Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! LS1 into 78 Camaro mid install issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!! LS1 into 78 Camaro mid install issues

If anyone can assist that would be great. I am a member of Nastyz28 also, and I've spoken with Schitzo via phone on some of these issues and Lesrace82 also regarding my Trans Dapt mount plates that he used successfully months ago

My car is in the shop on a lift with a 2004 GTO LS1 in it, mid install.
Problems that they have run into so far are ,

1. Alternator is sitting too low (or engine is) and is hitting the pitman arm so I can't turn 1 way. They think maybe an F-body alternator instead might work. Not sure yet, but I was told by Schitzo that a member here named MJLS1 got the GTO motor in with minor issues and the same GTO Alternator was fine in his swap into the same car. Here's a pic of his car with the different mounts from 1972 and earlier.

2. Passenger side stock manifolds flange hits framerail, AND sits right on top of the starter. I've had suggestions of heating up and making a dimple in the framerail. OR Street and Performance makes custom shorties for this that will work, but there's no guarantee. They have S+P"s headers in a 55 Chevy with a 78 Camaro front clip and they worked. Problem with mine is I'm putting 4" sidepipes on my car too......so no longtubes because I dont' want an "S" pipe pulling back to the primaries.

If anyone has any information or assistance I'd be THOROUGHLY appreciative because I have pretty much only a week to find resolutions for these 2 fitment issues. I thought maybe thicker motor mount plates would help RAISE the engine to avoid that pitman arm hitting the alternator....but I'm not sure if that's a good option or not.

Some pics.
This is a pic of the pass side stock Fbody manifold that hits the framerails
AND the starter as well. Not sure how to resolve this one other than a dimple in the framerail possibly, but it still sits right on top of the starter.

In this picture it shows the tight alternator area, but it also shows my old mounts, not the new ones I purchased so I'll have to ask the shop about that one.

These are the motor mounts I have purchased (with pads 4592) They also make the same kit that shifts the motor back 1" for clearance issues. I'm not sure if this would be better to get or not. Any opinions ??

Last edited by Aceshigh; 11-09-2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:08 AM
TECH Resident

What thinkness are your motor mount adapters 1/4"? If so you might try bumping up to 3/8" adapters I know people have used ones that thick in other applications and as long as your bolts are long enough it could only make the setup stronger. Just make your own and see if they work. As far as headers go I have no idea maybe one of the 3rd gen guys will chime in there.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
What thinkness are your motor mount adapters 1/4"? If so you might try bumping up to 3/8" adapters I know people have used ones that thick in other applications and as long as your bolts are long enough it could only make the setup stronger. Just make your own and see if they work. As far as headers go I have no idea maybe one of the 3rd gen guys will chime in there.
I know a guy in a machine shop that might be able to do it. Have to ask him.
I was told go 1/2" for a much better fit.

IT's a 2nd gen by the way, not a 3rd gen.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:40 AM
TECH Resident

Ah my mistake what year did 3rd gens start 84ish? It really isn't hard to make your own adapters there are templates up top in the stickies. Although I have not tackled the project yet myself, it should be fairly easy to do with a grinder and a drill press would be nice but not absolutely necessary.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3rd Gen was 82-92.

I may my own plates with 1/4" steel. Just used a d drill, Grinder with a cutting wheel.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Launching!

I put the 6.0 liter LQ9 in a 78 trans am. Those are the style plates I used. I made mine out of 10mm plate steel I can't help with the accessories but for exhaust I used a set of 2000 camaro JBA headers. They cleared everything including the starter and frame rail. I found a set of FLP longtube headers to try and have modified them to fit. I am selling the JBA headers on ebay right now. I will try to post a picture of the JBA exhaust if I still have one.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Okay, this is what I was told so far today. I asked to be sure the mounts were used and today I was told the plates WERE, but NOT the cups because they weren't fitting on top of the mounts to the bottom.

Anyone have this problem??? I'm trying to find a resolution ....these guys have done one of these swaps onto a 78 front clip, but they used the S+P plates.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I am correct (i could be wrong), the GTO acc's is very simular to the Vette acc on being space away from the block. That may be the differents in the LS1 and LQx swaps.. Acc's are closer to the block and may be different in location over the LS1 F-Body and LQx Truck (which are spaced out more that the vette/gto ?)

Would spacing out the acc (alternator) away from the block help ?

What are you 3rd Gen guys using for Acc? F-Body, Vette, Truck or GTO and CTS-V ?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Would spacing out the acc (alternator) away from the block help ?
That would completely throw off the alignment of the serpentine belts wouldn't it ??
Old 11-09-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

I think he is suggesting and trying to figure out if switching to an F-body serpentine system will help.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup.. switch the whole front setup.. if that is what it will take..
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fbody accessories on a lQ4 in my 81z and no problems. I'm using S&P plates which are nice and thick, any lower and I'd run into steering bind on the same place as you. Also the fbody alternator rear brace is not as angled back as the GTO one so that allowed me to move the engine back about 2". Looks like the fbody alt is higher as well. My vote is to change accessories as well.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! LS1 into 78 Camaro mid install issues