Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wants to help me wire my LS1/Mustang swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who wants to help me wire my LS1/Mustang swap?

I had Speartech modify my engine harness so it should be a snap!! LOL I just really hate wiring things...

For wiring in the fuel pump and ignition key, do I just need to find the main "hot" wires for them and splice in the new harness? Can I just use the little jumper connectors?

How do I tie into the factory Ford harness that goes to the battery terminals?

Should I leave my main key and Ford harness seperate from the rest? Like the one that runs the lights, radio, etc. and just have a switch panel inside to run the LS1 harness?

Dammit see now I've already confused myself LOL
Old 06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Leave the Ford wiring alone, with the exception of pulling the engine harness -- that's not needed, obviously. Then find a wire from the key that's hot in the on and start positions, and wire it to the PCM IGN wire on the LS1 harness. That's basically it, other than grounding the harness, sensors, etc.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brains
Leave the Ford wiring alone, with the exception of pulling the engine harness -- that's not needed, obviously. Then find a wire from the key that's hot in the on and start positions, and wire it to the PCM IGN wire on the LS1 harness. That's basically it, other than grounding the harness, sensors, etc.
Engine harness is out, but the starter and main power cables and grounds from the battery are still in the car.

How can I find the Hot wire from the ignition key?

As for the fuel pump, do I just splice the LS1 wire into the Ford fuel pump wire?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:06 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you still have the wire that went to the original ford coil???? That would be the IGN hot.

For the fuel pump did speartech include a relay in the harness? If he did then you need to find the + wire that goes back to your fuel pump and just tie it in. If speartech did not include a relay for the fuel pump then you will have to add one or make your ford fuel pump relay work. I can tell you how to add one but I have no experiance with fords so I can`t tell you how to hook the stocker up withot seeing one or having diagrams.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Ford relay is a negative trigger to turn on the fuel pump, while the LS1 is a positive. You can either rewire the factory relay, or wire a second relay in place.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G-Body
Do you still have the wire that went to the original ford coil???? That would be the IGN hot.

For the fuel pump did speartech include a relay in the harness? If he did then you need to find the + wire that goes back to your fuel pump and just tie it in. If speartech did not include a relay for the fuel pump then you will have to add one or make your ford fuel pump relay work. I can tell you how to add one but I have no experiance with fords so I can`t tell you how to hook the stocker up withot seeing one or having diagrams.
Well the car has 2 coil packs and the main engine harness connects via one giant plug near the passenger side hood hinge.

Yes Speartech included a relay in with the fuel pump harness, but like Brains said, if it's a Positive relay, then I don't know if it will work.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Just look at the original ford plugs that tied into the old EFI harness. Locate a wire that is hot when the key is on and tie that wire into the speartech harness for power. As for the fuel pump relay just tap that same hot wire or find another in the original EFI plugs and use that as the trigger wire for the relay. You should have all the wires you need in those 2 (?) original Ford plugs that your old EFI harness used.

Let me know if you need any help man. I think your the same cat that post's up on DFWStangs right? Same screen name there so shoot me a PM on either board if you need some help some time. Im no genius and still learning a lot from my LS1 swap but maybe I can come over and help you get that thing going.

Lason
Old 06-27-2006, 12:15 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On the coils one of the wires should be +12V when the key is on and in the start position. On a GM car the wire is pink but I don`t know if that holds true with a ford.

The fuel pump relay will work, if speartech already included a relay then you don`t need the factory ford one. You can just connect the output from speartech`s relay to the fuel pump.

Do you have wiring diagrams for your mustang? If you do I could tell you which connector / pins you need.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:01 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

Dude. Get out in the garage and work on that thing. Before I even though of starting an ls1 swap I was reading your buildup thread. And since then Ive sterted and finished mine.

What else is there to do besides the wiring? Did you get the clutch setup figured out? Shoot me a pm if you havent, Ive got an sn95 setup figured out that might help you. My buddie was going to do the ls1 swap as well in his sn95 and we figured out a way.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LX1
Dude. Get out in the garage and work on that thing. Before I even thought of starting an ls1 swap I was reading your buildup thread. And since then Ive started and finished mine.

What else is there to do besides the wiring? Did you get the clutch setup figured out? Shoot me a pm if you havent, Ive got an sn95 setup figured out that might help you. My buddie was going to do the ls1 swap as well in his sn95 and we figured out a way.
LOL ya it's been over a year now since I've started. It's hard to find time working days and nights, and trying to please a girlfriend and see my daughter on days off. Plus my car is at a buddies shop so I can't just work on it whenever I please, and the car was at the painter's for about 3 months last summer...but enough with the excuses...

I have to install the wiring harness, figure out how to make the clutch work, have a driveshaft modified and the exhaust finished, then get a set of F-body fans and get all the cooling hoses and whatnot done. All that should make it running and driveable. Then I'd finish it off with a full set of gauges eventually.

Definately fill me in on the SN95 clutch setup you have figured out. That would certainly help out a ton.

Quick Reply: Who wants to help me wire my LS1/Mustang swap?