Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all the ls1 vacuum ports, which are important to be connected? and to where?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default all the ls1 vacuum ports, which are important to be connected? and to where?

i started thinking about all the vacuum ports all over the engine today and now im having an anxiety attack.

theres one under the throttle body thats suppose to be going to the radiator, i dont have a port in my radiator for this. what can i do?

theres also a small port on the back of the intake(not the big port, theres another tiny one exiting torwars the passenger side).. what is this for? do i need to put a hose to it? if so where does the other end of the hose go

theres also this thing, it has a tiny vacuum port on it also- can someone also tell me what it is? and why it needs a vacuum line connected to it?

im sure there are more vacuum ports im forgetting, i know that if some vaccumm lines arnt connected it will cause your engine to run bad. which is something i dont want soo please help, thanks!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the line that goes to the radiator...search "steam vent" and you will come up with tons of ways to correct it. The small port on the back of the manifold...it is just vacuum for the dash controls for A/C on most cars and trucks...its an aux vacuum port for the dash components...if you dont need it cap it. As for the one on the top of the intake...i dunno...but i would assume another aux port...and can be just capped.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right... The little one on the back is for your VAC feed for your HVAC stuff and your VAC reservoir. Your jeep should have has a line similar, probably on top of the intake towards the back. Probably t's off a couple times. You can just hook it right up to that port.

Search for the steam vent...but some people drill and tap their water pump. Some "T" it into one of the coolant lines... There are a few ways to do it. Im not a huge help because I used a 4th gen f-body radiator in my car and the hook up was there.

The cylinder on top the intake is your EVAP purge solenoid. There is a line that goes from the f-body gas tank up into the engine bay. That line connects to that solenoid, then a line from that solenoid goes into that other port at the FRONT of your intake. Its down behind and below the throttle body. Should look like a quick disconnect slips onto it.

Anyway...I think I remember you using a custom tank. So the EVAP means nothing to you. As long as that is true, you can delete that little solenoid, and either cap off the intake, or use it as another VAC port if you need it for some reason. If you arent using a custom tank and Im thinkin about someone else, just post up and we can help you around it...

You should/will need to have the EVAP functions tuned out of your PCM just to get rid of it...

That calm your anxiety alittle bit???

Justin

P.S.... The brake booster is the only thing you NEED to have hooked up for your engine to run properly. The other ports are for operating vehicle functions or for emisions. You COULD just put VAC caps on them for now and get the engine running. Then sort it out. But you should have a simple enough set up going on where it wont be a big deal.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
i started thinking about all the vacuum ports all over the engine today and now im having an anxiety attack.

theres one under the throttle body thats suppose to be going to the radiator, i dont have a port in my radiator for this. what can i do?

theres also a small port on the back of the intake(not the big port, theres another tiny one exiting towards the passenger side).. what is this for? do i need to put a hose to it? if so where does the other end of the hose go

theres also this thing, it has a tiny vacuum port on it also- can someone also tell me what it is? and why it needs a vacuum line connected to it?

im sure there are more vacuum ports im forgetting, i know that if some vacuum lines arnt connected it will cause your engine to run bad. which is something i dont want soo please help, thanks!

relax... just take them one at a time.

first, the thing you circled.
on a modern car, the fuel system is sealed. with the tank sealed off, it wont let fuel vapor out. if the pressure in the tank from the fuel vapor gets too high, or if the tank needs more air in it (because fuel was pulled out) then this vent opens... the line goes from the tank vent to the black solenoid... then from that noid to the front of the intake manifold... this is just so the engine sucks the vapors.. nothing more..
if this is not an emissions legal swap, and you're using your stock fuel system, you can remove it... this removes the need for a vent line, and you can just cap/plug the port on the intake.

look below the intake, on the top of the heads. going across the front of the motor is a coolant line.
this coolant line is so that any air trapped at the top pockets of the heads can bleed out of this line....
the line goes from the top of the heads thru the bottom of the throttlebody.
it only goes to the throttle body so that the throttlebody will not ice up in an artic winter.
it then goes to the return side of the coolent system. this can be the radiator (like on an Fbody) a coolant line (like on some trucks) or a drilled/tapped hole on the waterpump (like some conversion people do)
in the end, its all connecting to the same place... the only idea here is that the air bubbles get out of the motor, and work their way to the radiator, where the tank cap will bleed it out.

on the passenger side of the throttlebody, theres a vent.
this is a clean air vent... meaning its plain old regular air that went thru the air filter.. thats it.. nothing special... its reason for being there is so clean air goes INTO the motors CRANKCASE.
behind that on the intake, is another vent. it connects to the crankcase by either the passenger valvecover, or the valley cover, depending on your motor... this is for air to go FROM the CRANKCASE and into the engine... this is also the line some people put a catchcan on (totally optional).

on the back of the motor, you have the nub coming off there.. the hole at the top is for the MAP sensor ( you probably already have the sensor in there)

the large nipple off the back is for the brake booster.

the tiny nipple pointing off of that nub is for your HVAC system.

i believe thats all of them
Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome thanks alot guys, i was hoping the only thing i needed to hook up was the brake booster, which is easily done

Quick Reply: all the ls1 vacuum ports, which are important to be connected? and to where?