Old 05-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kapeesh
Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 66 chevy truck man
Just so you know Shifty the only reason I posted what I did is so that someone who is trying to do a conversion on a budget dosent say oh crap I cant afford to spend a $1,000 bucks on a fuel system and so they get scared and never do the project.
I didn't take anything you said as an insult, and hope you haven't either.

I get where you're coming from - but - I still tend to think your average joe needs to be aware of what an average price is on things if you want it to be "easier" and something that is built to last and easy to maintain.

Are you doing a build thread for your truck? Just curious, would love to check out your setup!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The in cab gas tanks blow up!?!? That will scare the bejesus out of you!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Teching In

I agree with you shifty like I said I just try to represent the guys out there who might be on a limited budget. As far as the build thread goes I dont know. My truck is pretty much finished at this point but I do have great picture documentation from the build so I could. If I do it will be dedicated to showing how to build a nice, safe, dependable truck on a budget. As for being insulted, no way that is what is so great about these threads is that people can look and make up there own mind what is the best and most practical way to build there truck. Thanks for the thread. I will let you know about doing my own thread. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, if you want to see some serious budget work that ... well ... works, check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/707811-5-3l-th400-into-67-chevy-pickup.html

basically the same truck. very simple, low budget install, probably less than $1500 total invested outside of drivetrain, i'd guess

Last edited by shifty`; 05-09-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

nice tree... id hope id get the same results for 1500$
Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh snap! I didn't understand what you were saying, now I get ya

I updated the link.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Dont hate on me because my truck looks better, took half as long, and cost half as much as yours.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Teching In

I can take a joke can you??? Even when I dont get it.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Who was joking? I was being serious! Take it as a compliment
Old 05-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Hay shify, hows the clutch come'n? (I'm kind of let'n you be the guiny pig)sorry.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha, I've been busy painting parts for the truck (cowl, rear fender, refurb'ing a used inner fender). I am almost to a point where I am ready to install the clutch MC.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Default Good job very helpful.

Thanks awesome thread .....
Originally Posted by shifty`
Ok, here is my fuel setup, finally took a couple of pics tonight and posting before crashing out.

Supplies and part numbers:

(1) Fuel Pressure gauge, Summit P/N: SUM-800199
(1) Aeroquip adapter P/N: 2242-2-4s (to adapt fuel pressure gauge to fuel rail)
(1) Stock Corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter unit, GM P/N 10299146
(1) 20' spool of -6AN braided steel hose, Summit P/N: SUM-230620 ($74)
(1) Russel Fuel rail adapter 10mm->3/8", Summit P/N: RUS-640850 ($14)
(1) Custom aluminum tank build by board member FuelCellGuy ($625 with pump and sender?)
(-) Tank uses a 'Tanks Inc.' pump setup, Tanks Inc. P/N: PA-2 (note: part no. 'PA-4' will also work).
(-) Tank was coated with Line-X at a local spray shop ($60)
(2) Earl's -6 AN to 1/4 in. NPT 90º swivel adapter, Summit P/N: EAR-829006ERL ($25/ea)
(4) -6 AN hose ends (hose to -6 AN female), Summit P/N: SUM-220690 ($5/ea)
(1) S&P Corvette Fuel Filter adapter 3-piece adapter kit (compression to -6 AN fittings) $100 at www.hotrodlane.cc -> OTHER OPTIONS HERE***

*** NOTE: I was not happy with S&P's fittings and would go with an aftermarket Fuel pressure regulator and separate inline filter next time

Basic diagram of setup from pump to filter:

(Fuel pump) supply -> Earl's swivel -> -6 AN hose end -> -6 AN hose -> -6 AN hose end -> FPR/filter tank supply (S&P fitting)
(Fuel pump) return -> Earl's swivel -> -6 AN hose end -> -6 AN hose -> -6 AN hose end -> FPR/filter tank return (S&P fitting)

Basic setup from FPR/filter to rail:

Filter/FPR -> Filter port to rail (S&P fitting) -> -6 AN hose end -> -6 AN hose -> -6 AN hose end -> Russell fuel rail adapter

That is it in a nutshell.

As you can see in the pictures, I mounted the Vette Filter/FPR to the rear wall of the bed by drilling a hole there and bolting it down. NOTE: the Vette FPR is a joke, and the fitment sucks (stock bracket blows). If I were going to use it again, I would fab up my own bracket, but honestly, it's in your best interest to buy a better aftermarket FPR and use an inline fuel filter between that and the rail.

The S&P fittings are compression and honestly don't fit worth a crap. If you ever need to replace the Filter/FPR, unless you can find a suitable compression ring, you'll be buying new S&P fittings (expensive). Not an ideal situation.

So, long story short, I have two Earl's 90º fittings at the pump taps, Summit fittings attached to those, then a hose up to (and returning from) the Filter/FPR, then the single line out to the rail. All of this was done with exactly 20' of hose, and I will have ~3ft excess after proper routing.

This is ghetto, but because of the lack of sturdiness of the stock GM filter bracket, I had to wire-tie both ends of the filter stems to the rear wall of the bed as you can see. This is to keep movement to a minimum (it works well). The fuel pump power lead and sender lead were both ran along the brake line (down pass side framerail) and into the cab through the hole in the floor where the original stock fuel line went theourh the bottom of the cab.

All fittings were sealed with teflon tape except one (guess what? that fitting is the only one that leaked when testing the pump!! gotta undo it and teflon tape it)

For the fuel rail, I also removed the stock schrader valve from the front of the driver's side fuel rail and installed a fuel pressure gauge there (MORE INFO HERE). Pics of the setup are in the thread I just linked It looks nice.

To test the fuel lines for leaks, I added 5 gallons of fuel to the tank, then properly wired in a relay for the fuel pump - wire diagrams are available here at the forum. DO NOT run your electric fuel pump without at least a couple of gallons of gas in the tank, you'll burn it up (sorry, some people really have no clue about this one, so I gotta say it)

Turn the key to ACC, the fuel pump will run for ~2 seconds to pressurize your lines. Check all fittings for leaks. Check the pressure gauge to make sure you have roughly 50PSI to the rail (pressure will slowly drop off over a few minutes time).

EDIT: Making fuel lines is easy. I was scared to do it because of stories from guys aout shredding their fingers, etc. Here is a simple breakdown of how to do it:

- Get some of the fiberglass packing tape from the store - you know, the transparent tape with white fabric threads running through it. You'll find it at ace hardware.

- Measure your braided line. Mark the hose at the point that the fitting should end.

- Take a the tape, center the tape over the mark you made so that you have equal amounts of tape on either side of the mark - wrap the tape around the hose for one single loop and barely overlapping the ends by 1/4" - pull it tightly together before sticking it.

- Take a dremel or similar cutting wheel (supposedly a sharp chisel will work) and cut the hose in the middle of the tape where your mark would be. The end product will be two taped ends of braided hose. The tape will keep the steel braids from flaring out all over the damn place and cutting you up.

- Take one end of hose, take your hose-end fitting and separate it into two pieces. Remove the tape and quickly push and twist, push and twist, push and twist the hexagonal shaped female end onto the hose end until the hose bottoms out into it. This will take some force - be a man

- With a marker, mark the braided hose where it meets the edge of the fitting. Watch this mark closely as you follow the next step to make sure the fitting doesn't "slip".

- Take the other half of the fitting (tube end) and screw the fitting back together again. This will compress the fitting onto the hose. Result: You are 1/6 of the way through with your hoses if you are using the same setup as me.

Hoses are a piece of cake. I didn't shred my hands once. Be patient, work slowly, never remove the tape until you are prepared to affix the fitting, make sure if the hose end flares, to stuff all the flared pieces into the fitting before you twist it on - and always mark the hose/fitting and look for slippage.

Pics attached of the general setup.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Man are you gonna get dun r what? Any updates, picts, etc...?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry! I am out of town constantly lately. Firewall blockoff plates are in place and the LS1 harness has been routed inside, I'm starting the rewiring process with my new fuseblock kit
Old 07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Teching In

still waitin...how's married life?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

Shifty, don't feel bad, I have not had any real time to get anything done on my fathers truck either. He is on my now to get the vintage air kit mocked up so we can start to move forward on getting the fire wall and in side of the cab painted.

I too have had a lot of things get in the way of my projects. I can only find little bits of time here and there to work on my mustang. Married life and chasing a new career as a fire man have taken top priority.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the truck is a bare frame right now. no axles, just two notched framerails and a couple of crossmembers. i need to get it in for powdercoating and rebuild - I have full airbags, new StrongArm tubular arms for the front, lots of other goodies.

time, time, time.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about some updates?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

yea shifty, its getting pretty bad when all your truck friends have to hunt you down on another site, just for some recent pics

Quick Reply: My LS1/T56 swap into '68 Chevy C-10 stepside