Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q's about conversion wiring (clutch sw. and tank level)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's about conversion wiring (clutch sw. and tank level)

I did some searches, but couldn't find any good answers.

I'm in the process of cleaning up and making a harness ready for a friend of mine, who is putting a 2002 LS1/MM6 into a '75 Nova. I'm mostly done with the removal of unused wires, but have some questions:

Q: Will he need to wire up the clutch switch? It's labeled "Clutch anticipate" some places on the net. Does anybody have a shop manual, and can post detailed what it's purpose is? The car will not have cruisecontrol, the reverse lockout will be removed from the transmission, and I wonder if I can omit this wire as well. The only thing that comes to mind, is if it's needed to slightly open the IAC, like the P/N switch on an automatic equipped car (as in preparing/waiting for a load) Anyone?

Q: I remember reading about the fuel level in the tank being monitored by the PCM, and perhaps reducing the power output when the fuel level is low. Is there anything to this? The wire is cut as of now, but can be connected to the Nova's fuel gauge, og get a resistor spliced in to make the PCM think there's a 3/4 full tank of gas all the time. If it's just sent to the PCM because of the gauges in the car (sensing off the Class2 signal?), it'll just stay removed.

Q: Not as important, but related to the question above, the oil level sensor - I can't see the PCM using it for anything, I guess it's the same as the fuel level and engine temperature. The PCM just receives it, interprets it, and sends the signal out the diagnostic link, for the gauges to display/warn the driver.

All emissions controls as EVAP, AIR, sec O2 sensors have also been removed, and wil be edited out/troublecodes blocked, as AC, VATS, CAGS and the reverse lockout. (HPtuners)

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisNorway
I did some searches, but couldn't find any good answers.

I'm in the process of cleaning up and making a harness ready for a friend of mine, who is putting a 2002 LS1/MM6 into a '75 Nova. I'm mostly done with the removal of unused wires, but have some questions:

Q: Will he need to wire up the clutch switch? It's labeled "Clutch anticipate" some places on the net. Does anybody have a shop manual, and can post detailed what it's purpose is? The car will not have cruisecontrol, the reverse lockout will be removed from the transmission, and I wonder if I can omit this wire as well. The only thing that comes to mind, is if it's needed to slightly open the IAC, like the P/N switch on an automatic equipped car (as in preparing/waiting for a load) Anyone?
Don't need it. It's for cruise control.

Q: I remember reading about the fuel level in the tank being monitored by the PCM, and perhaps reducing the power output when the fuel level is low. Is there anything to this? The wire is cut as of now, but can be connected to the Nova's fuel gauge, og get a resistor spliced in to make the PCM think there's a 3/4 full tank of gas all the time. If it's just sent to the PCM because of the gauges in the car (sensing off the Class2 signal?), it'll just stay removed.
Don't need it. Just remove it.

Q: Not as important, but related to the question above, the oil level sensor - I can't see the PCM using it for anything, I guess it's the same as the fuel level and engine temperature. The PCM just receives it, interprets it, and sends the signal out the diagnostic link, for the gauges to display/warn the driver.
I don't think this even goes into the PCM just straight to the dash.

All emissions controls as EVAP, AIR, sec O2 sensors have also been removed, and wil be edited out/troublecodes blocked, as AC, VATS, CAGS and the reverse lockout. (HPtuners)

Thank you in advance.
Why remove reverse lock out? I would keep it, considering it will help from damaging the tranmission and I see no reason to get rid of it.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wire the Reverse lock out to a 12+volt sourse and switch.. That way you will not go in to reverse while your at speed and mis shift into Reverse.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Thank you very much for the info!

We'll be removing the reverse lockout because of clearance, less clutter and to say it strangely - to be in control our selves. This wasn't a problem in the 60's, 70's or 80's, why make a device to stop Joe Public from doing something that's almost impossible to accomplish in the first place? Even when shifting fast it wil be difficult to get it in reverse by accident. And if we do - it's our own fault - not electronics tring to keep us from it. This may be difficult to understand to some. I actually found the thread on how to remove it here on this site, so we're not alone.

I know most cars leave the factory with automatics in the states, but over here in Europe almost every car is equipped with stickshift. My friend nor me have ever had any problem with shifting to reverse by acciden without any measure to keep us from doing so, and judging by the spring pressure that has to be overcome to enter the reverse gate, this will never become a problem. Unless ofcourse you have grown up driving automatic equipped cars I guess..?

Again, thanks for the replys.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fuel level and oil level sensor are not used for anything as far as I know. But I believe the computer uses the engine temperature sensor.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Yes, the only temp.sensor on the engine is the one above the alternator in the driversside head, and the signal goes to the PCM only. Same thing with the oil level sensor, the signal goes to the PCM. That's why I conclude that the instrument panel uses the Class 2 / DLC signal to get the signals to display in the instrumentpanel. The oilpressure signal on the other hand goes directly from the sensor to the instrument panel.

Quick Reply: Q's about conversion wiring (clutch sw. and tank level)