Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California smog legal swaps

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop we take our normal cars to has turned into some hot rod lair, first just a couple cars, now word has gotten out they do good work, and there were a FREAKING dozen old crates there getting new engines etc. if not a full restore (somebody else doing body work etc. it looks like). No smog and the mix of modern electronic ignitions and carbs, and these old cars are playgrounds for the idle rich. The place is crawling with 50 something guys driving what they couldn't have 30 years ago.

******* Engine swaps, the more I learn, the less I fear, but the more I know its going to cost. I found out yesterday one of the big Jeep engine swap places is right here in town, T&J I think its called. Jeep is their main thing, but much of the swap is Dependant on the engine used, and these guys are getting OBDII motors into old jeeps through California smog, so they might have a clue.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by aram
Oh yeah and HPTuners is your friend when reffing these cars.
Hey aram, my LS4 engine/trans package ships out on monday, time frame for the swap......late summer. Looking into tapping the ECM through the BCM
Old 11-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Absolutely, gotta be able to clear all the codes.

What worries me is some of this stuff is starting to make sense.

CARB swap guidelines could fit on a business card. They need to flesh it out a bit because I am sure not even 10% of the swap guys are running legal, just doing whatever it takes to fake through a normal smog test and going home to bolt up the long tubes for another two years. Plus it freaking makes NO SENSE to block me from putting in an LSx engine because I can't mount the O2 sensors in the factory location, so I run some 20 year old barely passing oil burner.

OTOH if you want bragging rights showing me a smog legal swap you did yourself is going to impress the hell out of me now.

Quick Reply: California smog legal swaps