Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of Trans-Dapt MM brackets/notched oil pan/Turbo Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:02 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pics of Trans-Dapt MM brackets/notched oil pan/Turbo Headers

Here's a few pics of some various components for my 1st gen conversion.

Motor mount brackets are from Trans-Dapt, have solid Moroso SBC mounts attached currently for mockup. Will probably run Poly mounts though when its together. The Trans-Dapt brackets needed some modifying to work, the bolt holes for the metric bolts were too small, I used a unibit to open them up to 9/16". The kit came with all hardware.

Oil Pan was modified by myself and had a friend weld it up. We used .125" thick plate...2.5" was the depth both ways. I still have to modify the pickup tube, but it should be pretty easy.

Turbo headers are actually for a 302 mustang (LS1->Fox guys can prob use this stuff too), but from a "race" kit not the street kit I originally wanted to use (I have a HP Perf. Street kit on my 89 Mustang). After mocking up my "street" mustang kit on the motor there was a few things I didn't like such as downpipe placement and just the general location of the turbo. Using the "race" style headers I can do either twins or make a crossover and have a single 76mm. I havn't tested them in the car, but it looks like they should be fine and have ample room for downpipes. I'll probably go the single route on mine as it will be plenty and keep costs down.

The manufacturer of these headers already have a crossover pipe, which I'll fit in the car first, but will probably change as it sets the turbo kinda low.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why the solid motor mounts? Will that affect knock at all? Do the Ford headers have approx the correct exhaust port spacing? Trying to learn things, esp about boost setups for future reference.

olly
Old 02-21-2006, 12:21 AM

I used solid mounts on my last motor which was a ZZ4 SBC, don't plan on using them with the LS1 as I'm afraid of using the aluminum block as part of the chassis. I have new rubber stock SBC mounts also, the solids were at the shop so I just used them for now to see how the Trans-Dapt's fitted.

The bore spacing is almost exact, maybe off a few thousanths at the most, but close enough to fab stuff from. I didn't want to build a kit from scratch, so this is a big help if it works out how I think it will. I got the idea to use the mustang kit as the guys installing LS1's into them have been using mustang headers with LS1 flanges welded on.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:30 AM

This is what the kit looks like in a Fox Mustang. I don't like the 3.5" crossover, I'd rather have 3", and have the turbo mounted up on top where you can see it. Not good pics, but you can see how simple this design is though.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet. Yeah, I'd do the 3" to keep it looking like the "pipes" screensaver, too. When you're running boost, the tube size is less important, because once you're at full boost, it can only accept so much air, from what i've gathered, so you wouldnt lose performance.. If "I" could afford it, smaller twins to keep it symmetrical, and smooth looking, plus, "I drive a 1967 twin turbo camaro" has a nice ring to it .Even though it may not have as much peak power, and be a bit heavier, this looks absolutely sick...

I was thinking about modding BBC headers, because they're cheap, but they'd be too long, {*ground clearance} and too spread apart on the exhaust port spacing. Are you thinking about putting the turbo flange directly on the end of that header after a "Y", or put it somewhere else? The downpipe wouldnt be terrible like that, you'd just run it straight down, then towards the rear in front of the mount..

For modding the pickup, all you need is a torch, some leather gloves, and firm pressure. I destroyed one trying to add tubing, when you can get an extra 3-4" just by straightening out the last 2 bends.
be sure to post pics of it in the bay when you're mocking it up, im sure there's lots of us keeping our eyes peeled.
olly

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 02-21-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:59 AM

Twins would add about $1500 to the cost (depending on sources) since there is two of everything (turbos, wastegates, and blowoff valves), although they do seem to have a longer/flatter torque curve on the SOTP meter. These headers have v-band flanges already on them, so to put twins on would just need a short piece of pipe from the v-band flange to the turbo flange. Add enough room for a wastegate on each side too. The one advantage to fabbing it up with twins is I can use two smaller downpipes vs. one huge one. I'm not -that- worried about the price difference for mine but if this is something I'd be selling, a $4500 kit would be easier to aquire than a $6000 kit, I just want something easy to make and duplicate if there is more interest in it.

I'll try straightening those bends in the pickup, I just need about an inch more.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok here's what I meant by my last post.. see this...

The crossover pipe snakes underneath the pulleys, and goes into a "Y" right after the manifold, leaving the hot-side turbo piping as short as possible, and the turbo up high in the engine compartment. Then you've got a straight shot down on the cool side to the intercooler, then back straight up to the intake.. Then you've got plenty of room for a good 4" downpipe straight back past the manifold that the turbo's on. If you positioned the turbo like this, all it'd take is an "S" bend.

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 02-21-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:17 AM

Thats just like my kit on the Mustang.

Is having two turbo cars sane?

www.texas-speed.com/videos/turbopotak.wmv

A vid a friend made of my mustang, I watched it a million times while it was down getting another new motor. Just finished the new one 2 weeks ago, so it should be a little quicker now.

Quick Reply: Pics of Trans-Dapt MM brackets/notched oil pan/Turbo Headers