Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gen a/c questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2nd gen a/c questions

73 firebird with air already. want to use stock controls (can send out for modification) the opinion of any builders who have experience with more than one brand of aftermarket systems would probably help many on this forum.

question 1: who makes a bracket to install a sanden compressor in the stock ls1 position?

question 2: who makes the better system? vintage air, classic auto air, hot rod air, old air? or are there others?

question 3: should i just upgrade my old stuff? what need upgrading?

question 4: old air makes a heater control valve that recircs the water back to the water pump when the heater is not being used (which the ls1 needs), but its plastic. does anyone make a metal one?

thanx joel
Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Teching In

These are good questions relevant to my 2nd gen project just begun. I have no factory a/c on my 70 Camaro, but have a complete '98 F-body donor a/c, including dash & underdash, wiring, condensor, etc. Anyone experienced in attempting a 4th gen a/c transplant? Or should I just pay for the aftermarket system & be done.

Thx, Griff
Old 02-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Launching!

i remember hearing guys having done that. whether on here or over on pro-touring.com in the heat and a/c section, i cant remember. try searching using 2nd gen or second gen in both places. i dont have a donor for those pieces or i would have already figured that out. after market will cost about a grand. joel
Old 02-04-2007, 04:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to run the hot rod air set up in my '72 Chevelle, but I got rid of the old box and welded the hold in the firewall shut. Vintage air makes a bracket to bolt a sanden 508 compressor into the stock f-body a/c compressor mount. I'm not sure if it uses the same belt or not, it should be fairly close. With a vintage air set up you have to end up running a sanden compressor anyway because the stock f-body compressor won't work with their aftermarket a/c systems.

I think I am going to use the hot rod air set up, for about $100 you mail them your stock a/c controls and they will fit them to work with their a/c system. Plus, I'm not a real big fan of a big polished billet a/c control panel in my bone stock interior.

I know the a/c can be run through the pcm so the compressor will shut off at wot and the electric fans will kick on when you need them. But it might be easier just to make it a "stand alone" style and not run the a/c through the pcm.

You should be able to use all of your old a/c equipment, I got rid of mind for a more clean look in the engine compartment. The a/c worked fine when I pulled it out. However the newer a/c systems are much colder and hotter as far as the tempature ranges and the hot rod air set ups have things like additional hepa filters and build in fresh air access for a bit more money. If you are going to use the stock a/c stuff you should at least change the dryer, replace the seals in the lines, and think about converting over to the newer refrigerant.

BRIAN
Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Launching!

I am going to use a 96 corvette compressor, stock evap. and condensor and 96 impala ss receiver/dryer. I'm going to use the relay in my 02 escalade harness to turn the compressor on with the stock 78 trans am controls. I am going to have new lines made at a Parker Hydraulics store. I only have the compressor mounted now. You can see a picture of this if you search for accessory brackets. It is high on the passenger side.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Launching!

you might want to check on that condenser i was told an old r12 style condenser doesn't provide suficient cooling for r-134, and that you need a modern condenser (smaller fins). dont know how true that is or if the aftermarket guy was just trying to sell me a new condenser. i was planning on reusing my old one too. still doing research. joel
Old 02-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Launching!

On my 2nd gen, I used a high-mount passenger side bracket to mount a Sanden compressor. The brackets are sold by Modern Classics Automotive, (503) 635-8252, ask for Steve. That way, you don't have to cut your subframe to clear an A/C compressor - I'm always amazed at how people just blithely cut big notches in their subframes, substantially reducing their rigidity in the process.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Default condensor

The old r12 condensor will not handle the duties of a system charged with r134. It does not have enough surface area to dissipate the higher heat generated by the r134 freon. I tried using it and the high side pressure will climb till the system will stop cooling. Airflow across the condensor wasnt a problem. It was the size. I would stuff the biggest condensor possible into the car. Oh and for the guy that made the comment about cutting the frames for ac compressor clearance. I dont see the problem with cutting it as long as it is boxed in correctly with a thick enough material. I dont see any weakness in mine. Besides, an ac compressor up top is kinda an eyesore. Hope this helps, Josh
Old 02-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Launching!

i did box mine in already with 1/8 plate fully welded. its probably stronger than rest of the frame thats only tacked in spots. and i agree that the high mounted compressor is not only uglier but it doesn't use a seperate belt like stock.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

71CamaroLS1 - before I call Modern Classics about the AC mount do you happen to have a picture of yours?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Launching!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...QQcmdZViewItem

I spoke with Eagle about their replacement condenser. They said it has more fins and will work fine with R134. They also rebuild original dryers to work with R134. I told him what components I have and he said the system should work fine. Where have other people sourced their replacement parts?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Teching In

take all the r12/134a conversion info with a grain of salt.
My 72 K5 with all original componets installed blows 38 degree out the vents.
All i did was adjust my POA valve(pre 74?) and charge as normal with a 134a conversion.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you use these a/c brackets with a early 90's compressor? http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/...?v=1&pid=12165
Old 02-28-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

I'm using everything from Hot Rod Air. I'm using a stock F body compressor with their adapter block. Great people to work with, good products.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen a/c questions