Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 in a '39 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 6.0 in a '39 Chevy

[IMG][/IMG] Okay, I got the LQ4 out of the donor truck with 11,000 miles on it and got the computer and harness (all that wasn't hardwired to the truck). I've been reading and have a couple of newbie questions I didn't see he answers to elsewhere.....
1. Since I have had a reality attack at the prices for wiring harnesses, I'm considering a carburetor and MSD kit for this car. Also have the complete 4L80E that came with the engine, and I need the O.D. for the street. How would I marry the two, if I go this way??

2. Is there an easier way to do this, that I'm missing using the stock set up?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by wagonmaster; 03-18-2006 at 07:20 AM. Reason: photo
Old 03-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Restricted User

You already have the wiring harness and PCM, the motor should be ready to fire up. You may only have to hook up a few grounds and your power wires....that's it.

The reality is this: if you purchase a carb and the MSD kit for that motor, you will end up spending MORE (almost 2x) money on a motor that already has an exising wiring harness & PCM that will work and make that motor run. .
Old 03-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Lightbulb 1939-ls2- 6.0

Thanks John!
I was trying to make this ride as quick as my '00 LS1 Vert....The existing harness is quite large and bulky for a street rod, but the '39 does have a little room to hide stuff.
[IMG][/IMG]
What do you think??
Further,
I also have the truck fuse box and attachments. Had to cut a harness off that went to some lights....I hope that's what they went to... What can I do away with and still run the 'puter and the appropriate hook-ups?? Clearly, I am a computer moron, as many of us old guys are, but I'd like to hear advice from someone that knows what is needed, or not. Can you help with that?

Last edited by wagonmaster; 03-18-2006 at 10:16 AM. Reason: question
Old 03-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Restricted User

Yepper, the rod looks like it has a bunch of room. Well, I'm still learning about wiring harnesses myself. I was going to send mine to **non-sponsor**, as he trims them down for conversions for a decent price. Good luck, nice hot rod!

Last edited by Scooter70; 03-18-2006 at 04:45 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link
Old 03-18-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Joe,
Click on the LS1 Swap FAQ sticky post at the top. There is a wire list in there that will tell you which wires are required, optional, or unnecessary. That said, there are site sponsors who can trim down the wiring harness for you, if you decide that it's over your head. (2 years ago when I did my swap, I was scared of the wiring and had Speartech do my harness.)

You'll find quite a few people around here (myself included) who feel that a carbed LSx just isn't worth doing. The benefits of EFI are what makes the engine swap worthwhile.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up EFI Makes it right!

Thanks Scooter!
I think you're right! I'll see what I can find out. What did it cost to trim yours, if you don't mind me asking??

Last edited by wagonmaster; 03-18-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:05 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

STAY fuel injected! youll like a lot better, dont be imtimidated by the wiring, just hook up 1 at a time, I had Speartech steamline an LT1 harness for my camaro project 2yrs ago and it was 450$, but everything came back labeled and it was a 4 wire hookup. They made my life easier, Good luck.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks Tim!! I'll email them right now!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

I believe every car should have a gen 3! well, only the cool ones!Good luck on your project, Im talking my dad into a LS1 or 6.0 into his 53 buick! OLD CARS+GEN 3 = BADASS!!!
Old 03-18-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I second what alot of these guys are saying. You can most definately "trim the fat" on that wiring harness. Depending on what you do and don't want to have you can lose things like rear O2's gastank purge, EGR, Evap purge, ect ect. There are about a dozen things you can get rid of. Basically if you want to trim it down enough you can even eliminate the MAF. Think about what all you are gonna want and then you can go from there. It's not unreasonable to lose about 1/5th of the harness if you get rid of what you "don't" need.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TIM Z
I believe every car should have a gen 3! well, only the cool ones!Good luck on your project, Im talking my dad into a LS1 or 6.0 into his 53 buick! OLD CARS+GEN 3 = BADASS!!!
Nah, some are cool like that some aren't. Personally I'm a fan of the old flat head fords, (don't know why they are terds compared to even 4 bangers now) but still though. They are a piece of history and that in itself is cool. If the 53 is a numbers matching car no way in hell would I screw with it.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Joe, I am also an old car guy that is going LS1, Speartech built a custom harness for me, he would have modified my stock harness for less, but I was able to sell my stock harness for most of the difference in price. It came out looking great and easy enough for even a dummy like me to understand. Good luck with your '39. There is another regular poster on the board that did a great 35 Ford, do a search on Oscar Will, you will see what he did with his.

Pat

P.S. I agree with the others, stay with the EFI!

Quick Reply: 6.0 in a '39 Chevy