Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cowl induction w/backwards LS manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question cowl induction w/backwards LS manifold

has anyone considered mounting a LS manifold backwards and getting cold air from the cowl, kind of like the original cowl induction on the 67-68 z/28 that had a flat hood? does anyone see any problems/issues with this?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Can a LS manifold be mounted backwards?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Teching In

i'm pretty sure the guys that build sandrails do it all the time, or a least i know i've seen two or three on this site
Old 01-03-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing... might not really be a problem, but I think it will be a little nosier inside the engine compartment.

Originally Posted by haphazard6
has anyone considered mounting a LS manifold backwards and getting cold air from the cowl, kind of like the original cowl induction on the 67-68 z/28 that had a flat hood? does anyone see any problems/issues with this?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive always wanted to try the same thing. In the old school street rods they have the vent in the middle of the cowl, I want to run a ram air setup into one of those off a reverse mounted ls1 intake.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turbo guys do it all the time. I thought about it when I was first putting the motor in but haven't really thought about it since.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

yea, lots of intake noise, as well as somethin weird with the throttle cable and vaccum for the brake booster if you would be using it. and i think the tb would becompletely interfering with your firewall not to mention maf and ducting.

However i dont see any reason why it could not be done witha front facing tb, maybe a little more tubing but muuuch less work in the end, something ive been considering for mine. If i end up havin time to do it ill post pics, just not sure if ill like having somethin covering up my engine....
Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was going to do that, but i'd have to use a hydraboost or something for the vacuum, and figure out a way to smooth the back of the intake. Mine's really ugly, so i'm going to leave the intake as-is, i polished the TB to make it look pretty, and use the cowl hood open as a sort of pressure relief. I'm sure the air moving over the top of the hood will extract hot air from the engine compartment, especially at freeway speeds. If you do it, post pics =)
olly
Old 01-04-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wouldnt the wiring harness need to be modified for the MAP sensor, if spun around 180 degrees.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought of using my cowl vent for intake air but decided I didn't need that noise into the interior, the cowl vent in these old cars isn't ducted or anything and are just open inside under the dash. I'm ducting air from mine to my Hot Rod Air A/C system.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haphazard6
assuming you have the room for the throttlebody and intake coming off the rear of the motor, you can do it.

the MAP sensor wires need to be extended.
the brake booster line will now be much farther away. same with the HVAC lines.
the throttle cables have to be looped around to connect.
also, if you still have the vapor purge, you need to move the wires around on the intake harness. if you remove the vapor purge, you can use that vac source for the HVAC... i wouldnt try it for the the brake or the MAP though...

overall, its not that hard of a job to do, but it does present some problems depending on the car its done on.

Quick Reply: cowl induction w/backwards LS manifold