Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory camaro alternator question

Old 06-26-2005, 09:54 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_62
Just for clarification, does the field terminal have to be connected to 12V for the Corvette alt to work, or just the lamp terminal like on the F-body alt? I have a Corvette alt for my swap with a F-body harness and wanted to wire it right the first time. John, thanks for trolling the boards and keeping us all straight.
I've always wired up the field lead when using the Vette alternator, so I'm not sure what it would do if you didn't. It's a different voltage regulator in the Vette alternator so I would assume you need to wire the field in for proper operation. You could tap into the purge canister power lead (it's close by) for a switched 12 volt source.

The field wire can be left out with no change in the function of the alternator. It was only used in some applications as an internal diagnostic to determine if the alternator is functioning properly.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com

Last edited by Speartech; 12-31-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Updating old post with more accurate info.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speartech
I've always wired up the field lead when using the Vette alternator, so I'm not sure what it would do if you didn't. It's a different voltage regulator in the Vette alternator so I would assume you need to wire the field in for proper operation. You could tap into the purge canister power lead (it's close by) for a switched 12 volt source.

Sounds good to me. I'll do it that way. Thanks John!
Old 08-19-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im a bit confused...

Do I need this resistor to keep from blowing a 2000 alternator? I just pluged the plug from my wiring harness directly into my alternator, and everything works fine as far as I know....

-Jason
Old 06-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Teching In

hey slow 346, can you explain how you did the one wire hookup. I have a corvette stock alt in a 69 camaro with the painless wiring kit. car starts but battery doesn't hold charge. I don't have the plug in switch from factory so can I get the alt to work without that factory plug in since I am not running a computer on the ls1 as it is a carb setup?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Payne, you pluged the plum from you wiring with what and how did you get the alternator to operate without the plug in?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread told me everything I need to know to wire up a Camaro alternator in a car with no PCM!

A couple of other points to make. The B terminal is also the voltage sensing wire for the regulator, so it is a good idea to have it come all the way out to the fuse box. It would be easy to hook the 500 ohm resistor to the output lug of the alternator, but then the regulator would be regulating the voltage there rather than at the fuse box.

Also I would think an LED could be used if it is connected in series with the resistor. With a 500 ohm resistor you would need a 25-30 milliamp LED.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm

Again thanks for the good info.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I learned from experience that you need that resistor or a bulb in the circuit. When I rewired my car I ran 12v thru a regular wire. On a road test I glanced over at the laptop and noticed overvoltage faults. Turns out it was charging at something like 20v! I thought I could drive it home because I was only 2 miles away, but when I got back and opened the battery box...
One exploded optima battery and a ruined brand new rear carpet set as well as staining the aluminum battery box.
I will never make that mistake again!!!!!
Old 07-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

One additional thing I found after a bunch of beating head against the wall. I kept getting the DTC for F wire failure.

Replaced the battery (an old Optima) and once you rev the engine above 2,500 prm, the DTC fault doesn't return.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Launching!

WIll this do the trick?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family
Old 07-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Ijust a put alight inline and it worked fine.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:45 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That will work just fine. I checked the alldata diagrams for a 98 and it is actually listed as 470 ohms so this will also work http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062320&cp
There really is not much of a voltage difference between the two so either one is fine.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 AM
Launching!

Thanks i went to radio shack and theyonly had the 470 ohm so i wasnt sure and bought a light instead,good to know i can use the 470 ohm too.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:29 PM

The Corvette alternator is a little different in that it also brings out the FIELD terminal (terminal C). The FIELD terminal DOES go directly to a switched ignition 12 volts. So the lamp terminal (terminal B) would be wired as described in the above reply I made, and the field would be wired directly to the ignition switch.
Does anyone know if the truck alternators use the same wiring as the vette alts? The truck alternators also use terminals B and C and I want to make sure that the alt will function properly if I put IGN + 12V to terminal C and an idiot light with 12V to terminal B. I am having charging problems and want to isolate the alternator from the computer.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Question Corvette alternator with F-Body Harness

John If I use the F-Body Harness (with the vette alt) would the single red wire that went to the f-body alt. just go to "B" pin on the vette alt.? And the "C" pin go to a switched 12 volt. And the "D" go to battery? Thanks John L.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 AM

Yes, that's correct. I don't know if you need the "D" to the battery or not. I guess it depends on what model year your alternator is for. Most of the alternators use what is called an "internal sense" for voltage control so there is no connection at D, but I see some of the newer models are going to an external sense and actually running "D" to the battery.

www.speartech.com
Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Smile

Yes, that's correct. I don't know if you need the "D" to the battery or not. I guess it depends on what model year your alternator is for. Most of the alternators use what is called an "internal sense" for voltage control so there is no connection at D, but I see some of the newer models are going to an external sense and actually running "D" to the battery.
WOW, THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE AND INFO. JOHN L
Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Question

John will I still need a resistor in the red wire from the F-Body PCM to the Vette Alt; or is this handled by the PCM or the factory harness. Thanks John L.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by lechner80
John will I still need a resistor in the red wire from the F-Body PCM to the Vette Alt; or is this handled by the PCM or the factory harness. Thanks John L.
You don`t need to run a resistor as long as it is a 99-02 f-body harness the PCM takes care of the resistance. If it is a 98 harness you will need to add a resistor or idiot light.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Alternator- rebuild or replace?

On my LT1/280Z swap, the CS144 alternator was wired in to a +12V source with ignition on w/o the resistor and was not charging. I added the 470 ohm Radio Shack resistor in this line and it still is not charging. Of course, this alternator came with another motor I had bought a while ago so I don't know if it was any good to start with.

When this happens, what part of the alternator is damaged? The rectifier or voltage regulator or something else?

Is it worthwhile to rebuild it (complete kit about $50)?

I think I have this figured out for my Toyota swap (CS130 alternator)- the charge light wire is reversed polarity from the GM setup, but I can handle that with a relay to reverse the polarity.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:50 PM

It's the voltage regulator that is damaged from it.

www.speartech.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory camaro alternator question