Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 wiring basics

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On the above wiring, why connect the C1 connector C10 wire (ppl/wht) to the old starter solenoid wire? Couldn't you just connect the old starter wire to the solenoid and bypass this setup? Or does this feed several circuits that need voltage in the start position?

One other quick question: On a 2000 truck harness, connector C2 pins F3 and F11 are labeled 'Fused Automatic Shift Lock Solenoid Feed' (light green/black wire) and 'Trans Mounted Neut Sfty Sw Output - Park/Neut (Auto)' (yellow wire). I'm using the stock 4L80e, but I'm not sure what to do with these. I'm not using the stock fuse box.

It sounds like the second is the neutral safety switch output, which I am not using because I am using the NSS from my B&M shifter. Still not sure of the first though.

-T
Old 09-29-2009, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default No crank, no start

I was actually wondering the same thing, I moved my old solenoid wire onto the new engine solenoid and it cranks right up

Now I need to figure out why the fuel pump won't run. I can put 12 v directly to it and it works fine but feeding it from C3 pin F1 isn't working.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, i have 2004 5.3, with a blue/green wiring harness... and the c2 pinout are different, i have no idea what all the pink wires do? anyone have the pinouts of a 2004 5.3? also i think my fuel relay 12v is drk geen/white and not grey? any input would be very helpfull

thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

lt1swap.com has pinouts for most years.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

this is a very helpful and informational thread.....thought i was gonna have to send my harness out when i start on the s10....
Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 AM
On The Tree

heres the back side of my c2, i need to kno whats what

Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleepy_boy1
heres the back side of my c2, i need to kno whats what

Grab a multimeter and start testing all of the pink wires in the plug to all of the pink wires going to the various sensors.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

which one is for fuel? grey or drak green/white?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

sleepy... A7, dark green/white, is the FP relay control. use this link to determine what you need and don't need.

and here's another link that the same guy put together here on ls1tech with excel files so you can keep track of what you delete. i highlighted all my proposed changes in the file before i did anything so i could get an idea of what i was doing before i started cutting.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

hi guys,

i have a few questions, first of i have a 2003 5.3, going into a jeep wrangler and i have connected all the pink wires to hot in run, but im not getting any spark on cranking.... i have 12v in the pink wires in the coils, but no spark to plugs..... also does it make a difference if i use my old wires for the starter? or should i be using the ppl gm wire? any ideas?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sleepy_boy1
hi guys,

i have a few questions, first of i have a 2003 5.3, going into a jeep wrangler and i have connected all the pink wires to hot in run, but im not getting any spark on cranking.... i have 12v in the pink wires in the coils, but no spark to plugs..... also does it make a difference if i use my old wires for the starter? or should i be using the ppl gm wire? any ideas?
Make sure your 'hot in run' wires are also hot during CRANKING. ACcessory power from the key turns off when cranking, make sure they are on an IGNITION circuit from the key.

check your grounds. The coil's get ground from the ground terminal located near the power steering pump, I see this one get left unhooked a lot, with same complaint of no spark.

good luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 AM
On The Tree

im going to check it out today and will report back
Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

my jeep wont start!!!

my grounds have a little spark in them???? when i rub the ground wire near the alt bracket i get a tiny spark!!! what does that mean?

the spark come when key is in run, so that tells me it comming from one of the pink wires...

there is still no spark, im getting spark in the pink wires to the coils but no spark into plug wires.... what would tell the pcm not to fire the plugs?

i have still not conected a belt on the accessories.. could that be a reason???

would not having a tac connected cause the pcm not to send spark?

i have connected all pink wires to hot in run,and 2 orange to 12v are there any other wires i need to connect?

how do i check if cranksensor, camsenseor are getting signals? i have no errors on my scan tool for these two sensors... so i guess that means they are connected ok....

the engine is well grounded... and vats have been removed i have blue/green harness and pcm ground wire is connected,

i need help fast, any ideas?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you would need a scan tool to read rpm when cranking.

might also check this.

at key on, fuel pump will run for 2 seconds then stop. Crank it over, then stop cranking, leave key in run position and see if fuel pump continues for 2 seconds and then stop.

if fuel pump starts back up each time you crank it, the PCM IS getting crank signal.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

i have a scan tool and it reads 650rpm when cranking....so the crank sensor is working..... also im using the old jeep ign direct wire for my fuel pump, so the fuel pump runs through the jeep pcm, should i be using the gm fusebox for my fuel? could that be a reason for no spark...
Old 12-15-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it should not keep it from running. 650rpm seems fast for cranking over..???

You might get a test light, hook one end of light to ground, the other to the pcm's relay control wire for the fuel pump, see what the light does.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by acdcgcsc
have you look at a company call superior harness company thats where I get my LS1 harness I hook up 2 wires that was it. The rest plug in and the plug were label. It had all the thing I need in it. I understand what you say about doing yourself but something are worth buy. AND IT LOOK MUCH BETTER!!! if I don't do it
A little nugget of wisdom I got from my father 20 years ago: sometimes it's better to pay someone to do what they do so you can get paid to do what you do.

I'm all for DIY projects, but sometimes it's really not worth the headache just to say you did it.

3 hours of my time, being aggravated the entire time, isn't worth saving a few hundred bucks, personally.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

I just did a quick Google search for Speartech and came up with this:

http://blogs.popularhotrodding.com/6...ess/index.html

Seriously? 1600 bucks for a harness?

Riiigghhhttt....
Old 12-16-2009, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

ok guys, so i have power going to my coils(still noting comming out to the spark plugs), it looks like i have no ground comming to them to complete the cricuit, same thing for injectors,..... is the ground supposed to come PCM?

all 3 wires are completly grounded, so im guessing my PCM is not letting my coils fire.... could my PCM be damaged? when i use my scantool everything on it work and it reads all data,

i would love to get a custom harness but im on a budget..
Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

hi guys everything is working now!!!!..... the coils and the injectors and the fuel pump... turns out i didnt have power during ceranking..... anyways the jeep runs, but now i have a new problem i dont know how to fix,

i have a dead throttle, its like i have no pedal, the tac and pedal are matching parts to the 2003 engine, and i checked them on another vehicle and they work,with my scan tool im getting a p0120 "throttle postions sensor 1 malfunction" i have no idea where to look any ideas? i know that there is a 5v and a low reference wire... is there something i missed out during swap with the TB?

also i have no codes for TAC or Pedal which lead me to believe that the problem is somewhere in the TB area

Quick Reply: 5.3 wiring basics