Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 chevy II conversion????

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 chevy II conversion????

i am going to start on my fathers 67 chevy II,, is that a common conversion for an ls motor...... thanks for the help,,,,,,
Old 08-24-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't call it a common conversion but it has been done and by several folks here. My transplant recipient is a '62 with a TCI front clip. Seems that most I remember have used an aftermarket front clip. Since mine is a rust bucket total rebuild it is taking a while. In a nutshell this is what I have learned:
1. Use the engine and trans combo from the same car with all of the electronics.
2. Don't get rid of anything until you are done.
3. '99 up PCUs are the same and different than '97-'98 models
4. Don't think that motor mount adapters are going to lead to a carefree install
5. The uncut Nova trans tunnel won't accept a M6 or A4
6. The members here are invaluable for helping to solve problems
7. John at Spearco is a premium guy.

I can hardly wait to fire my car up, it will be unusual and fast but also reliable. Hang in there and good luck.

Last edited by Novas Forever; 08-24-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

What a great combo! Great style +light weight=lots of fun
Old 08-27-2006, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
I wouldn't call it a common conversion but it has been done and by several folks here. My transplant recipient is a '62 with a TCI front clip. Seems that most I remember have used an aftermarket front clip. Since mine is a rust bucket total rebuild it is taking a while. In a nutshell this is what I have learned:
1. Use the engine and trans combo from the same car with all of the electronics.
2. Don't get rid of anything until you are done.
3. '99 up PCUs are the same and different than '97-'98 models
4. Don't think that motor mount adapters are going to lead to a carefree install
5. The uncut Nova trans tunnel won't accept a M6 or A4
6. The members here are invaluable for helping to solve problems
7. John at Spearco is a premium guy.

I can hardly wait to fire my car up, it will be unusual and fast but also reliable. Hang in there and good luck.
Do you have a website that is tracking your progress??
Old 08-28-2006, 04:59 AM
Launching!

Hardest thing so far is the exhaust manifold / header issue. Mine also involves an after market front subframe, stock front end may or may not be worse... Oil pan also needs to be checked for clearance, Heidts and F boody pan are OK. Passenger engine mount on Heidts had to be shortened ~3/4" for offset, trans tunnel enlarged and new opening for shifter, new driveshaft..nah piece of cake and lots of fun..anticipation is mounting now for me awaiting dryer weather to paint the car, garage built you know.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I should be tracking my project on a website but I am not. I am awful slow. I do want to help anyone else I can on a similar swap. I have been helped a lot right here but the Nova swap is unusual. I am always ready to answer any question. I agree that headers seem to be a big problem. My latest thought is modifying some Ford headers since they have the same port spacing. The rearend is about to go back under the car so I will go on to the next challenge. It is going to be a beauty when it is done.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

I'm doing a 66, I used the suspension off a C4 vette for the front, and a IRS DANA 44 for the rear.

I ran straight frame rails front to back.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:49 AM
Teching In

hey Novas forever, I am planning on doing the same thing to my 63, how nuch work did the tranny tunnel take to fit in the 4l60? I have a 350/350 combo sitting in my TCI right now. I also got the rear subframe, so i have the adjustable tranny crossmember. I have tried asking around on the stevesnovasite.com website, but they told me to ask around here. What other types of troubles did you have putting it in?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey pmcclelland99
Well you know how snug everything fits in the little cars then. Your T350 has enough room but the 4L60 is much bigger. I bought an LS1/T56 combo but could not bring myself to cut the tunnel up to get the 6 speed in. I would say that as soon as the tunnel narrows after the bell housing area the cutting would have to begin. I had to use a scattershield to get my set-up to work so I know there is room in that area. You would end up having to enlarge the area pretty far back since the 4L60 is fairly long. The LS1 is setting in the car now and it went in easily. The F-body oil pan fits fine. I used adapter plates for the motor mounts which required a small amount of work on the actual mounts but not bad. The alternator has room in the stock location as does the power steering pump. There is no clearance for the A/C compressor. My major challenge now is exhaust. I have not found any off-the-shelf headers that will fit and I don't think there are any. The stock manifolds will not clear.

Kind of wish I had the rear subframe like you do. When I had the body work done they welded in subframe connectors and floor supports so i didn't want to have to mess with taking that out, but maybe should have! If I forgot anything just let me know.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Launching!

...There is no clearance for the A/C compressor. My major challenge now is exhaust. I have not found any off-the-shelf headers that will fit and I don't think there are any. The stock manifolds will not clear.
I have never worked on a 63 but my 66 will accept the A/C with stock frontend:

Also, I bought a set of Vette exhaust manifolds and although I can't get them on with the engine in the car (a head bolt hits) I may be able to get them to fit if they are mounted on the engine before it is installed. I have not determined if the steering box will clear yet. Now, having said all of that I may still clip the frontend to gain clearance but I think these issues can be overcome with a stock frontend - time will tell.

Last edited by BBPanel; 09-03-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

BBPanel, any pics of the side clearance or other pics of the engine bay? I'm interested in this swap for my 65, so any pics are appreciated
Old 09-03-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

The new GTO oil pan will work with the stock suspension. I've done this conversion for a customer - and have a jig for headers, with the stock suspension. It's a very tight fit...

If you're using an aftermarket front end - it's a simple bolt in, wire in conversion. The stock front end though - poses some challenges.

I recently bought a '62 wagon that I'm working on at the moment, and hopefully will have the front end(Smith Racecraft) and motor in and running by Hot Rod's drag week next year!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Launching!

do you have pictures of the car (LANE) i want to use to the stock subframe and i do have a gto engine that i would like to use is an ls2 with a six speed
we was planning on building some headers too
Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gEtyOPaPiOn
do you have pictures of the car (LANE) i want to use to the stock subframe and i do have a gto engine that i would like to use is an ls2 with a six speed
we was planning on building some headers too
Here's some as the car was going together. Sorry if they're a little dark. And yes - the pan has been chrome plated. The customer liked chrome!

The headers came out real nice, and I've built a couple more pairs since then.
Attached Thumbnails 67 chevy II conversion????-enginebay.jpg   67 chevy II conversion????-undercar1.jpg   67 chevy II conversion????-undercar2.jpg   67 chevy II conversion????-driverhead.jpg   67 chevy II conversion????-passhead.jpg  

Old 09-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Launching!

thats what i was looking for just to get a visual ...do you mind showing the driver side headers ? and what motor mounts did you use ? are the headers for sale ? hehe ? long tubes ?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gEtyOPaPiOn
thats what i was looking for just to get a visual ...do you mind showing the driver side headers ? and what motor mounts did you use ? are the headers for sale ? hehe ? long tubes ?
The fourth pic is the drivers side. The mounts were S&P pieces. The steering linkage is pretty close and does touch when you lock the steering wheel to one side - or maybe both, can't remember. It doesn't hit bad enough the hurt anything though. Didn't even scratch the chrome on the pan.

I could do some headers, but with you being so far away - I wouldn't be comfortable selling you something that you may have to 'adjust' some, or a lot... I'll dig up my jigs and think about that some more though. LT's I don't think are possible. The collectors in the pics are 2.5" and they barely fit in between the tranny and front braces. The car did have a 4L60E in it though. M6 may give some more room.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 350SS
BBPanel, any pics of the side clearance or other pics of the engine bay? I'm interested in this swap for my 65, so any pics are appreciated
I don't have a lot of pics at this time but here are a couple - not a lot of detail to be seen. The car is all packed away at the moment or I would take some more pics. I also have a GTO oil pan and my steering linkage hits it but I have not determined how much so yet.

I'll check and see if I have any better pics in another location.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Launching!

great pictures guys .....my friend will be happy to see this pictures lol
Old 09-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Launching!

Found a couple more:

Old 09-04-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't see how headers/manifolds will fit w/ the stock front clip, but I know pictures are hard to judge depth on. If you get a set of manifolds/headers to fit please, let us know. I'm just amazed the stock ac compressor fits, that's great

Quick Reply: 67 chevy II conversion????