Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP!! conversion won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!! conversion won't start

First off this is a 98 ls1/t56 in a 69 camaro. Everything is in the car, bolted and plugged in. I have ls1 edit, a modified harness by speartech, a rock valley fuel tank, in tank pump. I have verified all connections and grounds. I reflashed the computer, deleted emissions etc, turned off vats, and tried to fire the car. no fuel or spark. It cranks but no start! The fuel pump relay clicks but doesnt send 12v to the pump. But there is 12v at the relay, I have verified the relay is good. The harness has 12v constant, and 2 12v ign, they are all plugged in, & seperately fused and not blowing fuses. The only things that are not hooked up off the harness is fans, back up lights, oil pressure, and a/c wires. There is one purple one with a weatherproof connector that John labled starter, that I'm not using. I emailed him and he said some cars use it and some don't. Well my motor doesnt have a spot for it so it has no place to go. John told me I might have a bad pcm? Would I still get power to the relay, and you can hear something by the throttle body actuating, and ls1 edit can read the file back to the laptop with no problems?? What am I missing? Oh yeah, the pump does work.. I have bypassed it at the relay and it does come on. Also I have scanned the car while cranking and only got a 405/452 code, which is just emission stuff that shouldnt prevent the car from running. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.. Adam 480-981-9529
Old 10-27-2002, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: NEED HELP!! conversion won't start

If water temp sesor is bad or not connect NO START dont know about oil or other if massair is bad or disconed it will run for 5 seconds
Old 10-27-2002, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

You do know that all pink wires need 12V+ when the ignition is in run and crank ????. The PCM nearly grounds the injectors and coil packs it doesn't provide the power. You can tap into the under hood connectors to accomplish this. The orange wire needs 12V+ all the time too.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response.. I decided I'm going to try to pcm.. I'll let you know if it solves the problem..
Old 10-29-2002, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Well I had the dealer reflash the pcm back to stock, plugged it in and guess what, no fuel pump?? So I bypassed the relay, primed the fuel system, and crank it.. it starts.. but dies. It's not getting fuel... but now I have spark. It can't be the vats.. because it would still allow the fuel pump to run initially.. so what is not preventing the trigger wire from activating at the relay??
Old 10-29-2002, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Vats has nothing to do with the fuel relay. It prevents the grounding of the injectors..... So it could be VATs. If you did not have VATs deleted or are using a VATs module. It will act just as you describe.I would hot wire the fuel pump for now to take the relay and its PCM control out of the equation.

<small>[ October 29, 2002, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: LS1swap ]</small>
Old 10-29-2002, 06:31 PM
Teching In

O.k... went ahead and reprogrammed my computer with ls1 edit. Turned vats off and went ahead and deleted emission stuff etc. Turned key on, no fuel pump?? Bypassed relay.. car runs.. if I keep the fuel pump bypassed.. so why is it not actuating by itself..? Thanks...
Old 10-29-2002, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help.. I figured it out.. Turns out I had a faulty wire from the computer to the relay. I guess I pinched it installing it or something.. anyway.. hooked it up and activates the pump perfect.. I have a couple other issues to deal with and the car will be ready for a test drive.. wooohooo..
Old 10-29-2002, 11:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Great! I kinda thought something didn't sound right with the relay wiring when we talked on the phone since it should have worked if it worked when you by-passed it! I'll be you're feeling good now!!!

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!! conversion won't start