Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with ?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with ?????

Hey everyone, I'm a new member from Seattle, WA.

Looks like you guys are the authorities for LS1 swaps! Hopefully you guys can help me out with some questions. I have a 68 Chevy 1/2 ton 2WD pickup, and would like to put an LS1 and 4L60E auto in it. Does anyone have any recommendations or pics of this combination? I'm looking for areas that I'll have to fabricate, ie motor mounts, A/C box, wiring harness, or any other problem areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-27-2002, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: New member with ?????

I'm currently putting one in a '68 also, but I'm using the manual tranny. I got a set of motor mount adapters from Street & Performance which made the engine installation a bolt in. I did slide it back a inch or so and trimmed the frame on the drivers side for a little extra clearance for the alternator. There is not enough room between the frame rails for the A/C compressor (I'm assuming you got an F-body engine-the accessory set up is different on Vettes) so I'm getting a kit from S & P to mount a Sanderson compressor pass side high. It's polished and comes with all necessary idler pulleys and you use 1 serpentine belt to drive everything. I'm also installing a Dakota Digital Dash, A/C kit, relocating the fuel tank to under the bed, coil overs on the rear, springs up front (it sit good on the front with the 350 that I had in it, but the LS1 is a lot lighter). The harness will be from Speartech. I borrowed a set of Hooker long tube headers from a friends '99 SS and will be checking the fit in the next day or two. S & P also makes a kit to drop the power steering pump pressure down so your gear box can handle it. I checked on going with a 1 piece drive shaft, but everyone recommends to stay with the two piece (Inland Empire says they can build me one to with stand 700HP). Fuel sytem is Aeromotive. I'll rebuild the engine last and will be loking for 400HP (which is easily attainable from the LS1) and will adding a 100HP gas shot. Any other questions get in touch.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Wow, that sounds awesome, any pics?
My truck is a short bed so i think i can get away with the one piece driveline.
I'm still in the planning stages right now, and saving the $$ to do it. Just finished my frame, tore it down and had it powdercoated with all new hardware and a 4/6 drop so i need to replenish the funds. I have a few more questions, do you have the part #'s for the a/c setup as i will probably need it with mine? Do the aftermarket harnesses keep all the factory diagnostics as well as the check engine light? I didn't even know there was a difference in the p/s pressure, that is good to know.
Thanks, and good luck on your project!
Lance
Old 10-28-2002, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

No pix, I'm working on it (got problems with my USB ports on my computer). I don't have a part # for the A/C kit but they will know exactly what you need. It comes with a polished comp, 2 polished idler pulleys, bracket and adjustment bar and uses a 99 1/2" belt. The original comp would not work for your set up with out rest of the donor car system. As far as the PCM and harness- I'm sending it out to get programmed. I will be deleting the aft O2 sensors, EGR, airpump, skip shift (man trans), and having the rev limiter raised, earlier fan turn on, and some base programming for the cam change. The Dakota Dash has a provision for the check engine light, but when you have your harness done ,they can extract the wire needed to just hook up any sort off light letting you know that codes have been set. Speartech will be doing my harness and like I said, they will delete items you are not using from it also. Plus it will/can come with relays wired up for A/C comp, fuel pump and electric fans and the factory ALDL connector (that's where you can plug into with scanner). You can send yuor harness in to get reworked or buy a new one(about $350.00 to modify and $750.00 new). 4/6 drop looks good-I had a 2/4 and was going to 6 in the rear too, but I had wheel hop/traction problems with the 350 that is in broken pieces now. So I'm going with coil overs in the rear which will only give me about 3 1/2, to help out with those concerns. My truck is a stepside also. By the way, what size tire/wheel combo are using/going to use?

Quick Reply: New member with ?????