Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 grand am

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 grand am

i have a 2000 grand am GT and I have been contemplating an ls1 conversion. I can get an ls1 block for 200$ from a friend of mine, and I was just wondering exactly how hard this would be. How hard would it be to convert the GA to rear wheel drive? How hard would it be to put the ls1 in? and around how much would it cost? thanks guys
Old 01-13-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

how much you got?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This would be a big project, requiring some serious fabrication.The engine can probably be mounted in the original cradle, but the tranny tunnel will have to be modified to accept the rear drive tranny. To make room for the drive shaft, you will have to move the plastic gas tank (it's under the rear seat). After deciding on the type of rear suspension that you want, you will have to fab up mounting points for it. A sub frame of some sort and mini-tubs might be a good idea while you are at it.
An alternative would be a full tube frame from one of the race chassis companies, but I don't think it would be any easier and would most likely be less "street friendly".
My wife's daily driver is a 2000 Grand Am. I've always said it would be twice the car if it were rear wheel drive. If you take your time and pay attention to the small details, I think you would have yourself an awesome car . I'm sure it would be a blast to drive.Ken
Old 01-13-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to guess that you're somewhat on the younger side based on your vehicle choice. My advice (I think I'm qualified to offer advice at this point) is to pick a RWD car or wait until you have tons of money. My bet is that if you wait, you'll choose a different car. Pick something that will retain value or increase in value after an LS1 is dropped into it.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this guy put a procharged 5.7 tpi with rwd conversion
in his grand am
http://www.aedcentral.com/photopost/...=1549&size=big
Old 01-14-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NemeSS
this guy put a procharged 5.7 tpi with rwd conversion
in his grand am
http://www.aedcentral.com/photopost/...=1549&size=big
That guy also spent a TON of money on "Betty Racer"

It can be done, but seeing as you're asking us the question, I'm assuming you can't do the fabrication, which means it's going to cost 15-20K+ if you want it done right. That's some dollars.

Quick Reply: ls1 grand am