Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap and easy fuel setup for 4th gen F-body & C4

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cheap and easy fuel setup for 4th gen F-body & C4

I think I have figured out a cheap way to use the existing 4th gen f-body (and probably C4 vette) fuel system as much as possible when converting to an LSx engine.

The 97-98 vette fuel rail setup is expensive, especially if you already have a fuel rail with the single input (that came with your LSx engine, for example.) I wanted something that would require the least fabrication possible (hopefully none) so that I could get the car running. I think I have something now.
It only works because I already have an aftermarket in-tank fuel pump installed that will do the volume/pressure required.

I bought a 12" long braided hose line from a C5 that has the spring-type locking connectors on both ends. It appears to be a factory line for connecting to the fuel rail on an LS1. I got it for $11 plus shipping (used).

Some may object to the placement, though I do not see why it matters (other than looks), but the factory underhood fuel line ends (pressure and return) can now be connected to the $50 corvette filter/regulator shown here (and available from Speartech):

So you can use the larger stock pressure line to go into the filter/reg, the smaller stock return line connects to the return outlet on the filter/reg, and the regulated output of the filter/reg goes to the junkyard braided C5 hose that I bought, and then into the fuel rail. No expensive fittings, no cutting, and I keep all factory connections for under $70 total.

I have checked the sizes and everything looks okay. The one drawback (if there is one) is that I will still have to run a stock fuel filter at the rear of the car as-is to keep the line continuous. That will be easy to replace with a tube, though. My dad has a C4 and I think the fuel lines to the LT1 intake are the same as mine, so it should work there too.

If you think this is no good, please let me know. The LS2 gets here tomorrow and it looks like I am going to roll with this plan.

Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chris you can get that filter/reg at rock auto.com for like $32 wixx filter mike
Old 10-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Sweet! Thanks for posting this.. I'm in the middle of doing an LQ9 swap, in my truck that is already tpi equipped..
I'm doing some searching as to how to make my fuel system work.. glad i found this post..
I plan on doing a low psi holley blue or black pump to feed a small surge canister in the engine compartment, then my high psi pump and the vette filter/regulator, and the return going back to the surge canister.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

I should add that the filter above is (from what I can tell) only available from Speartech. The "normal" filter has a female inlet where the single line inlet is shown in the picture. I think they add that hard line onto the filter/regulator.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

they do add that small hard line. i just went to a junk yard. chevy lumina, i think mid 90`s has two 12inch fuel lines with female ends at both ends up at the engine.then broke off about five inch of the 3/8 hard line with the male end.hardware store for a union,used a flareing tool. mike
Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
they do add that small hard line. i just went to a junk yard. chevy lumina, i think mid 90`s has two 12inch fuel lines with female ends at both ends up at the engine.then broke off about five inch of the 3/8 hard line with the male end.hardware store for a union,used a flareing tool. mike
Mike, Could you explain that again please? If the two 12 inch lines have female ends, where did you get the 3/8 hardline with the mail end?

Also is there a flaring tool, or some device, that will put the necessary rib on tubing to make a connection?

thanks

Pat
Old 10-21-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gogogadget
I should add that the filter above is (from what I can tell) only available from Speartech. The "normal" filter has a female inlet where the single line inlet is shown in the picture. I think they add that hard line onto the filter/regulator.
that is NOT a special filter.

its a normal GM corvette filter/regulator that has a 3" piece of male to male quick connect fuel line tubing in it.

you can buy these pre crimped tubing pieces at autozone, advance/shucks/kregen, napa, ect..

same with the quick connect fittings

same with the nylon fuel line.

when i did mine, i put the filter/regulator where the stock filter was.
i posted pics.. they should be on there if you search under my name:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2283469
Old 10-21-2005, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

i have a 69 camaro, i put a 96 caprice gas tank with fuel pump in tank. it has 2 lines out of the tank with the male ends,3/8 supply and return. i put the filter /reg near the tank with the 2 short lines from the mind 90`s lumina. the filter/reg has male ends going in click click done, then took the hard line i broke off with the male end, flared it,put a union in to join to my stock hard line up to firewall,did the same with a union and a short hard line broke off the same car with the male end,(had to go to another lumina for short hose, turned the fuel rail on the ls1 to the pass side click click done. total money spent $125 tank,pump and straps to hang tank,$10.00 for line at junk yard new hard line for 69 camaro $69.00, corvette filter/reg 32.78 rock auto. a complete fuel set up for a 69 camaro with an ls1 for $236.78. its some work to get the gas tank to fit (thanks chris) mike

Quick Reply: Cheap and easy fuel setup for 4th gen F-body & C4