any issues in the wiring from the truck side of the harness.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

My bad I was thinking he said he had the 4.8L.

Quick Reply: Help! Can I swap a 5.3 into a 4.3 truck?