LS1 in a 1998 V6 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 10:23 AM
ATF
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a 1998 V6 Firebird

Hey all,

I've already posted this on LS1.com, camaroz28.com, with semi-negative to totally worthless results.

I have a 98 GTP I can sell for $13k, and I know I can pick up a 1998 V6 firebird convertible for around 9-10k. Now, based on my searches I can get a used LS1, T56, and all the necessary parts for around 2-3k bucks. The only questions I have are what is needed to do this other than the drivetrain, also, how much would the conversion cost after I buy the Drivetrain, and just general things I need to know about before I start doing this. I know that many feel it is wrong to do this, and that it's probably going to upset the F-body god's or, people are just jealous that someone with a V6 firebird is going to put in their precious LS1, thats the feeling I'm getting from ls1.com/forums. But hey, the insurance is cheaper, and it's also a lot cheapers than buying a Formula or a T/A. So, thanks for any productive comments. And if I sound like a jerkoff, I'm not, trust me on that, I'm just a little discouraged by the lack of knowledge over at the other forums. Someone actually said that I'd need to cut the firewall?????? Others said that the car would not run rut and throw codes (even though I said i'd get the PCM with the engine and tranny), the tach in the dash wouldn't work, the car would be slower than a regular F-body that came with an LS1, none of these makes sense to me why they would say this. But, thats ok, it's their opinion's and I asked for it.

Thanks for any help.

Adam
Old 10-24-2002, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Default Re: LS1 in a 1998 V6 Firebird

ok here is the deal. in about 4 months i am doing this swap into my 86 camaroZ28. I would go here www.hpsalvage.com they have info on the ls1 swap into the 4th gen fboday v6. I know all the infofor a swap into a 3rd gne but not a 4th and you might want to ask him. About those prices you will be paying it is almost double 4-6k with the computer and everything to just drive it when it is in. the tach works on my car with this engine so i dont see why it wouldnt on yours. i am getting my install done by and engine and trans from speartech.com john is verry good at this and it is going to cost me a total of close to 10k for everything including labor. Good luck and have fun with it.

Chuck
Old 10-24-2002, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

At the end of the day, would it not in fact cheaper just to pick up a formula? If you have your heart set on the conversion, that's cool, but if half of that effort was focused on finding a good deal on v8, I think you might be satisfied. Good luck either way.
Regards,
Old 10-25-2002, 02:14 AM
Teching In

OK forget all the negative comments about how its impossible and all that. It is not impossible and actually not as difficult as many say it is. But what you will need is ls1/t56/ecu/all accessories, k member/front suspension, LSD, and you will have to swap the guage cluster. You will also need an adjusable fuel pressure regulator or 97 vette fuel rail with the regulator on the rail and fuel lines. You will need the v8 radiator and hoses. I managed to pick up the an 01 ls1/t56 full front and rear SS suspension, 3:42 rear end, and guage cluster for less then 5k. I have talked to a guy here locally who has done the swap in his 94 so his was abit more involved then mine. But he said al together the swap was not that bad. I amassing the rest of my parts then the transformation should be underway in about 2 weeks.

<small>[ October 25, 2002, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Speed Demon WS6 ]</small>
Old 10-25-2002, 02:20 AM
Teching In

And to all who think its always cheaper to buy a z28. I estimate 7k in my total swap, 5k for major components and another 2k in nickel and dime stuff and a few goodies. That leaves me with a 6.5k payoff on the v6(v6 had a bad engine anyways). So thats 13.5k try finding a 98 6spd at a dealership with decent mileage for that price. While i may be able to be done its very difficult lets not forget that all my major components are out of an 01 ss with 20k miles on them so I think I am making out like a bandit and still only have to pay v6 insurance.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best way to make this work is buying a 98 TA/formual that totaled, and use it as a donor car.

You will spend more than $2000-3000 for a T56 and complete LS1 w/ computer.

But when you done, you will have one of 3 v6 bodystyle/formula bodystyle verts w/ LS1's under the hood. (2 were made in 98 as GM exec cars, both WS6 formula verts, and no other formula verts have been made since)

Ryan.

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 1998 V6 Firebird