Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I KNOW IT ISN'T A LS1 BUT>>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I KNOW IT ISN'T A LS1 BUT>>>>>>

You guys seem to be some of the most knowledgeable people I have found on swapping late model Chevy V8's into cars that never came with fuel injection. Even better, I know from experience that you are able to explain things in terms that I can understand. So I am hoping you guys might be able to help me with my swap.

I just picked up a LT1 to swap into 1956 Chevy and I want to make sure that I understand the logistics of this swap correctly.

The engine is out of a '95 Trans Am that had a six speed. I chose this engine because it was a good price, has the OBDI system, and only had 60,000 miles on it.

1. I chose to go with an engine out of a 6spd car because, as I understood it, it has nothing to do with the tranny. Therefore all I would have to do to mate this to his 700R4 was swap the flywheel for a compatible flexplate. Is that correct?

2. Somebody else has told me that they had to swap their computer, to make it compatible with a non computer controlled automatic transmission. Do I have to do this as well? If so, why?

3. I know I will need to have an in-tank fuel pump installed and a fuel to and from the engine (return line) intalled on the fuel tank. People have suggested using 3/8" lines for both lines. Is this a good size?

I know I will need to reprogram the computer, shorten the drive shaft, and change the motor mounts. Is there anything else that needs to be changed? Any suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks guys.

David
Old 03-22-2003, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I KNOW IT ISN'T A LS1 BUT>>>>>>

I would contact one of the sponsors here www.speartech.com. They sell harness conversions, can flash PCMs, generally have the retofit info you are looking for. He is located over in Indiana if you feel like a roadtrip.

PS. good to see someone else from Central Illinois doing something other than "putting ricer wings on Grand Ams"