Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 power steering pump with older steering box.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 power steering pump with older steering box.

Anyone running this? My 63 truck had power steering with the SBC and now with the LS1 I would like to keep power steering. I figured using the LS1 power steering pump and fabing some lines, but do I need some sort of regulator due to different pressures?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same with my Jeep. I do not have a lot of miles (maybe 5 miles total, dang tranny) but it seems to work fine. The steering is definitely lighter, which is a good thing in a Jeep with 35's...
Old 12-04-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it works perfectly fine with the older style boxes like whats in my 91 camaro... for the lines, im using the 4thgen ones, since they have the same fittings on both ends... if you swap in a later GM box (saay, a quick ratio one..) that uses the late model metric oring fittings, its almost a bolt in assuming the box is close enough to the steering pump.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It works fine with my 71 chevelle box.. if anything, you might be able to change the valving in the pump if it the pressure is too much and giving you problems.

My friend had to change the spacers in the valve.. Not sure what is involved.. but I know he has the same type of pump.

Last edited by bczee; 05-05-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Chevelle Ifinished building last month blew a hole in the side of it's -6 AN line on the pressure side after a few days of driving. It could have just been a bad line though, but we replaced it with one from NAPA
Old 12-05-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the LS1 pump with a 68 Nova steering box. Over 2k miles so far without a problem. Just needed a custom hose made on the pressure side. Took the LS1 hose and the original hose to the hose shop and told them I needed one however many inches long with these type ends. They put a swivel type end on the box end so I could align the bend right.

Pat
Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Got lots of miles on my Chevelle and works great!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

5100+ miles on my swap. No regulator, just got lines fabbed with the Camaro end on the pump and the truck end on the box. It WILL show off any limitations in your setup, though...first thing it did was blow out most of the old seals in the power steering box.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to a hydraulic shop and had them merge the stock '68 pickup high pressure line onto the '01 TA high pressure line. I also had them make a low pressure line, but later had to get a stock '68 pickup low pressure line and just use it as-is. Fit like a champ. No miles on the truck yet, been close to firing up for months with little time to finish and a few missing ends here and there to tie up.

Pics of the lines are in my buildup thread (see signature)
Old 12-08-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Russell AN fitting and theirTeflon lined Stainless Steel tubing for the High side.. and just some regular rubber P/S low pressure hose for the low side. Once I Pick up some more Tubing, I will convert the low pressure side also (I already bought the fittings).
Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

I know this is an old thread, but I'm understanding that none of you are having any issues with low assist using an LS1 pump and a quick ratio box?

I'm also running a hydroboost system... which may be affecting things...

It seems when I change directions quickly, the assist drops out and it feels like I have almost no assist. Slow changes aren't bad, but quick wheel movements and changing directions from left to right or right to left drops assist.
Where should I be looking next to try to resolve this issue?

Quick Reply: LS1 power steering pump with older steering box.