Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z-bar to LS1 Template

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z-bar to LS1 Template

I was checking out the FAQ section and found the layout of the motor mounts on there. Very nice, makes it so I can build my own and have them powder coated. I was wondering if anyone has the same type template for the clutch Z-bar mounts.

Thanks for any help on this one.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Launching!

This is the template I found for the motor mounts. Something similiar has to be out there for the Z-bar mount on the block side.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

I think most of us 60's/70's GM guys are using the 2001+ Fbody hydraulic clutch with an adapter to mount the clutch master cylinder to the firewall. The LS1 Fbody bellhousing doesn't have a provision for a mechanical clutch fork. I'm using ATS' adapter kit for my '68 Camaro. http://www.t56kit.com

Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eddie i made one. but the headers were a problem, with the headers cost at $700 dollars i was not going to cut them up. so i went with a hydraulic set up. but with the right headers,no problem i think i still have the plate i made to mount the ball stud on the bell. i will look for it mike
Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Launching!

I guess I should have added I want to use my stock, manual clutch setup at this point. Only for reasons of saving money am I not thinking hydraulic at this point. But, FWIW, I may jump over to the hydraulic clutch when I get down to it. I am wanting to use my existing transmission as it is a 5 speed and only has 5K miles or so on it.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
eddie i made one. but the headers were a problem, with the headers cost at $700 dollars i was not going to cut them up. so i went with a hydraulic set up. but with the right headers,no problem i think i still have the plate i made to mount the ball stud on the bell. i will look for it mike

Mike I would greatly appreciate that. That would knock another obstacle down for me.

I am going to be using Z06 exhaust manifolds on my setup right now. Later I may try and build my own set. I don't even know if there are any ready made header for C3 vette to LS motors yet.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Eddie , Are you going to use your kiesler 5 speed ? If so you dont want to use the mount plates pictured they will mount the motor to far forward and your shifter won't line up properly. I made a mount for my Z bar pic attached . Also attached a pic of the motor mount I made. I used factory LS6 exhaust manifolds and they interfered with my Z bar so I cut and sectioned it for clearance and it works great. Do a search under my name for more pics of my 70 Corvette convertable with a LQ4. Stan
Attached Thumbnails Z-bar to LS1 Template-picture-012.jpg   Z-bar to LS1 Template-picture-011.jpg  
Old 02-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sssuch
Eddie , Are you going to use your kiesler 5 speed ? If so you dont want to use the mount plates pictured they will mount the motor to far forward and your shifter won't line up properly. I made a mount for my Z bar pic attached . Also attached a pic of the motor mount I made. I used factory LS6 exhaust manifolds and they interfered with my Z bar so I cut and sectioned it for clearance and it works great. Do a search under my name for more pics of my 70 Corvette convertable with a LQ4. Stan

I am going to use the Keisler so I guess I need to scrap that idea with the plates I posted earlier. Here is another version of the motor mounts I found. They look similiar to yours. What do you think about these motor mounts?

On your Z-bar mount, where does it mount at the rear? The front is mounted at the motor mount?
Thanks for the help on this.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are what are commonly called BRP Style motor plates. They are generally used but require that the Frame Mounts be relocated as needed.. (weld or bolt).
Old 02-13-2007, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
I am going to use the Keisler so I guess I need to scrap that idea with the plates I posted earlier. Here is another version of the motor mounts I found. They look similiar to yours. What do you think about these motor mounts?

On your Z-bar mount, where does it mount at the rear? The front is mounted at the motor mount?
Thanks for the help on this.
Eddie ' You really don't want to use that one , it will put your motor about 2 inches or so foreward. What you need to do is bolt a blank set of mount plates to your motor be sure that they extend foreward about 3 inches past the front block mounting bolts ( you will probably have to use flathead countersunk bolts in the front 2)bolt your factory rubber mounts to the car frame. Now bolt the engine and trans together I used a Lakewood blow proof #15005 lower it into the car bolt the trans to the crossmember , level and square up engine on the mounts , when youre happy with where its at mark holes in mount plates take them off and drill the holes bolt it all back together and its done. The Lakewood bell has a bracket on it that I used to attatch the Z-bar bracket. Stan
Old 02-14-2007, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Here is another way to go on the Z-bar bracket:
The SDPC Exclusive Clutch pivot ball brackets are for use on Generation V & VI blocks. These pivot brackets provide proper mounting position and alignment of your Z-bar on all GM cars and pick-ups. The super strong brackets can handle the high pressures of racing clutches. A longer bracket is available for use on corvettes. Pivot ball is included.

SDPC Clutch Pivot Ball Brackets
Part # Part Name Price
SDCB Clutch Pivot Ball Bracket for GM Cars and Trucks $59.95 Add to Order
SDCBV Clutch Pivot Ball Bracket for Corvettes $59.95 Add to Order
Old 02-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sssuch
Here is another way to go on the Z-bar bracket:
The SDPC Exclusive Clutch pivot ball brackets are for use on Generation V & VI blocks. These pivot brackets provide proper mounting position and alignment of your Z-bar on all GM cars and pick-ups. The super strong brackets can handle the high pressures of racing clutches. A longer bracket is available for use on corvettes. Pivot ball is included.

SDPC Clutch Pivot Ball Brackets
Part # Part Name Price
SDCB Clutch Pivot Ball Bracket for GM Cars and Trucks $59.95 Add to Order
SDCBV Clutch Pivot Ball Bracket for Corvettes $59.95 Add to Order

This one, SDCBV, is for corvettes. Wonder if it will mount to the LS motor. I may shoot them an email and see for sure.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Should fit it mounts to the 2 lower bellhousing bolts , there the same big block , small block , or LSX
Old 02-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Excellent. I think I will order me one in the next few days. I want to get most of the parts in hand before I start the actual installation.

Thanks for you help on this sssuch. It has been great.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

I know this is an old topic....But I just got my LS1 out of a 98 WS6 T/A. Its going into a 70 Chevelle. I would like to use my M21 4 speed trans with the Lakewood 15005 bellhousing. Should I bolt it toghether as suggested above, bolt the trans to the crossmember, and then locate my engine mounts? Anyone done this lately since this post is very old? Or should I sell my M21 and pick up a different trans? Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Teching In

I would say do it the same way. I was planning on it. I also bought the Scoggin-Dickey clutch adapter bracket. Engine not in car yet, but in next week or so.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Please keep us updated.. I would like to stay mechanical clutch in my 66 chevelle.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Back from the dead.... anyone using this set up successfully on an LS1 with mechanical clutch? I'm hoping to run my M21, with a 621 bellhousing, thru a McLeod rst twin disc set up... on a 6.0Liter...new to this so I know little.... well, more than I did two months ago but still know little! Thanks.

Steve
Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Eddie 70

This one, SDCBV, is for corvettes. Wonder if it will mount to the LS motor. I may shoot them an email and see for sure.
I am running this on the 77 and it should work on all LS swapped with Z-bar.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You can use the 621 bellhousing stud mount (pic in post 1 of link below)
Or SDparts sells 2 different bolt on ones (links in post 6 below)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html

Originally Posted by 70Z28LQ4
Back from the dead.... anyone using this set up successfully on an LS1 with mechanical clutch? I'm hoping to run my M21, with a 621 bellhousing, thru a McLeod rst twin disc set up... on a 6.0Liter...new to this so I know little.... well, more than I did two months ago but still know little! Thanks.

Steve

Quick Reply: Z-bar to LS1 Template