Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls2-4l80e Chevelle **UPDATED WITH PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is sweet John. I also have a 67 vert that I'm planning on doing something very similar. Currently, I have a 396 in it. (Not an SS) Looks like you bought your LS2 brand new (I think). Did you look into buying a good used one? If I'm correct that you bought a new one, what made you go new? I'm on a tight budget so I'm tying to be frugal but smart. Don't want to do something that I'll regret later. Thats why I'm asking.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Any updates John?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

looks good keep us updates I hope to have some updates soon
Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

update...bought a vintage air compressor & bracket to mount near stock location but definetly conflicts with front crossmember.( i didnt want to notch it or relocate it to the upper pass. side.) so i moved the engine up and foward and grinded the stock a c bracket and new compressor, flipped the vintage air bracket to raise the comp. up & in a bit & still might have some more mods , I just bought a pair of truck manifolds and taller engine mounts. Ill put them as well as the steering to see it it all fits and then ill see if the trans tunnel needs mods.its a big tug of war between all the components .anyone have a good 67 conv body? rantheman lovin your project. John
Old 07-26-2007, 04:13 AM

man sweet *** ride! That is the exact same conversion I am getting ready to do,, just bought a new 408 LS2 block for my 68'. Plan on using the speartech as well with a built 4L80E from Chris over at cktransmissions.
Did you use the moroso swap pan / and motor mounts from jegs?
Can you give me a little details on the fuel system? (stock tank, size of lines, etc?)
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

s&p oil pan, carshop adaptor plates,they come bare metal just need to be painted,same as other more pricey plates, no fuel system yet but rock valley? seems like a good choice ,i'd like to use a stock tank with a new pump setup.progress is slow, just sent out my steering box for a close ratio rebuild,bought & waiting for a set of camaro ls1 ex- manifolds & building some contraption in my garage to lift the body on and off without using jacks, cinderblocks 4x4s,2x4s,ratchet tie downs,pipes & come-a-longs. JOHN
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just an update , installed rebuilt steering box with a closer ratio ( 3 turns lock to lock instead of 4.5), checked inner tie rod clearances ,they were hitting the oil pan so i raised it up( short & wide frame mounts,tall energy engine mounts,and two engine mount tension plates on each side) & pushed it back a bit .4l80e is real tight . i leveled chasis & the trans is angled down slightly i didnt put a protractor on it yet but by eye it looks good.seems ill get all the trans plugs on ,may have to modify tunnel for trans cooling lines ,ill have to change trans mounting studs to bolts,( its really close)& ill need a flexable trans dipstick tube. lokar? abonded ac for now ,looking into getting an an ATI damper with the ac pulley foward of the main pulley,making my own brackets and getting a side exit compressor ,as in hot rods april issue. exhaust ; after buying a pair of f body and a pair of truck manifolds i wasnt happy with either so ... i ordered a pair of headers from s&p should be here in a couple of weeks. ECU - just learned that speartech now has the setup for a ls2/7 with a 4l80e ( as well as a 6l80e)very good news ,im glad i waited instead of buying 2 seperate controllers.sorry no pics JOHN
Old 09-15-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Need more pics! sweet project.
Those lokar dipsticks are sweet!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Updates Photos 9/22/07

Tie rod oil pan clearance, transmission clearance & frame/engine mounts as of now...

Passenger tie rod

Swaybar bushing

Oil pan & frame mounts

Oil pan

Trans

Transmission

Transmission

Block to firewall clearance

Frame mount passenger side

Steering box

Frame mount

Tie rod

Tie rod drivers side

Block & Trans clearance
Old 09-22-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

looking good-i picked up a 6.0 out of a 3500 chevy express van im gonna use for my 69-the exhaust manifolds look pretty free flowing, i might try and see if they fit-pretty obvious thr p/s will hit the steering box, but looks like your setup might clear
Old 09-22-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't the heaters hoses, on a big block car, come out closer to the fender? If you could find the parts, you would have a lot more room for the hoses.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going with a vintage air system which should eliminate that problem. JOHN
Old 09-22-2007, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Didn't the heaters hoses, on a big block car, come out closer to the fender? If you could find the parts, you would have a lot more room for the hoses.
Actually, Camaro's are the only ones with the "big block" heater. But the parts can be interchanged, Camaro/Chevelle.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default S & P header pics

Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Looking good John those shortie headers fit great. Which front drive accessories are you using? Looks like Corvette.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes corvette ,no real issues except for the ac . will get back to that later.JOHN
Old 10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

John,
What made you choose the S&P over Hooker headers?

I have a 67 hardtop that I am going to run an LS2 with a T56 ... I have ATS mounts and so far I just have a bare block and T56 sitting in a bare rolling chassis....
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a few reasons,first im still not 100% on the height of the engine,so if i was to go too far up the headers might hit the floor ,unlikely but still possible .second there are some mixed reports from ls1 tech members , mostly good but some header sets not shipped with collectors or o2 bungs.third they look great.fourth ,im using a 4l80 trans so i didnt know if that would be an issue with the hookers.s&p gauranteed them to fit and they seem to stand by their work and are always willing to spend the time with you ( i bought my oil pan from them to.strangely enough the drivers side header flange and collector flange hits the edge of the trans inspection cover.nothing a little grinding cant fix ,its about a 1/4'',there is no room to move the header outward toward the chasis.s&p forgot to tell me that ,not a big deal .s&p has informed other members on this site and they still have used the headers.JOHN
Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a quick update, not much progress lately but I have fabricated a trans crossmember out of 1/2' x 2' flat stock and am waiting to get it back from having some reinforcement pieces welded in ,once i have it back ill bolt it all up then off to the body shop? JOHN
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Launching!

John,

Because you are using the (Y body)Corvette accessory drive, you could use the balancer,crank pulley that Mark Steadlow had Fluid dampener make for his Camaro X project.It puts the AC compressor pulley in front or the main belt not behind.He may even have a different AC compressor bracket for you.

Where did you get the accessory drive from? What did it cost(less the AC stuff)

Quick Reply: Ls2-4l80e Chevelle **UPDATED WITH PICS**