Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Vortec swap in 98 S10... with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 5.3 Vortec swap in 98 S10... with a twist

Ok, I've read up on the LS1 swap into an s-series but have kind of a unique situation here. The truck that the motor is going into had an engine fire. Thus, all underhood wiring/ecm was destroyed. I'm stripping everything out and starting over.

Now, here's my question. I gotta get all new wiring for under the hood anyway so would there be any disadvantages to just using the complete harness from the fullsize truck that I'm snagging the motor from?

Would anyone advise against this? I'm doing away with the ABS, complete climate control system and airbag wiring. Only thing I think would be tough is tieing in the headlight & taillight harness into the fullsizes harness.

Also, does anyone know if the truck manifolds would fit on an s-series?

Thanks,
Herb
Old 04-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck manifold will fit but you will have to relocate the EVAP canister solenoid from the manifold top.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the truck exhaust manifolds on my 93 4wd they spread out too wide in the back and wouldn't fit between the shock towers. you don't have the shock towers to worry about,but i don't think your frame is any wider! I have a set of sanderson ls1 wwd headers,but they are 1.5" primaries and 2.5 collectors,they seem kinda small,they would fit your 2wd truck. THANKS

Last edited by sparkwirez06; 04-19-2005 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.3 Vortec swap in 98 S10... with a twist